Dear BHVR, will you finally convince Patrick to change the Survivor MMR calculations?

I am writing from the point of a mainly solo q player (60% solo q surv, 10% SWF, 30% Freddy) who only ever used Dead Hard for the tome challenges that required it. You were unhappy with a 55% escape rate, for some (to me) insane reason. You were unhappy for the state of the game in so far as SWFs were concerned. So, therefore, you decided to buff killers whilst also making core gameplay changes such as gen speeds. None of this is a problem, in a vacuum, however, all together, you have made the gameplay experience absolutely, excruciatingly miserable for solo q players who both lack the information and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, the incentive to get off their extra long thana gen to help a teammate.

Now, what could possibly cause someone to prioritize their own life over the good of the team? Well, it's the absurd life v death MMR calculations for survivors. You've made it much easier for killers to kill (I could make another post on how boring killer gameplay is for me rn, and I really probably only have like 300 hours in killer) and very difficult to escape.

Personally, I would be completely fine with this if your entire calculation of MMR was not based on whether or not you live. You don't care if we run the killer for 2, now 20 second longer, gens or go down for a teammate dead on hook to prevent a tunnel out. You don't care if Yui spends the whole game doing Rift or Daily challenges, or gets unhooked with Off the Record and walks around doing absolutely nothing for 80 seconds, as long as they escape, right?

None of this makes any sense. Your current changes and MMR calculations, in so far as they exist, reward selfish, single-minded OR SWF gameplay. This is NOT the game we want to play, on either side. I want a challenge. I want to be chased, I want to trade hooks for the betterment of the team. I want to chase all 4 survivors, I want multiple hooks on multiple people. This is the game. This is fun. Playing selfishly to preserve your own life or tunneling out 2 of 4 people in order to maintain an arbitrary MMR calculation is not fun.


For the first time in many Rifts, I am not spending auric cells on the premium rewards. I am not buying new skins and I am, frankly, playing this game about 25% as much as I would have normally until something changes.

And, to the peanut gallery, FWIW, prior to this update (even though I've played the majority of my time in this game as solo q!) I have lobbied with the likes of Vulpixia and OhTofu - not A LOT but enough so that I can affirm I'm not a complete neophyte. I am confident many of you are MUCH better than me but I think this is important to mention because I am sure folks will come in here saying get gud. I know I am nowhere near their level, but y'all can talk about the softcap of MMR somewhere else. :)

Comments