BHVR Please Keep Prestiging Free

With the post-PTB update I've been prestiging my lower level survivors so that they'll be P3 after the update.

I've actually been doing a 'challenge' on stream where I will play a survivor, and if they die I have to prestige them and not play them until the Mid-Chapter, which has made it a bit more fun!

The fact that prestiging is optional and free in its current state, but is going to be mandatory and have a cost of 20K after the patch just doesn't make sense.

The purpose of these changes was to reduce the grind, but adding a 20K BP cost to click a button that we are forced to click to progress our characters, feels counter-productive.

Comments

  • Nobody wants a 20k prestige tax.

  • @DBDVulture said:

    Nobody wants a 20k prestige tax.

    I prefer "Prestige Toll", taxes can actually serve a function while tolls are all about blocking your progress until you pay up.

  • @Zeidoktor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063667#Comment_3063667

    I prefer "Prestige Toll", taxes can actually serve a function while tolls are all about blocking your progress until you pay up.

    If you call it an apple or an orange - nobody wants to pay 20k per prestige level.

  • @Zeidoktor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063667#Comment_3063667

    I prefer "Prestige Toll", taxes can actually serve a function while tolls are all about blocking your progress until you pay up.

    Prestige Tax implies that the BP will be used for other means, such as universal healthcare, running the government, fueling the economy etc.

    Prestige Toll is fitting because you can't progress without paying.


    please remove all tolls and taxes from prestiging as healthcare does not exist in the fog, the government in there is corrupt anyways and the economy is already expensive as is. no need for an additional 20k for literally nothing

  • I don’t know any other game that gatekeeps prestiging - or forces it. It’s always been that you reach a certain level, then on you can go - if you want.

  • @GoshJosh said:

    I don’t know any other game that gatekeeps prestiging - or forces it. It’s always been that you reach a certain level, then on you can go - if you want.

    Most other games also don't allow you to keep everything when prestiging. I think the name of the system should be changed from being called prestige as it simply causes too much confusion at this point, especially since its a lot less of a prestige system now. But that's just my opinion.

    While I do agree that I don't see much point in a tax, I'd rather wait and see how everything functions for a while after the changes. 50k was definitely too much, 20k is a bit more reasonable.

    The reason I say wait and see is because with the new changes, there will be a lot of players that didn't have all the perks unlocked on every character, but will now have everything unlocked after the update. And with them working on bloodwebs and addon Rarities in future updates, it might make it to where there's almost no grind or sense of progression for a lot of players.

    While I'm all for that because I just want all my stuff to play how I want, a lot of players want/need that grind and sense of progression. This tax may create an easier way to regulate that balance between reducing the grind for those who don't like it, and still having a sense of progression for those who want it.

    People are also under the assumption that rewards are just going to stop after prestige 9, which I don't believe is the case. I think they simply haven't decided on what they want as rewards for later levels/haven't created them yet.

    Having those rewards later adds to the sense of progression and then the tax would make complete sense. Because then you're earning something, you're not just given free stuff.

    People tend to treat things differently when they have to pay for it vs when they get something for free.

  • @Advorsus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064178#Comment_3064178

    Most other games also don't allow you to keep everything when prestiging. I think the name of the system should be changed from being called prestige as it simply causes too much confusion at this point, especially since its a lot less of a prestige system now. But that's just my opinion.

    While I do agree that I don't see much point in a tax, I'd rather wait and see how everything functions for a while after the changes. 50k was definitely too much, 20k is a bit more reasonable.

    The reason I say wait and see is because with the new changes, there will be a lot of players that didn't have all the perks unlocked on every character, but will now have everything unlocked after the update. And with them working on bloodwebs and addon Rarities in future updates, it might make it to where there's almost no grind or sense of progression for a lot of players.

    While I'm all for that because I just want all my stuff to play how I want, a lot of players want/need that grind and sense of progression. This tax may create an easier way to regulate that balance between reducing the grind for those who don't like it, and still having a sense of progression for those who want it.

    People are also under the assumption that rewards are just going to stop after prestige 9, which I don't believe is the case. I think they simply haven't decided on what they want as rewards for later levels/haven't created them yet.

    Having those rewards later adds to the sense of progression and then the tax would make complete sense. Because then you're earning something, you're not just given free stuff.

    People tend to treat things differently when they have to pay for it vs when they get something for free.

    They could literally have each prestige grant you a small bonus in xp when playing as that character, give a small bonus of bloodpoints, or even just a static amount of iridescent shards every time you prestige

    That would actually get me to try to get prestige over 3