What really made me take a break from DbD

I'm a killer main, and so...

For myself, It's The "Thankless Job" aspect of it. I already get enough of that BS at work, from people who ruthlessly tear into me for something that's not my fault, but they gotta vent their rage on someone, and while I understand that, I don't appreciate it. Then I come home, sometimes days after putting up with all that abuse to login for a few games of DbD, but match after match, I get the same old treatment, if not harsher, simply for playing the role that this game can't exist without.

Is it so wrong for me to just want to have fun, relax, take up the challenge or present it to my opposition in the vain of good sportsmanship? sigh, instead I get bullied in game, harassed, abused in messages, and even threatened or told to commit suicide, just because I was trying to make the game equally fun and challenging for the survivors I go up against.

There's only so much a person can put up with before they decide the effort isn't worth it, and I've been playing this game as killer less, and less every month, because it just doesn't "feel" worth it anymore. Hell, even playing survivor still earns me Ire from my teammates because of MY perceived inadequacies resulting in THEIR loss. Even if you put Game imbalances aside while playing killer, I welcomed everything as a new threat or challenge that I would have to deal with and try to overcome in order to win in stride, but overall... "It's a thankless job, but somebodies gotta do it!"... in the end, this has ultimately become the Killer Players/Mains creed, but that doesn't mean survivors should feel free to be bunch of egocentric and entitled brats to the ones who take up challenge of doing the job! Far too frequently they bemoan or assault Killers for doing what the game itself dictates they do in order to win, just as it does for them.... which is to say: WIN by any means necessary!

FFS Survivor mains, at least try playing killer for a month before you ruthlessly tear into them for doing their job! I just feel it's ridiculous for Survivor mains to continue treating the Killer players of the game like they're repugnant human garbage, just because they chose to play the role that makes this game work, and even worse... have the gall to question "why doesn't anyone one want to play killer anymore?"

Yeah... If this game dies, I know who to put the blame on, and, "Spoiler Alert!" It's not the devs.


Treat your fellow players with respect, learn what they can do, adapt your playstyles accordingly, and above all have FUN together in good sportsmanship. This game can't exist if your opposition can't present a challenge to you, so stop hating them for their win, stop berating them for your own faults/inadequacies, and start thinking about what you/your team could've done better.


For everyone:

I also have a list of "Unbiased Rules" I follow, but don't demand anyone else does.

If you want to read them here you go:

@TWiXT said:

Due to the new Resident Evil Chapter release, we have received an influx of new players, and so I must start this post by saying:

Welcome to Dead by Daylight, and I hope you are all having fun so far (despite how rough this chapters release has been)!

That being said, you're likely to see a whole lot of forum posts, and/or chat messages citing "Made up Rules" Killers and Survivors should follow. Most, if not all of these are based on individual experiences, and are heavily biased for what ever side (Killer or Survivor) the posting member primarily plays, so before you comment or "side" with anyone, here is a list of unbiased "rules" that I believe everyone can get behind as a foundation to enjoying your experience in DbD:

1 - Play how you want to play and enjoy the game.

2 - If you show no respect... don't expect any.

3 - The Killers role is to kill, the Survivors is to survive... Both by any means necessary. This is the Hearts-blood Core reality of how this game is played! No matter how a killer or survivor(s) win the match, it's all part of the games design, and no one should waste any time or energy complaining about it as long as they've gained their victory using the legal mechanics, or tactics the game provides/allows them to achieve it!

In other words ALL IS FAIR when it comes to playing the role you've chosen (unless cheating/hacking, but we'll get into that further down the list in rule 7). If there's anything you feel is unfair about either side:

  1. Reflect upon your own side and what tactics and builds you/your team are using to achieve your goal.
  2. Compare it to what your opponent(s) used to achieve theirs.
  3. If possible, strive to experience the other side FIRST before you post any complaints on the forums about your experience against your opposition.
  4. Ask yourself if there is something inherently broken in the games mechanics that needs to be addressed before you resort to posting your complaint (e.g. Encountering perks, items, add-ons, mechanics, or abilities that absolutely provide too much of an advantage to your opposition, and are un-counterable by anything you do. If there is a counter to these things, either discovered by yourself or researched, save your complaint and learn/employ said counter the next time you face it, if not... then by all means let the devs know by posting your complaint).

Always remember, if your opponent won a match/trial while using the legal mechanics the game provides, it's not really their fault for taking advantage of it, is it? In other words, if you have a complaint you're just itching to express on the forums, you should first ensure that you're Legitimately Hating the game, not the player. As anything else will be seen as nothing more than a post filled with "banal whining" by the majority of the community.

4 - When the gates are powered... Anything goes!

