Better optimization for low end PCs
I play on a gaming laptop (https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-001A-02GR3) and from my experience Dead by Daylight is more taxing on my computer than anything else I play.
The mobile RTX 2060 heats up enough at Low settings and 100% render quality to cause framerate drops, and even with the render quality dropped down to the lowest setting as well, it still puts off a ton of heat and can't maintain a steady 60fps. To be honest though, I personally feel that lowering render quality is a last resort option for optimization because it has a much bigger negative impact on the visual fidelity of the game than lowering other graphical settings such as post processing, anti-aliasing, texture quality, model quality, etc.
Online competitive games generally should skew towards providing smooth framerates even on lower end machines because it helps keep the playing field even for everyone, and it helps keep the pool of potential players large.
I think it would be beneficial for everyone if the game made two changes:
- Add at least one more graphical settings level below the current Low setting which focuses on enabling higher framerates on lower end graphics cards, while also maintaining fidelity for important in-game visual queues.
- Allow players to modify different graphical settings individually so that we can optimize for our specific machines better.
For reference, some of the other games I've played recently on this computer without having the same degree of heat or framerate issues are: Monster Hunter: Rise, Dota 2, Destiny 2, New World, Alien Isolation, Satisfactory, and Halo Infinite. I don't necessarily play all of these on high settings, but they can all generally run at 60fps with no noticeable heat issues without requiring the render resolution to be dropped.
Comments
I would just invest in a tower dude - don't get a medium - get the biggest you can and smash it full of airflow.
If you invest now - it will look after you for years to come and because its modular, you can upgrade bits and bobs as you go.
=============
I don't want to have to compromise my experiences in gaming because others don't want to invest in their free time.
Gaming Laptops are always going to be handicapped by terrible heat dissipation. I'd suggest getting a cooling pad
I have a desktop but I'm away from home for a prolonged period of time. Aside from potential solutions to my personal situation, do you have any reasons why the developer shouldn't try to make the game run better on lower end PCs?
I agree with this. At the same time though, I listed a bunch of games that have comparable graphical quality but have no issues with heat. Why is Dead by Daylight the only one that has the problem?
I have a desktop but I'm away from home for a prolonged period of time. Aside from potential solutions to my personal situation, do you have any reasons why it's not a good idea for the developer to try to optimize the game better for lower end machines?