BHVR promising Steam Deck support and keeping players in the dark about development
Last year, before the release of the Steam Deck, The Verge contacted a number of developers in order to ask them if they were planning to update the anti-cheat of their games in order to make them playable on the handheld. This included BHVR.
The article:
In the article, it says that a BHVR rep told The Verge that they were planning on updating the anti-cheat to make the game compatible, but had no ETA at that current time, which was understandable, as the Steam Deck still had months to go until launch.
This confirmation, of course, led to a lot of excitement amongst not only dbd players who reserved a Steam Deck, but also players who preferred to play on Linux ( working on the Steam Deck means defacto support for Linux ).
The February launch came and went and still no word from the developers, which at first was no issue, but as time went by it became more and more frustrating.
A single bit of good news came around a month ago, when BHVR added the "easyanticheat_x64.so" file to the game files( no need to get into details about what it does, just means that EAC can now run using Proton, Steam's compatibility software). This doesn't mean that the game is actually playable however, as it simply lets the EAC-loadingbar fill to 100% and then does nothing, as probably the implementation wasn't ready yet and still needed server-side and maybe even client-side work. This was still a giant leap forward and got people excited nonetheless.
It's now almost May and the only official information about this has been from the forums, which was basically the same " we're planning, but don't get your hopes up as we still don't have an ETA ". I greatly appreciate forum mods responding the best they can with the information they have, but I think BHVR should be more transparent about this topic.
This has been my best attempt at explaining this situation. I'm sorry for making this incredibly long post but it's very frustrating to be hyped up about something just to have said thing never mentioned again. I wanted BHVR to know that there is a group of people who would appreciate being able to play using Proton.
I guess my only request would be to at least attempt to set an estimated date of arrival and be more transparent about developments as they do happen.
Thank you for reading this insane post <3. I know most people don't care about this, but I just want to be able to play on my preferred platform. If we have a Stadia version we can 100% have Steam Deck/Proton support.
Comments
Let's hold our horses with any bhvr promises.
They also promised last gen optimization and just stalled long enough to drop that entirely is my guess.
I wouldn't trust them to get this to work when the game is breaking every chapter on the main platforms.
you can add your voice here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/282110/eac-on-steam-deck-proton-linux/
i started that thread last september. XD maybe one day!
I've commented many times that we do not have an ETA on this and we made very clear at the time and in our Q&A that this would not be something that was ready at the launch of Steam Deck.
Same with the autoban feature... Mentioned a year ago, never heard of it again after the whole forum blew up with concerns.