Don't kid yourself by thinking otherwise! Neither side is gonna roll over and just "let you win" when this happens, and not only do both sides know this... Realistically at that point the only job the killer role has is to secure kills since there aren't any gens left for them to protect, and the only job the survivors have is to escape with as many alive as possible.

So, No matter what tactics or skills you employ at this period in the match/trial... The gloves are off! Recall rule 3, and feel free to do whatever it takes to achieve your goal. No one can blame you for whatever you do in the endgame, and if they do, for the most part they're just being sore sports.

Enjoy your victory, or embrace your defeat. Either way, "When the gates are powered" is, more often than not, the most intense part of the trial, and you should take whatever advantages you can against your opposition as they (mostly) won't show any mercy towards you.

5 - You paid money for a multiplayer experience, and thus aren't entitled to win every match. Anyone who takes umbrage to this should stick to single-player games where-in you are entitled to eventually win for the money you paid. Being salty because of a lost match is unbecoming, embarrassingly juvenile, and toxic to the communities reputation. We're all people pitting our skills, strategies, builds and knowledge against each-other. If you lose and have nothing good to say in the post game chat or over the console chat system: Either Leave a "gg," or no message at all, and then calm down/lick your wounds, and move onto the next match. This is just a game after all.

6 - For PC players: Post game chat can be closed using the ">>" in the lower right of the chat box, and will remain closed until you open it again. No one deserves abuse, so if you find yourself frustrated over excessive endgame chat toxicity: Feel Free to Report the most egregious offenders, or otherwise Just close it, and continue enjoying the game in peace.

For Console Players: I understand that many other players can/will attempt to contact you via the consoles messaging service, and that this can't always be ignored or shut off. None the less, you do not deserve abuse, and if anyone is violating that via text or voice messages, then they are violating the policies the consoles communication service stands for! Feel free to let your consoles administrators know that your rights to enjoy this game are being infringed upon by other players, or otherwise, if possible, try to simply ignore the messages they send you, and continue playing at your leisure.

7 - This is a 4v1 Lobby and Match style, or Asymmetrical Multiplayer game. When you queue up to play a match you are committing to seeing it through so that everyone can enjoy the game, and everyone else who queued up is depending on your commitment to the match in order to experience said enjoyment. The acceptable reasons for Intentionally Disconnecting from a match are as follows:

A Game breaking bug rendering you incapable of playing a normal match.

A Player(s) taking the game hostage/hacking/exploiting bugs or unintentional game mechanics, or bullying/griefing you. (Record if possible, and Report them after leaving the match.

Influences and situations outside of the game that make your disconnection unavoidable in order to deal with said circumstance(s).

Disconnecting from a match intentionally for any other reason is a practice in bad sportsmanship that Ruins the experience for all other players, Disconnecting over petty reasons doesn't do anything other than piss off everyone else, and makes you a worse player for it since you don't learn how to play any better by quitting. Disconnecting is currently being punished for a good reason: Too many DC's from too many players results in leaving the community as a whole with a sour experience, and could eventually kill the game we love. If you are frustrated with how a match is going; Take it in stride as a learning experience, see it through to the end, take a break if you need to, and decide if you want to queue up for another match. We all bought this game in order to play it with others despite how each match goes, and the majority of the fun this game offers is in the variation of each individual match.

Don't be a petty DC'er.

8 - For survivors: Rage Quitting via suicide on the hook is a unique option available to the survivor side of this game and is your choice, but If your suicide on the hook isn't advantageous to your team, as with rule 7, all it does is ruin the experience for the rest of your team, and piss everyone off. While it's not likely to ever be punished, it's still regarded by the community as a show of bad sportsmanship. If you don't at least try to play through until the end, regardless of the results, you are only hurting the experience for all other players both new and old, but it's with the new players where this hurts their game experience the most.

Bad matches happen, we understand, but that's no reason "throw a game", especially over petty reasoning. Matches can turn around at the drop of a hat as long as everyone's still playing, and often do, but you won't experience that if you RQ on the hook, and by doing so you drastically affect the teams ability to pull off said "turn around". On top of this, it does nothing for your personal skill growth as a player, or your Blood Point/Experience gains, so there aren't really any reasons to do this other than petty/selfish ones.

9 - Regarding "Toxic" behavior: Killers have a limited but impactful set of behaviors that are, by and large, considered "Toxic" by the community, but survivors have far more of these "Toxic" behaviors available to them. The reason for this is because... while killers can only be "Toxic" towards survivors, Survivors can be "Toxic" to either the killers or their fellow survivors.

I'm certain many of you have either experienced these behaviors, or have seen them reported/complained about on the forums, and While a decent amount of them don't fit the "spirit" of the game... a surprising amount of them do!

