Gearhead feedback
So in 5.5.0 you guys decided to rework Gearhead, a perk which never got any use and desperately needed some changes.
While the reduction of required attacks from 2 to 1 and the inclusion of special attacks were good steps, the perk still doesn't feel great because it's incredibly easy to miss the effect. This is for two reasons:
- The Survivor's aura is not guaranteed to be visible depending on their position relative to you and the gen they are working on. If the generator is directly between you and the survivor, it's possible the generator aura will obfuscate the survivor's aura entirely, and the generator's aura no longer changes color the way it used to with the old version of the perk.
- As there is no indication of the perk triggering other than the perk starting a 10 second timer in the bottom right, or seeing the survivor's aura, it's quite common to not even notice its activation, especially if it happens in the middle of a chase.
My suggestion is to make it so that when the perk triggers, there is either a notification at the generator, or even just a distinct sound cue. This way you immediately know it activated and know to look for the aura. I think this would make the perk feel more impactful and give you more consistent information.
Comments
I agree. I tried using Gearhead with Call of Brine recently thinking I could get an alert regardless of Skillcheck but almost always missed Gearhead's triggering.
I totally agree, it needs an indication, just like territotrial imperative. I would love it a lot.
A noise notification would definitely help.
Another thing that could help is putting survivor auras in a graphical layer in front of generator auras and making them distinct colors. Really seeing the survivor aura is typically more important than the generator so if you could see survivor auras “through” generator auras just like you can see survivor auras through objects that would really help this perk I think.
I called all of this. As soon as I saw the rework, I said it was gonna be a worse perk. Seeing the yellow aura of a generator was always gonna be more useful than seeing a survivor's aura while they're on the gen, because they can just hide behind it like they can with BBQ. Yes, removing the basic attack was nice. Yes, the cooldown is more forgiving. But overall the perk is even less useful than before. This was basically a nerf on a perk that never saw play.
Idk if I would call it a worse perk. It feels more like a sidegrade. Instead of having an activation condition that was likely not happening often you now have an activation condition that will happen. However, they nerfed the information to make the perk more reliable.
It's a decision I don't really get, because it honestly wouldn't have made the perk too strong to more consistent value from it.