Thoughts on the new update?
Greetings survivors, killers, and both-siders of the Fog! I hope this thread finds you doing well.
So, today was the big day, eh? New update dropping, Dead Hard nerfed (FINALLY), Thanatophobia buffed, Legion and Plague apocalypse, bla bla bla...Originally, my plan was to take a good look at those red backgrounds, even if they are a VERY poor excuse of a reward and immediately close the game.
But...
Each Forum post here was more confusing than the other, and 95% of them had a complaint of sorts (which is not unusual, but still...) and it was getting a bit difficult to catch up. So I decided to wake up my inner GLaDOS and put my differences with current DBD behind us...for science.
And well...the result was interesting.
Now, I didn't play MANY trials, because everyone knows I can't stand current DBD for long periods of time, especially if I am by myself, but I did get to see most of the stuff that got changed. And imma just say it right now: there was an impact.
Those changes definitely made an impact.
The DH nerf easily takes the spotlight on this one, and it is such a good change that now I REALLY wish the devs had the same idea back in 2017, when they designed the perk or a few weeks after its release. This had to be done, and in a perfect scenario it would have been done a long time ago.
There is also an odd absence of Decisive Strike...really, in the spam of a few matches I believe I only saw it twice. I don't think the 3-seconds stun time is a terrible change, mostly because DS actually worked like that in the past. Whether or not this perk has been killed remains to be seen.
Now, as for the killer buffs...I have some mixed feelings towards them. I get why they did it, especially with the "Hold W Meta" (which is a stupid thing, btw), but I believe they could have buffed Brutal Strength and Fire Up instead. As for the elephant in the room...
Thanatophobia...
It has always been one of my favorite perks and seeing it finally buffed felt good. I used it on all of my games, and its usefulness is clear. Paired with gens taking longer, and Legion and Plague being...ya know, I can see this perk being a part of the "new meta", if we can even call it that way.
But, at the same time, there is some damage to be taken into consideration. Things seem to have gotten a bit rough for Solo Queue, even more so than they already were. Look, I strongly believe that the difficulty level of playing solo survivor was not as scary as some people made it out to be, mostly based on my experiences with solo q from 2018 until leaving the Fog.
But now... This update hasn't been kind to it, and I would not be surprised if there are complaints on the way.
Overall, I believe this patch did a few things which were needed...and many which were not, and perhaps even more so than most patches in DBD's recent history. I don't get why they nerfed BBQ, Ruin, Self-Care, and many others. If the objective truly was changing the meta, there are better ways to do it.
But then again, remember that everything you just read are the words of an old dog, one that no longer cares, plays...or even recognizes the game which he used to love.
And you, dear reader? What do you think of the changes released today?
I will be more than happy to read them!
-Signed by GeneralV, the Master of Old DBD.
P.S: If you would like to see my build for the day, here it is:

Comments
Definitely a good update. It's got a few teething problems that will surely be ironed out soon (or... maybe not, but y'know), but those aren't even close to stopping it being overall very positive.
I've played I think two matches of killer and a fair number more of survivor since this update hit, and for an update that's partially designed towards making killer stronger, it's surprisingly painless on the survivor side. I personally barely noticed the extra ten seconds on generators, and the only actual problems I faced were the normal solo queue stuff - like my last match where I was left to die on hook by two people healing themselves across the map lol.
Seeing such variety and having such an encouragement to try out new combinations is extremely refreshing after so long of the game being stale and heavily emphasising certain tools on both sides. There's still a little emphasis there- you're still gonna want some slowdown and some anti-tunnel, respectively, but at least it's different tools for those two things and some pretty solid basekit versions of both.
Overall, it's a great first move towards fixing a lot of problems. The work's not done but the game already feels a lot better.
In what way is the nerf for ruin a good thing? Sure a lot of people used the perk but that was in a time where Gen speeds hadn’t been changed and it was necessary to even be able to have a fair match or chance at winning as killer. To say a perk needs to be nerfed simply because a lot of people use it is objectively dumb. As far as balance goes a perk needs to be nerfed when there’s a case for it being too strong and overpowered like dead hard being a genuinely overpowered second chance perk that required no skill, taking no risk just simply press a button to win wheras Ruin is a Hex totem meaning if even one survivor stumbles into the totem the killer loses an entire perk slot, if one survivor has a totem hunting or boon build the perk gets no value and the killer wasted a slot and even then if that’s not the case as soon as survivors realize Ruin was in place that’s incentive to go destroy it. Give me a logical argument or reason as to why a perk that is a litteral gamble from the get go that has a massive chance to see little or no use/value in a match shouldn’t be powerful?
Oh wait you can’t and the only reason this nerf happened was because the devs love to cater to the survivor playerbase that has never touched the play as killer option and doesn’t know anything about balance or fairness or how the game even works they simply wanna get free escapes and if they can’t do that they cry to the devs that killers are overpowered and the devs listen because the game is geared towards people who only play survivor and bring in more players and invite friends because there’s naturally gonna be less killer players in a 1v4 game.
The update is overall a decent improvement. Maybe the survivor side has been nerfed a tad too much, but the game is constantly evolving and adjusting, and when more data gets in, alongside where people adjust to the changes, there will absolutely be changes in future.
The perks were the absolute best changes, and there will be more variety in setups. It's nice to see people experimenting, and as a randomizer player it's very refreshing.
Killer feels like it should be respected, and survivor feels more like a survival role, rather than a smug role. As a solo q guy, I have noticed my escape rate drop, but I have still escaped. Solo q could now do with some changes to assist, but with time maybe it won't be so bad. The worst thing about survivor is having other survivors just give it in a hissy fit.
But yeah, overall I'm very happy.
Ugh nailed right on the f*cking head.
Solo que blows. If you don't have friends or worse, experienced friends and are new or returning to DBD from one hiatus or another, the matchmaking is so freaking unbalanced. Dead hard was a God send for solos. But also almost nothing is stopping killers from camping and tunneling. I've been lucky personally to not have to deal with that but my friends haven't been as lucky and it's a game killer, always has been except for us stubborn few. Kind of a bummer to nerf the only real defense against that.
Killing the meta is one thing but they've been non stop nerfing the most useful perks in the game for survivors in a game where the killers will always be unbalancedly OP. Old vets will adapt mind you. I just feel sorry for the new kids who will inevitably give up on the game. For one thing you can feel the frustration from players in messages. Things that used to never be a problem like shaking your head as a killer seems to make players lose their ######### now.
Ending on a positive note: Love perks like thanataphobia for killer. Lots of fun, wouldn't say it wasn't meta though so I thought that was a weird one to buff. Love the new blood web system. It's appealing to new and old players who hate losing perks when upgrading ranks.
That's all I've got for nice things to say about DBD atm. Currently playing a few games at a time. Trying to not bully survivor's too hard as killer and trying to not die every survivor game which is the frustrating part. Not entirely sure as a whole this update will make the game better but only time will tell.
Feela better tbh. While full tunneling seems to be a trend lately, the killers often get punished for it with several gen pops.
As someone who also enjoys killer, it's always fun seeing a killer with poor macro just give survivors PiP points. Legit I had a Deathslinger today that just camped all game with an Iri mori, realized he never actually hooked me so he couldnt mori me, and I ended up with like 32k AS SURVIVOR. Hell the team were killin it too for literally being face camped into oblivion.