Some Meta Perks are Justified For Their Popularity
Hearing BHVR announce they will be looking into the meta and working hard to change things up I was very happy, still am. I would like to point out however, some of the meta perks they mentioned I believe are meta in a good way so I have some concerns with how they might be addressed.
BBQ - I don't see anything wrong with this perk. It makes sense it is used a lot because of the bloodpoint bonus. In addition it incentivizes going after and hooking all the survivors meaning it doesn't help a killer who camps and tunnels a lot. So yes it is used a lot but it has counters and other than maybe on Nurse the aura bonus it gives isn't a game changer.
Iron Will - This perk does it's job, I think being quiet while injured isn't an overpowered ability since you are still dropping blood (unless you bring another perk). If anything, I'd argue just reverting the stridor nerf so that perk would counter this one.
Scourge Pain Resonance - This has become my new favorite perk, but I don't think it's busted. Yes it is meta, but the fact it only affects 4 hooks means you don't even get the effect all the time. This perk gibes killers what they need, gen regression, cause against efficient survivors gens will be repaired quickly and with no regression you will lose. Plus you only keep getting the effect so once again it promotes going for a lot of chases (the most fun part of the game) rather than camping the person. I believe this perk rewards healthier gameplay and makes for a more fun experience, so PLEASE BHVR be gentle with it. Also it would be nice if the hooks were guaranteed to be more spread out, and maybe add a 5th hook for bigger maps like the red forest.
Killers NEED gen defense, they are used a lot because they help the killer maintain pressure against really strong efficient survivors. 60 seconds chases can mean 2 gens done. Yes Scourge + dead man's or pop can be annoying, but I've seen teams still beat the killer using that, it's about making the game last longer and promoting the killer getting more hooks. Gen defense means less camping and tunneling which most of us want to deal with.
At the end of the day we all want a more fun, more balanced game. I believe a good chunk of the meta perks should be looked at. I think weaker versions of Borrowed Time and Corrupt Intervention as base kit could help survivors deal better with tunneling and help killers have a more fair start to rounds. If base gen regression and/or loop system placement were looked at gen regression perks wouldn't be needed so much since the killers could maintain better overall pressure without overwhelming survivors with it either. More chases, less camping, better engaging pressure, I just hope the direction for these perk changes and considerations are focused on those gameplay points.
I'm interested how everyone else feels? Are my concerns justified or am I worrying over nothing? Do we agree or not about how these perks are rightfully as effective as they are.
Comments
Thing is iron will says it silences grunt of pain not breathing which is something else entirely.
Stridor should have always been allowed to partially negate Iron Will.
Yes at BBQ. If they get rid of the BP bonus without baking it in, I'm going to flip my table.
PR...as much as I love this perk, I think BHVR are looking at fiddling the regression meta slightly.
i agree with you. the meta perks are meta to make the game balanced, because without them the game is extremely unbalanced. nothing would stop swfs from rushing gens in 5 mins, nothing to stop killers from proxy camping in a 3 gen setup and usually guaranteeing a win.
they should not touch ever decisive strike or borrowed time or corrupt intervention and similar "mandatory" perks until the game is actually balanced by itself.
it would make sense to insert the perks as one of the gameplay mechanics so there can be more variety in builds and the "balancing" perks would be a part of the game for everyone instead of a "take or lose" choice.
I HOPE there not nerfing perks JUST CAUSE there popular.
I hope there nerfing on strength
BBQ and Iron Will don't need a nerf
I think Dead Man Switch is the perk that makes Pain Res so broken, but on its own it is just quite strong. Dead Man could absolutely use a cooldown (like if even Soul Guard has one, why wouldn't it have considering it is much more constant?). Pain Res could be reviewed in some way tho.