Please refer to this article:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/kb/articles/139-game-rules

This outlines the basics of what is considered Reportable amounts of player Toxicity, but also defines what many consider to be "Toxic" behavior, as simply part of the game.

That being said, there's still a lot of behaviors that, while not ban-able offenses, are ultimately considered "Toxic" by the community: Leaving a survivor to die on their first hook even though the killer isn't "Face-camping" them, Purposely "Sandbagging" another survivor so that they will get hit or downed by the killer, Face-camping in general, Slugging the Entire Survivor team until they bleed out, etc... While none of these behaviors are considered ban-able offenses, none of them are any fun for the victims, and They will let Behavior/the Devs know about it!

I Urge all players to Recall Rule 2 when making these choices, and Have some common decency when you play! We're all players, and we all want to enjoy the game together, but when any Player(s) repetitively engage in these kinds of "Toxic Behavior" to the point that the community picks up on it, they have been known to outright Mercilessly attack/target these players, and with enough community pressure/collected evidence, some "toxic" players have been banned by the Devs due to enough community backlash over their antics (look up Ochido if you aren't convinced).

There's only so much "Toxicity" this Community and the Devs CAN or WILL tolerate, as should be expected of any gaming community, so while it's "Okay" to have a little "Toxic" fun at others expenses from time to time, PLEASE, for your own sake... DON'T MAKE A HABIT OF IT!

Consider yourselves Fairly Warned.

10 - If it's a legal mechanic in the game, don't be afraid to use it...No matter what side you play. Half the fun is discovering new strategies, counters, and synergies using the tools the game provides, so no matter how effective or overpowered you feel they are, there's nothing wrong with using them to your advantage.

11 - Take the good with the bad in stride, rise to meet the challenge every new match presents, but overall... 

have fun!

Honestly, this is just a list of Common Sense spelled out for everyone to see. The inherent problem of "unwritten" or "Made up rules" is that they're more of guidelines that nobody is obligated to follow. I know that this list won't change everyone's minds, much less their playstyles, but I felt that if I expressed the rules I follow when playing this game for all to see, maybe others might have them in mind when playing, whether they choose to use them or not.

To all you new players, again Welcome to DbD, I hope this was helpful for you, and if you are going to follow any "Made up Rules", I believe this is a good set to start off with.

Any Praise, condemnation, Creative Criticisms or suggested additions to this list of rules are welcome! Please comment if you have anything to add or say.

It may be "out of date" at this point, but I believe that much of it is still sound as I still follow it, and think it's worth reading. Please advise me if anything doesn't fit in todays environment.

Comments

  • I just pretend that the toxic players are role-playing as a generic antagonist with nothing original to say and for the most part, I am never wrong. Who is pretending?!


    In all seriousness, I do not let abusive players dicate whether or not I enjoy a game. That is my decision alone and none of their tears will change that.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    I just pretend that the toxic players are role-playing as a generic antagonist with nothing original to say and for the most part, I am never wrong. Who is pretending?!

    In all seriousness, I do not let abusive players dicate whether or not I enjoy a game. That is my decision alone and none of their tears will change that.

    Well said, but, It can get to people over time. Dealing with that is all part of the game I guess... but it really shouldn't have to be, especially based upon the role you choose to take.

    In a perfect world, we'd all respect each other, and only point out actual flaws the game has regarding balance. Sadly, with this community, that's not the case, as each side has decided to relentlessly complain about anything that makes the game more challenging for them, only to come across as more entitled overall.

    Sigh... If only the rest of the community could be like that, I think we'd have much more fun together overall while acknowledging our strengths and weaknesses, or embracing our defeats and wins with a common respect for our fellow players. Sadly no, Abuse still comes, and I feel it comes more for those that play the killer role than it does for survivors.

    The only thing I think all of us can agree upon is that cheaters/hackers deserve to be banned, if not burn in hell, as they have no place in this game! Sadly that won't change the abuse that killers unfairly receive on a daily basis, but at least it's something we can all rally against regardless of our roles... feel free to call me out if you disagree.

  • I can understand that. I said it in another thread... People like that don't make me sad or go to bed crying.... It's just annoying when it's like that all the time. So i can understand someone quitting because they feel like they are babysitting a herd of annoying sh!ts.

    I'm on console so i was able to completely shut off any forms of contact with other players, and it was the best thing I've ever done! If you can do the same... Try it.

  • So, a game got deep under your skin. A match where survivors don't even remember your name after 30 seconds.

    How do you feel about that?

