*3* Easy Fixes That Would Make This Game Substantially Better.

With the upcoming deep reworks to much of the game, I thought I'd throw my proverbial hat into the ring with a couple of simple suggestions that would improve the game massively for both sides.

  1. A 'Bravery' Bonus. Right now, as things stand - it's easy to get into a situation as a survivor where you can't do anything to earn BP/grade points, such as getting camped or slugged. However, the only real way to handle being camped is to sit there, because if you quit or suicide, the entire team loses. Asking random strangers to sacrifice their time, fun and progress for the sake of 3 other strangers is a bit silly. Solution: you get bonus BP and grade points based on the BP earned and objectives performed while you're on the hook/ground.
  2. The DC penalty reworked. As things stand, I'll see a deliberate DC at least once in every 3 games, often more. This is so, so frustrating: if I'm on survivor, it means we now have to play out a losing game, which sucks. If I'm on killer, it means I either now have to dial back substantially to give the survivors a chance, or wipe them out as fast as possible. Either way - less BP, less grade points and less fun for everyone. Solution: the DC penalty now decays based on matches played out without DCing, rather than time. This is how other games do it, and it seems to work better.
  3. AFK players penalized. I see a lot of people AFK from the start of the match right now, likely smurfing down their MMR, which sort of breaks the system and is almost as annoying as DCers. Solution: if you're AFK for 3 minutes, you are disconnected and the game treats this as a DC.

DCs are annoying and far too prevalent, but on the other hand there are situations as a survivor where you really, really want to DC (getting facecamped is the biggie). If we could at least give some compensation to the person sitting on hook and waiting around for the good of the team, while at the same time discouraging rage DCs, it would go a long way to improving the experience for both sides.

Comments

  • I actually like all these small suggestions. They would be nice changes and maybe sometime in the distant future they can implement stuff like this. (It seems like they are already doing a bunch of stuff for the rest of the year, so I doubt they'll be thinking of anything else for game health, but here's hoping.)

  • "the DC penalty now decays based on matches played out without DCing, rather than time. This is how other games do it, and it seems to work better."

    How are you supposed to play matches to decay your penalty, when the penalty PREVENTS you from playing a game?

  • @StarLost said:

    With the upcoming deep reworks to much of the game, I thought I'd throw my proverbial hat into the ring with a couple of simple suggestions that would improve the game massively for both sides.

    1. A 'Bravery' Bonus. Right now, as things stand - it's easy to get into a situation as a survivor where you can't do anything to earn BP/grade points, such as getting camped or slugged. However, the only real way to handle being camped is to sit there, because if you quit or suicide, the entire team loses. Asking random strangers to sacrifice their time, fun and progress for the sake of 3 other strangers is a bit silly. Solution: you get bonus BP and grade points based on the BP earned and objectives performed while you're on the hook/ground.
    2. The DC penalty reworked. As things stand, I'll see a deliberate DC at least once in every 3 games, often more. This is so, so frustrating: if I'm on survivor, it means we now have to play out a losing game, which sucks. If I'm on killer, it means I either now have to dial back substantially to give the survivors a chance, or wipe them out as fast as possible. Either way - less BP, less grade points and less fun for everyone. Solution: the DC penalty now decays based on matches played out without DCing, rather than time. This is how other games do it, and it seems to work better.
    3. AFK players penalized. I see a lot of people AFK from the start of the match right now, likely smurfing down their MMR, which sort of breaks the system and is almost as annoying as DCers. Solution: if you're AFK for 3 minutes, you are disconnected and the game treats this as a DC.

    DCs are annoying and far too prevalent, but on the other hand there are situations as a survivor where you really, really want to DC (getting facecamped is the biggie). If we could at least give some compensation to the person sitting on hook and waiting around for the good of the team, while at the same time discouraging rage DCs, it would go a long way to improving the experience for both sides.

    I think if there is a DC within the first minute of the game, it should just restart looking for a game with the 4 people left and put those 4 people at the very top of the mm queue.

    There's no reason to play a game where someone is DCs after the first game. It screws everyone. As Killer, I just let the survivors farm at that point and I'll get 3 hooks.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    "the DC penalty now decays based on matches played out without DCing, rather than time. This is how other games do it, and it seems to work better."

    How are you supposed to play matches to decay your penalty, when the penalty PREVENTS you from playing a game?

    You wait it out.

    Then you play a game out.

    Then you play another game out.

    If you aren't DCing frequently or deliberately, you won't have an issue. If you are, then you are an issue.

    DCs should be rare - the occasional 'cat attempted to eat my router' or 'I got walled in by a griefer/trapped in a game by a hacker' moments don't happen often.

    As things stand, the DC penalty is a joke. You get 2, maybe 3 'free' DCs every day, before the penalty becomes at all impactful - and it really shows.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2971028#Comment_2971028

    You wait it out.

