Decouple bonus BP from BBQ and WGLF

Bonus bloodpoints are a bad idea for perks for a multitude of reasons. First, I'd like to point out that both of these perks (BBQ and WGLF) have two functions, a stacking bonus to BP and a secondary effect. For BBQ, it's an information perk showing auras outside 40m. For WGLF it's a bonus to healing downed survivors.

I suggest decoupling the bonus BP from these perks as the bonus interferes with the game on multiple levels.

  1. Since the bloodpoint grind is so severe, it heavily incentivizes selecting this perk even when it may not be optimal from a gameplay perspective, especially since each player is incentivized to select this perk to maximize the bloodpoint gain per match. This is especially true for newer players who have a much more daunting grind in front of them.
  2. It puts survivors in direct competition with each other to perform a save in order to get the token for the perk, where otherwise they may be more focused on objectives. For example, the most easily accomplished way to gain a token is from a hook rescue, and there are only 6 opportunities per match (4 in common between any two survivors), which means every survivor focused on maxing bloodpoint gains is gonna be running to the hook instead of doing gens.
  3. It makes selecting which survivor or killer to play dependent on which one has the perk/which tier of the perk they have. I tend not to play killers where I don't have BBQ at rank 3 yet, since I know I'm going to be hampering my BP grind. Unless I have a daily mission or challenge associated with a killer, I am incentivized to choose a killer which would produce the best result. Similarly, with survivors, playing someone where I can't max out my BP grind means I'm hampering my overall progress.

Instead, either make the bonus BP apply by default, or attach it to something else like Devotion level. You could even stretch it out per rank of devotion such as (25/25/20/10/10/5/5) or something similar, to keep players motivated. Or you could even keep adding bonuses past 100%, say 1% extra every devotion level beyond that. To compensate the perks, they could be strengthened, for example, reduce the exclusion range on BBQ to 32m, and increase the heal speed bonus on WGLF.

Comments

  • I'd do it by default. And I'd give the survivors more ways to get stacks for bonus points than just safe unhooks/protection hits. On killer, hooks is fine since it's easy enough to hook everyone at least once for the bonus points.. But on survivor, you can go through games where you won't get a single unhook or protection hit, but still escape, but no bonus points despite doing gens and totems and healing people.

  • I'd imagine I made this post too late for it to have influenced the changes posted today, but thanks all the same!