The Itch to return is strong, and i'm going to scratch it, at least a little

Hello there, for those of you who have no idea who I am/forgot who I am because I haven't said a word here in the last 8 goddamn months, my name is DMDarren, avid Demogorgon main, Trickster/Pinhead/Nemesis/Deathslinger enthusiast, and Plunderers connoisseur, The last time I seriously sat down and typed out my feelings with DBD was to vent a great deal of frustration about this game.

For those that don't want to look through it (and honestly I don't blame you, the thing's essentially a Great Wall of Text) I stopped playing due to Burnout, my mains getting nerfed/shafted to some other degree, MMR being added despite both mass public outcry and 4 tests that failed spectacularly, and BHVR being either inexperienced in how their own game works at best, or flat out arrogant and lazy at worst. I left it at that and stepped away from DBD

For 8 months, nearly a full year of leaving the game unopened and gathering dust on my desktop and games folder, in that time I've done a few things, mainly writing a book and going to a IT College.

And for some reason, only a week and 2 days away from the official 8 month anniversary of the last time I opened DBD, I've gotten a gut feeling telling me I should play DBD again, despite MMR still being a thing, despite Boons getting added and despite the rampant cheater problem pretty much being left to fester with exactly squat done about it (unless something actually has been done about it, in which case, awesome, forget I said anything), as well as bugs still being unaddressed and only a small handful of changes coming every 3 months

But I don't know, because the YT recommended system is pretty much always drunk, it recommended me a video by Otz going over the recent PTB Changes, and honestly, a part of me was really happy to see not only Legion and Ghostface getting some buffs, but that old Lampkin Lane was finally going to get a substantial rework, and from what I've seen, it's infinitely better then the old version.

and now I've been sitting at my desk for the last 10 minutes looking at and hovering my mouse over the DBD icon, wondering if I really want to come back to this outright mess of a game, because honestly, for all it's problems, for all it's issues, for all it's creator's seeming inability to not break 10 different things when fixing a single bug, I can't help but still like DBD, as masochistic as that sounds.

I think I'm going to wait for the Lampkin Lane rework to get added before I really throw myself back into the pool, but I'm going to dip my toes into 2022 DBD, with a fresh perspective and hopefully 8 months of growing as a person helping me keep my head level and my heart at ease

See you all in the Fog!

Comments

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    "Gee, I can't wait til I go back into DBD!"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvFjDKhyz5Y

    the fact that the first reply that I've gotten in 8 months is warning me not to go back to DBD is simultaneously entirely expected and disappointing lol

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2895056#Comment_2895056

    the fact that the first reply that I've gotten in 8 months is warning me not to go back to DBD is simultaneously entirely expected and disappointing lol

    TBF, I am like...53% kidding!

    I have such a love/hate relationship with this game that I honestly do feel like I'd be better off if I just flat out quit the damn thing. Lots of frustration and unfun and sadness to be had in the game.

    BUT...

    When it does actually fire off on all cylinders, this can be one of the funnest gaming experiences one can have

    It's just unfortunate they seem to come so rarely now :,(

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2895061#Comment_2895061

    TBF, I am like...53% kidding!

    I have such a love/hate relationship with this game that I honestly do feel like I'd be better off if I just flat out quit the damn thing. Lots of frustration and unfun and sadness to be had in the game.

    BUT...

    When it does actually fire off on all cylinders, this can be one of the funnest gaming experiences one can have

    It's just unfortunate they seem to come so rarely now :,(

    as someone that took a break for 3/4 of a year, i can sympathise

  • Glad to have you back!

    The game is...ok I guess. CoH is nerfed in the upcoming patch so basically everything you've heard about boons is all blown (slightly) out of proportion.

  • Welcome back if you want, but I think I'm leaning the other way, after 5 years, I'm just about out. I have played so little this month, this is the first time in years I will not get to red ranks. I am actually feeling quite liberated with this decision.

    And, damn, did you say you wrote a book? What an awesome accomplishment ๐Ÿ‘!! What was it about?

  • Fellow Demogorgon main?

    Anyway, the game is in a fine state. The most problematic Boon, Boon: Circle Of Healing, will be nerfed in the upcoming Mid-Chapter, so it's not going to be that big of a problem anymore

  • To be real with you, once that spark is gone, it is just gone. I have been trying to take a break from Overwatch for so long and every time I pop back in to play a match, I am reminded why I left. Idk, I just think 5 years of something with only negative changes is unsalvagable.


    That being said, DBD did make some improvements and it at least adds content. So the comparison is kind of moot. But an 8 month break is a heavy commitment. I kind of doubt it will work out. Best of luck to you, regardless.

  • @Clevite said:

    Welcome back if you want, but I think I'm leaning the other way, after 5 years, I'm just about out. I have played so little this month, this is the first time in years I will not get to red ranks. I am actually feeling quite liberated with this decision.

    And, damn, did you say you wrote a book? What an awesome accomplishment ๐Ÿ‘!! What was it about?

    The book is still a WIP and meant to be more of a encyclopaedia of creatures that will inhabit the world I'm creating, but so far, it's going fantastically