  • @BlindMole said:

    I can understand that. I said it in another thread... People like that don't make me sad or go to bed crying.... It's just annoying when it's like that all the time. So i can understand someone quitting because they feel like they are babysitting a herd of annoying sh!ts.

    I'm on console so i was able to completely shut off any forms of contact with other players, and it was the best thing I've ever done! If you can do the same... Try it.

    I did the same after my first year of playing DBD. It was funny at first but then it just got stale.

  • It's funny when someone starts spitting ######### at you and you just say "k", which makes them even more furious...

  • @ThanksForDaily said:

    So, a game got deep under your skin. A match where survivors don't even remember your name after 30 seconds.

    How do you feel about that?

    Words have power and you'd be a fool to dismiss that.


  • @ThanksForDaily said:

    So, a game got deep under your skin. A match where survivors don't even remember your name after 30 seconds.

    How do you feel about that?

    It's NEVER been just 1 game.

    Sigh... I have over 1600 hours in DbD, most of which has been killer, and y'know, there's only so much abuse a person can take before they've had enough and say "######### this game!". No 1 game "got deep under my skin" not even for my first 1000 games did that (roughly first 400 hrs), but after a while, when someone plays this game their best for long enough, and receives nothing but abuse for it... they realize that there's no reward, only hatred from the other players. There's no Point in sacrificing their time when they could be doing something that makes them feel better. There's no reason to keep playing, and only a sour taste that won't go away every time they think about this game, because of their past experiences.

    What saddens me MOST is that: NEW killer players get this kind of undeserved abuse from the moment they start playing, and can only expect to experience it for the ENTIRE time they play the role!

    Would YOU continue playing? Knowing that the role YOU selected was not only "thankless", but also abused so regularly by the majority of the community, despite the fact that the game can't exist without it?

    SO, I ask you... How do YOU feel about that?

  • I would deal with whatever issues you have at work. None of our business but deal with that and you will feel a lot better.

    What happens in this game pales in comparison and doesn't really matter.

  • @Sepex said:

    I would deal with whatever issues you have at work. None of our business but deal with that and you will feel a lot better.

    What happens in this game pales in comparison and doesn't really matter.

    The service industry is cruel. So many calls, so many customers complaining about the loss of service, and all of them taking out their frustrations on you, despite the fact that you had nothing to do with it, and are just their first line of contact with the company. I'm sure you, like many others, have lost your cable or internet connection in the past, and I hope that when you called for a fix, it was expedient and you were grateful/cool headed, but not every issue is like that, not everyone's issues are fixed quickly, and more often than not, people who call in are angry, and won't be grateful/cool headed no matter what you do to help them. This is my job, and I take it, all of the abuse, anger, frustration, day in and day out, for the past decade+, no matter who's really at fault. There is no "dealing with it" that's just how it is, and it's my cross to bear, But, you're right, that's none of your or anyone else's business regarding this game.

    So, I get into DbD, to relax/"have fun", and normally it goes well, but many times, too often to count at this point, no matter how good or bad I play as the Killer, again all I receive is abuse from my opposition. What's worse is that at least in DbD, the Killer role HAS a direct impact and purpose to those I play against, since this game can't exist without people willing to play Killer, but after 1600+ hours of playing, I can literally count on 1 hand how many times have I ever been praised for it, and the rest has been nothing but abuse.

    Excluding my job as a factor, who the HELL would WANT to pick this role? Especially knowing that all you'll ever receive is abuse from your fellow players? If you were to recommend this game to a friend, would you tell them to pick survivor, or killer?

    Yeah sure, I'm just a "crybaby" as any "true gamer" can just shrug it off, or even close the chat if it's bothering them, right? However, the lack of respect towards the killer players, via forum posts, or in game chat/antics, eventually eats away at you, and makes you question why you're even doing this to yourself, and you eventually begin to question whether or not your commitment to the role is really about showing off your skills, or more of a testament of your masochism?

    The bottom line is that, choosing to play killer after enough hours, isn't so much a role you play to "have fun" anymore, as it has become a "Thankless Job" that this game can't exist without, and Killer Mains like myself are have had enough of the survivors abuses and complete disrespect towards us. I took 3 months off from playing because I was just not having "Fun" anymore with either Role, but especially the when it came to playing killer, and geez, who can blame me when I already put in what amounts to 1.28 years of my life invested in this game, only to be met with nothing but abuse and ire from my poor sport opponents.

    But hey, "What happens in this game pales in comparison and doesn't really matter" so It doesn't matter how much time and effort we've invested in it, right?

    You keep telling yourself that while wondering why the survivor queues are getting longer, and don't you dare even think about praising a killer for how well they played... because, obviously, they're just here for your entertainment and don't have any feelings, do they?

    After all... "it's just a game"