    Then you play a game out.

    Then you play another game out.

    If you aren't DCing frequently or deliberately, you won't have an issue. If you are, then you are an issue.

    DCs should be rare - the occasional 'cat attempted to eat my router' or 'I got walled in by a griefer/trapped in a game by a hacker' moments don't happen often.

    As things stand, the DC penalty is a joke. You get 2, maybe 3 'free' DCs every day, before the penalty becomes at all impactful - and it really shows.

    So you mean, you get a higher penalty when you DCed more often in your recent matches? But thats not much different form the current solution, counting DC's for a day. I feel I don't understand you point there :-/

  • @StarLost said:

    With the upcoming deep reworks to much of the game, I thought I'd throw my proverbial hat into the ring with a couple of simple suggestions that would improve the game massively for both sides.

    1. A 'Bravery' Bonus. Right now, as things stand - it's easy to get into a situation as a survivor where you can't do anything to earn BP/grade points, such as getting camped or slugged. However, the only real way to handle being camped is to sit there, because if you quit or suicide, the entire team loses. Asking random strangers to sacrifice their time, fun and progress for the sake of 3 other strangers is a bit silly. Solution: you get bonus BP and grade points based on the BP earned and objectives performed while you're on the hook/ground.
    2. The DC penalty reworked. As things stand, I'll see a deliberate DC at least once in every 3 games, often more. This is so, so frustrating: if I'm on survivor, it means we now have to play out a losing game, which sucks. If I'm on killer, it means I either now have to dial back substantially to give the survivors a chance, or wipe them out as fast as possible. Either way - less BP, less grade points and less fun for everyone. Solution: the DC penalty now decays based on matches played out without DCing, rather than time. This is how other games do it, and it seems to work better.
    3. AFK players penalized. I see a lot of people AFK from the start of the match right now, likely smurfing down their MMR, which sort of breaks the system and is almost as annoying as DCers. Solution: if you're AFK for 3 minutes, you are disconnected and the game treats this as a DC.

    DCs are annoying and far too prevalent, but on the other hand there are situations as a survivor where you really, really want to DC (getting facecamped is the biggie). If we could at least give some compensation to the person sitting on hook and waiting around for the good of the team, while at the same time discouraging rage DCs, it would go a long way to improving the experience for both sides.

    1.) I'm against giving out bonus grade points. If you lose, you lose. But I wouldn't be opposed of bonus BP, maybe a BP multiplier increasing with the time you are unable to do something meaningful (so when hooked or slugged), something like 1.1 to 1.5.

    3.) I'm not sure kicking an afk player is a good solution. With afk killers, survivors have nothing to fear and can get the more difficult dailies done (opening a gate / escaping the trial). Also I have games from time to time, where the survivors are so incredibly toxic that I just want to chill in the basement and wait for them to leave. Forcing me to continue with a game where I get heavily abused / bm'ed is not feels very wrong. For afk survivors, kicking them is worse for the team then just leaving them so the killer might waste some time hooking / downing them.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/325387/3-easy-fixes-that-would-make-this-game-substantially-better

    1.) I'm against giving out bonus grade points. If you lose, you lose. But I wouldn't be opposed of bonus BP, maybe a BP multiplier increasing with the time you are unable to do something meaningful (so when hooked or slugged), something like 1.1 to 1.5.

    3.) I'm not sure kicking an afk player is a good solution. With afk killers, survivors have nothing to fear and can get the more difficult dailies done (opening a gate / escaping the trial). Also I have games from time to time, where the survivors are so incredibly toxic that I just want to chill in the basement and wait for them to leave. Forcing me to continue with a game where I get heavily abused / bm'ed is not feels very wrong. For afk survivors, kicking them is worse for the team then just leaving them so the killer might waste some time hooking / downing them.

    1. The issue isn't just that you lose - it's that getting camped is a literal lose/lose situation for you. The correct response is to hang in there, to waste the killer's time while your team does gens. However, this means doing literally nothing but getting hit on the hook for ages - and you'll generally depip too. So you either DC or suicide, which means that now your team is going to lose. A multiplier wouldn't help, because you're multiplying...well, nothing. At least if you got some portion of what your team does (as it's supposed to work like if you lead the killer on a long chase, but that's another topic) it gives you some incentive to stick it out.
    2. This would only apply if you go AFK for ages, just move a bit in the basement and you'll be fine. The issue is more that right now, you can basically AFK out a dozen games to drop your MMR and stomp lowbies - and there is absolutely no way to prevent this.

