Hex: Huntress' Lullaby Idea: Invert the Tokens

I thought of something that might make Huntress' Lullaby stronger than it is currently while (hopefully) not making it too strong.

The basic idea is have Lullaby work on Thrill of the Hunt rules. You have five stacks of Lullaby at the start of the match, giving you the full strength silent skill checks effect right from the get go. You lose a stack and Lullaby's effect weakens accordingly for any other Dull or Hex (but not Rekindled) totems cleansed and, as normal, lose the effect altogether if the Lullaby totem itself is cleansed.

This gives Lullaby a powerful effect in the early game while also giving survivors a way to weaken it besides finding the actual totem, something that might help keep it from becoming too much an "anti-beginner" perk the way Original Ruin was.

It can work well with totem defense perks like Retribution or Haunted Ground, or even Pentimento since the totem encourages cleansing any totems you come across. It also counters Boons somewhat by turning them into a potential liability.

Even if survivors find it near-immediately it should be able to offer enough value early on to be worthwhile.

What do you think?

Comments

  • I dont think it would be bad change, but i would prefer to rework how hexes work.

    Hexes always stand only for couple of seconds because survivours spawn near them. I made post about that. Basically give new corrupt intervention effect on all totems (Block until down / time passed).

    And Lullaby could be buffed by removing 2 tokens to have full effect (make it silent on 3)

  • Huh, that's not a bad idea at all. At first I thought you meant reverse as in each hook loses a token (and I was like "bruh"), but making it work like Thrill would be very helpful - it's a kind of game slowdown akin to Plaything, where the strongest survivors can ignore the hex with little consequence but the rest need to go about and do some bones before they can play normally, but it's not so hard as a mapwide blind hex hunt. It's also likely to get people at the start out of surprise and kind of does its job as an early Discordance or Lethal Pursuer as a result. I like the sound of this - count me in!

  • That's really interesting. So it's an early game perk. Very clever idea!

  • I like the idea. It might make Thrill + Lullaby a good combo but it sounds absolutely horrible to play against when facing doctor. Eh, whatever some characters can use perks better than others. Also this would make 1 out of 3 of Huntress' perks not suck and be the worst character according to teachables.

  • @Feather said:

    I dont think it would be bad change, but i would prefer to rework how hexes work.

    Hexes always stand only for couple of seconds because survivours spawn near them. I made post about that. Basically give new corrupt intervention effect on all totems (Block until down / time passed).

    And Lullaby could be buffed by removing 2 tokens to have full effect (make it silent on 3)

    should just change spawn rules so totems are legally not allowed to spawn next to survivors

  • Maybe. Although I wonder, would it be overpowered if it just had no sound period while it was active? If not then just get rid of the tokens altogether.

  • @dugman said:

    Maybe. Although I wonder, would it be overpowered if it just had no sound period while it was active? If not then just get rid of the tokens altogether.

    This is just me, but personally I find 3-4 stacks of Lullaby much harder to hit than 5. When there's no audio cue, I can swap seamlessly to reacting to a visual cue instead. When there is an audio cue but it's not at the right time, I get messed up. So I rather like the token system.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063185#Comment_3063185

    This is just me, but personally I find 3-4 stacks of Lullaby much harder to hit than 5. When there's no audio cue, I can swap seamlessly to reacting to a visual cue instead. When there is an audio cue but it's not at the right time, I get messed up. So I rather like the token system.

    And if that’s generally the case then maybe start of with 3 tokens and ramp from there. Why start with none?

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063196#Comment_3063196

    And if that’s generally the case then maybe start of with 3 tokens and ramp from there. Why start with none?

    Oh, yeah, I'm definitely not arguing that Lullaby is very underpowered in its current state. I'd be fine with that too.

  • @dugman said:

    Maybe. Although I wonder, would it be overpowered if it just had no sound period while it was active? If not then just get rid of the tokens altogether.

    One of the factors that got OG Hex: Ruin reworked was how it made the game significantly harder for beginners/less experienced players who couldn't reliably hit Great Skill Checks.

    Part of the reasoning behind using Thrill rules is to try to account for this factor, offer Survivors a way to weaken the Hex without actually finding the Hex.


    Edit to Add: Would it be too powerful if this version of Lullaby worked with Pentimento? If I remember correctly, Thrill can lose and gain stacks with Rekindled Totems so it would be consistent, and it would give Pentimento something to synergize with besides Plaything, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be too much.