Glad I didn't level up The Pig
Can we just recognise an incredibly odd design flaw for a minute?
Make Your Choice
Now, arguably one of the healthiest and most toxic perks in the game. In theory, it's anti-camp (you can't trigger it if you're near the hook) and anti-tunnel (you only get value if you don't tunnel), so it should be the healthiest perk in the game right?
As a killer you'd think so, but it doesn't seem to be appreciated among survivors. Who knew that invalidating every healing build and punishing safe hook saves would be met with disdain huh?
Any way, Make Your Choice has a very curious trait. As you tier it up, both it's duration and cooldown increase.
Tier 1: 40s duration and cooldown
Tier 2: 50s duration and cooldown
Tier 3: 60s duration and cooldown
The thing is, this perk is most useful on killers that can actually make their way back to the hook in time to find and down the rescuer. Which means high speed or teleporting killers. In which case... 40 seconds is typically more than long enough to utilise this perk.
You then down the rescuer, and hook them, and now you still need to wait out the remaining duration/cooldown before you can allow another hook save. So... the lower tier version of the perk is actually better, you can get a MYC proc on virtually every hook, whereas if you give survivors an additional 20s of safe unhook time, you risk missing out on MYC every other hook, so half as much value.
As a result, on the killers I use MYC on, I have only unlocked Tier 1 and refuse to unlock the higher tiers. So imagine my panick when I realised that I could potentially have the higher tiers forced on me with the new prestige changes...
Luckily, my Pig is unprestiged and has less than 120 perk tiers. Phew, bullet dodged.
But still, why should this be a thing? Why is a lower tier version of a perk more effective than it's higher tier versions?
Comments
Yeah perk tiers can lead to things like this. Old Discordance and potentially DMS are also better at tier 1 if you can get fast downs
Looking up their old versions, I can't say that I see where they could be better at lower tiers.
DMS straight up just has a shorter duration at lower tiers, and doesn't gain anything from that, unless you're banking on being able to Pop it as well.
Discordance, initially just showed the aura for 8/10/12 seconds, with no conditions for when survivors let go, so... just flat out worse at lower levels? And the latest version is better than the previous iterations, with greater range and a shorter 'buffer' time after survivors let go.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are other perks that have this quirk, but I'm not aware of any and I wouldn't say these two count.
Release Discordance was better at rank1 because you received a noise notification every 8 seconds instead of every 12 seconds at rank3, it triggered more while delivering the same information.
It wasnt MUCH better and some people prefered the lower 8 second interval while others prefered having less noise spam, but overall rank1 was slightly better.
Ah that makes sense.
There were a couple of other perks like this at one point. Small Game comes to mind. Tier 1 on SG was better than 3, until they adjusted it so that Tier 3 gave you the smaller radius, allowing you to pinpoint the totem easier.
As far as MYC goes, I’m guessing everything you mentioned is an oversight and needs to be looked at
Yeah, it is a bit odd that the cooldown increases. It probably should just have a flat 60 second cooldown.
Oh I'm aware that bringing this to light could well result in a nerf like that. But still, it shouldn't be something that prevents you from playing a killer, in this case I can't level up the Pig at all.
Discordance gave out more notifications at lower levels giving more solid info overall. If you playing nurse for example and getting quick downs 35 seconds can be better since you won’t accidentally hook someone before the timer ends making it useless on that hook
You’re implying Make Your Choice level 3 is bad which isn’t the case.
But it is worse than Tier 1, on any killer that would use MYC.
Being possibly worse than Tier 1 doesn’t make it bad. (And it’s debatable it’s actually worse than Tier 1, it’s possible you’re underestimating the value of the extra duration and/or overestimating the benefit of the shorter cooldown.)
On Dredge for example, I have yet to have MYC run out on me with 40s, yet on Wraith where I made the mistake of leveling it up to T3, I routinely hooks survivors and have them rescued before MYC comes off cooldown.
If we wanna make Tier 3 strictly better than Tier 1, we could make it so the cooldown doesn't start until either MYC's duration expires or until the Exposed person goes into the dying state (and then of course adjust the cooldown so that the total time in between uses roughly matches the current MYC).
Not a bad idea really.
Perhaps it should be a flat 50s duration, but when the survivor goes into the dying state, it goes on a 25/20/15s cooldown. This way, the quicker you down them, the more you're rewarded by resetting the cooldown earlier. Yet no matter when you down them, you still have 15s to burn before it can proc again.
This still allows survivors to play around this by getting an early hook rescue (within the first 15s), but it's not so long that you'd feel the need to camp the hook for the cooldown duration every time you hook.
Now what do I do?