    @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2971047#Comment_2971047

    So you mean, you get a higher penalty when you DCed more often in your recent matches? But thats not much different form the current solution, counting DC's for a day. I feel I don't understand you point there :-/

    It's more that you'll get a higher penalty if you DC a lot proportional to matches where you don't DC. Right now, it seems to reset pretty fast - so you can squeeze in 2-3 DCs every day without issue. So for example, I DC - now I have a 5 minute wait. But I play 5 games out and it'll reset.

    However, if I DC again during those 5 games, the matchmaking queue goes up to 5 minutes before I can play gain, and I'll need to play out 6 games to reset it.

    If I DC during those 10 games, it'll be a 10 minute timer and 7 games. And so on.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2971324#Comment_2971324

    1. The issue isn't just that you lose - it's that getting camped is a literal lose/lose situation for you. The correct response is to hang in there, to waste the killer's time while your team does gens. However, this means doing literally nothing but getting hit on the hook for ages - and you'll generally depip too. So you either DC or suicide, which means that now your team is going to lose. A multiplier wouldn't help, because you're multiplying...well, nothing. At least if you got some portion of what your team does (as it's supposed to work like if you lead the killer on a long chase, but that's another topic) it gives you some incentive to stick it out.
    2. This would only apply if you go AFK for ages, just move a bit in the basement and you'll be fine. The issue is more that right now, you can basically AFK out a dozen games to drop your MMR and stomp lowbies - and there is absolutely no way to prevent this.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2971252#Comment_2971252

    It's more that you'll get a higher penalty if you DC a lot proportional to matches where you don't DC. Right now, it seems to reset pretty fast - so you can squeeze in 2-3 DCs every day without issue. So for example, I DC - now I have a 5 minute wait. But I play 5 games out and it'll reset.

    However, if I DC again during those 5 games, the matchmaking queue goes up to 5 minutes before I can play gain, and I'll need to play out 6 games to reset it.

    If I DC during those 10 games, it'll be a 10 minute timer and 7 games. And so on.

    1.) You shouldn't get rewarded with direct BP (like 1k BP for one minute or something like that) for doing nothing (when being camped). You are not proceeding the game, so there's no action to reward, imo. Thats why I brought up the multiplier. That rewards you more for the things you did before you got downed. So someone who was harder to catch before being camped would get overall more bonuns BP than someone who was found in a locker without any chase (and then camped).

    2.) If we had bots filling in for disconnected / kicked players, I would agree with kicking afk players. But until such a things gets added, I still think its better for the remaining players to not kick afk players. I wouldn't be against a post-game penalty, though, so when the game recognizes that a player never moved, they would get a significant penalty.

    The thing aber the DC's penalte length depending on trails played i guess i got now.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2971362#Comment_2971362

    1.) You shouldn't get rewarded with direct BP (like 1k BP for one minute or something like that) for doing nothing (when being camped). You are not proceeding the game, so there's no action to reward, imo. Thats why I brought up the multiplier. That rewards you more for the things you did before you got downed. So someone who was harder to catch before being camped would get overall more bonuns BP than someone who was found in a locker without any chase (and then camped).

    2.) If we had bots filling in for disconnected / kicked players, I would agree with kicking afk players. But until such a things gets added, I still think its better for the remaining players to not kick afk players. I wouldn't be against a post-game penalty, though, so when the game recognizes that a player never moved, they would get a significant penalty.

    The thing aber the DC's penalte length depending on trails played i guess i got now.

    1. I'm...unconvinced. I don't think that this would achieve the goal I mentioned.
    2. I'd love bots to replace DCs/AFKs. Another thing to consider is how powerful an AFK player can be with certain killers/perks. For example, I got 3 free Pain Resonance/Floods of Rage procs that turned a losing game into a winning game earlier, because a Dwight went AFK after a Meg did something silly and got downed.
  • @CaulDrohn said:

    "the DC penalty now decays based on matches played out without DCing, rather than time. This is how other games do it, and it seems to work better."

    How are you supposed to play matches to decay your penalty, when the penalty PREVENTS you from playing a game?

    If you are getting that high of a DC penalty. might be a you problem

  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2971028#Comment_2971028

    If you are getting that high of a DC penalty. might be a you problem

    I guess you did not understand my point, read again.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2971718#Comment_2971718

    1. I'm...unconvinced. I don't think that this would achieve the goal I mentioned.
    2. I'd love bots to replace DCs/AFKs. Another thing to consider is how powerful an AFK player can be with certain killers/perks. For example, I got 3 free Pain Resonance/Floods of Rage procs that turned a losing game into a winning game earlier, because a Dwight went AFK after a Meg did something silly and got downed.

    1.) And I'm not convinced giving out flat BP bonuses achieves it either ;).

    2.) Ok, so in this scenario you might have gotten more out of th afk than if they would have been a dc. But on the other hand, you were facing only 3 active players, so you likely would have won without Pain Res, right?