BHVR is doing a great job so far
For real though, I love the Ringu chapter. Everything is really well done and the killer feels very balanced. Keep up the good work people.
For real though, I love the Ringu chapter. Everything is really well done and the killer feels very balanced. Keep up the good work people.
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
If by balanced you mean weak, then sure
I mean she’s not like the 5 most recent anti-loop killers they’ve released that’s for sure. Personally, I played around 15-20 matches as her yesterday and around 5 against her and if you play her well, she can apply a lot of pressure quickly through her teleportation and ability to sneak up on people.
To each their own though, I’m just personally happy that another boring anti-loop killer didn’t make it into the game.
She didnt need to be anti-loop but she needed to be creative, which is something developers aren't doing. She is just a combination of freddy and wraith, which makes her boring.
How is an M1 Killer with an arguably weaker Demogorgon Portal "not weak"?
Well, I can't speak for the person that you're responding to, but I would start by pointing out that her teleportation is inarguably stronger than Demogorgon's. She doesn't have to have already set up the exit portal earlier in the match, it's way faster, and there's a status effect associated with doing it on top of survivors that serves as off-gen slowdown.
Her teleportation mechanic is the best in the game. She doesn't have to set it up, she doesn't have to wait for survivors to trigger it, and it's fast as hell. Combined with a potent stealth mechanic, and she becomes a genuinely solid killer if you know what to do with her- you just can't brute force the way you can with a lot of killers.
If this Killer was released a year or two ago, I would be very impressed.
Now that we have so many Killers, the similarities are very stark to notice and they really need to understand:
"Why would I play X Killer when Y Killer does it better?" This exact line was used during Trickster release (Trickster vs Huntress).
You can only enjoy the theme of a Killer for so long before you realize there are better options.
She may be weak, but she is fun. And spooky. Mostly spooky.
I feel that this is what a lot of people are missing. I don't genuinely care if the new killers they release are "S tier" or "high MMR viable". I want to enjoy playing a killer that doesn't feel boring for both sides to play as or play against. Sadako is the first killer in a long time that has made me feel both of these things.
I shouldn’t have said weak either. She’s just not a straight up chaser like we’ve gotten used to. She’s more like Mirror Myers as a basekit.
Her TV's might not require set up, but it has a 100 second cooldown. That's longer than a whole Gen, the "slowdown" that she has is non-existant. I've gotten a single mori with it, and that was a Survivor who walked into walls 90% of the time. Survivors have to throw themselves at TV's the whole match to make it work.
She's really good when there's 3 Survivors left. When there's just 1 dead Survivor, you've practically won the game as The Onryō. Problem is getting to that point as an M1 'Hit N Run' Killer in the CoH meta
Agreed, but those good works gets overshadowed with all the amount of problems with the current balance of the game / MMR.. showing something that everyone already knew... the maps are badly designed against people that are good and killer gameplay has reach the point were is so unfun to play due to boons / dead hard / busted tiles were you can't do nothing to even get more than 1 kill.. same for survivor solo Q is horrible right now.
I won't argue against the idea that the 100 second cooldown is too long, but that doesn't automatically translate to it being weak at all, let alone weaker than the Demogorgon portals. The cooldown is for each TV, not the teleportation itself, so she can make pretty good use of each one on top of her stealth power- and again, it is far less restrictive and far faster than the Demogorgon's equivalent. The better comparison is Freddy's teleport, and it's still better than that.
I'm mostly fascinated by your second argument, though. You say that her slowdown is non-existent, and your supporting evidence for that is that you got one mori out of it? You're not supposed to get moris with it- don't think of it like Pyramid Head's mini-mori, think of it like Pig's RBTs. The point is to slow survivors down, not to actually reliably kill them with it.
Sadako isn't the strongest killer they've released but she's perfectly serviceable. She's a stealth killer with a map traversal mechanic, and that's how you should play her.
(More importantly, she's fun. It's not all about how efficiently she can win, actually being enjoyable is more important.)
I can agree with this. The Boon meta for sure makes her not as viable as she would have been 6 months ago. Maps and dead hard as you pointed out definitely never help with M1 killers either. If boons get nerfed/reworked though (as they should BHVR) she will definitely be the standard for M1 killers.
She has ALOT of map pressure something that M1 killers are missing.
I say this because being someone who plays an M1 killer as their main character (Michael) there are times where you can hold pressure but it is much more difficult for him to go from point A to point B. He (like many other killers) doesn’t have that luxury.
That in and of itself needs to be recognized. You may not think she is balanced but so far she feels balanced playing as and against.
Out of the 15 or so games I played with her yesterday there was only one where I didn't 3 or 4k and it was my second match with her on The Game. Her teleportation is so good at applying a lot of pressure really quickly, there were multiple games where it felt like I didnt go over 10 seconds without chasing someone.
She feels like she was designed for a pre-CoH DBD and I think she would've thrived there.
Unfortunately, in our post-CoH and MMR world, she's just not that good.
That doesn't mean she can't be fun, but it does mean she will struggle to perform adequately against competent players.
I can’t really speak to her power level as I’ve only played a handful of matches and I don’t play much these days anyway, but she’s one of the most fun killers for me and I think her kit is really well designed, although the tv cooldown does seem too high.