Why not just remove hooks?
If we remove hooks, we can achieve almost complete removal of tunneling/camping, all the "save"s which is generally abusable, and hook location problems.
it would be much easier to balance things by adjusting respawn timers too.
Comments
I feel like hooking survivors/hook saves is part of the magic formula that makes dbd work. So much of the interesting gameplay takes place at that moment.
I'm not certain this is a good idea.
I'd just like to see 1 of each survivor's hook states converted into team hook states that can be used by anyone. That way, the fastest kill doesn't necessarily mean exclusively chasing one person. At least not until the 4 team states get used, and camping is also less effective because camping someone out has to go through the 4 team hook states as well as the person's 1 personal hook state.
Inevitably, the game would be a decent bit more survivor sided since the slowest possible kill is still the same but the fastest possible kill is 3 hooks longer. Particularly for the weaker killers that are a lot harder to consistently get short chases with, but rebalancing the killers and maps around that new power level would be leave a healthier game without totally fundamentally changing the mechanics.
I'm mostly sure hooks ARE the fundamental issue of this game, all the frustrating/broken things stem from this thing, I doubt if hook saves/defenses are "interesting gameplay" for most players as that's just camping or abusing certain things.
I've seen that suggestion before, but as you know that'll actually buff tunneling when there is a weak link, you can burn 6 hook worth of state just from a potato survivor.
I mean, the hooks are clearly inspired by TCM, though they couldn’t get Bubba until about a year later. They’re an integral part of the core gameplay too. Removing them would require so much reworking from the ground up - the base gameplay, toolboxes, and several perks. I and many others simply want there to be a balanced, middle ground.
The need for killers to hook survivors and the others to rescue them is an integral part of the game. Allows killers to apply pressure, gives survivors more things to do, and creates gameplay around stopping the rescue. Without this mechanic, survivor gameplay would be about only doing gens and killer gameplay would only be chase, hook, repeat. I don't want the game to ever become that.
Camping the hook is easy to solve. Just change the location of the hook regardless of camping or not.
But. The BHVR team is just as smart or at least thinks so. Prefer to destroy gameplay for survivor and killers with ridiculous ideas and a lot of useless perks. This game is breaking with every update. Soon there will be no killers or survivors to play.
Att,