How does matchmaking works?
Hi I started playing DBD this week, but I'm really facing difficult matchups,
why am I matched against such strong players?
I mean is there even a matchmaking system in dbd? what's the rank for?
Hi I started playing DBD this week, but I'm really facing difficult matchups,
why am I matched against such strong players?
I mean is there even a matchmaking system in dbd? what's the rank for?
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
It doesn't work.
In all seriousness, mmr has been loosened, presumably to deal with queue times. So... it is kind of like the old days again. It is like a hazing ritual, you place new players against people with hundreds upon thousands of hours and voila, they are hooked.
:( not really nice.....I just looked at the ranks, Iridescent 1 is the top rank..... and Iridescent 2 just after that... and I'm just ash... wow
Ranks dont make matchmaking anymore. However a week old player shouldnt be matched against people who play long enough to have full builds of perks fr multiple characters.
You are matched by an invisible number which is calculated from your killers kills or survivor escapes.
However the system is ######### and its matching whoever it likes with whoever waits long enough
The slightly more verbose version: the first problem (that the devs have admitted) is that new players are starting with too high an MMR. This means that you're initially matched with average players, not new or bad ones--which, obviously, isn't fair in the slightest. The second is that the MMR used widens and widens the longer it can't find an appropriate match, or if someone quits a lobby it jumps right up. So, either they were waiting a long time, or the Killer quit the lobby, and you get a bad match.
Both of these are things they're looking to fix, though.
Good job on getting the kill despite that and with so little, though. Even without some of the more troublesome perks to deal with, that's good going.
It doesn't.
But seriously, for one the algorithm is utterly incapable of tracking how good of a player an individual is and as such any "balancing" it does when setting up a lobby is nothing more than lottery. And two, even if the MMR was somewhat indicative of skill (it's not), the number is just flat out ignored for faster queue times anyway. As long as 40% of matches end in a 0k and 40% of the matches are an absolute massacre of 4k, the devs can just pat themselves on the back for balancing the game so well.
Wish the devs could see this thread, to acknowledge that this system is pure garbage and should be removed
So to go into detail, you are assigned a hidden Matchmaking Rating (MMR) that goes up or down after each match. If you’re a killer, it goes up if you kill someone and down if they escape, and vice versa if you are a survivor. How much it goes up or down depends on other factors like how high or low your rating is compared to the opponent and (I think) whether someone was the first kill versus a later kill (since once one survivor dies it significantly increases the chance of later survivors also dying, so that first kill carries more weight in the MMR shift). You’ll have one MMR as a survivor, and you have a separate MMR for every kill character you’ve played (since killers are so different from each other they get individual ratings or at least individual modifiers on the ratings)
With that MMR in hand, the matchmaking system then tries to put you in lobbies with other players of similar ratings. Generally speaking, if everybody in the lobby is around the same MMR, the match should be fairly close with a result of 1-3 kills most of the time and a statistical average around 2 kills. And from what I can tell in my own games, at least, that seems to be the case.
Now that being said, even assuming the MMRs are accurate, there are still mismatches for a few reasons, some of which are unavoidable
One more point I almost forgot to mention, the Grade symbols you see on the endgame screen have nothing to do with matchmaking at all. They’re a relic of the old matchmaking system and are just used now as sort of a monthly tracker of how often you play more or less. If you play a lot of games, and do reasonably ok, you will slowly climb up to the Red Grades and, at the end of the monthly period, get nice bloodpoint rewards based on how high that Grade is (up to 1 million each for both your killer and survivor grades). Then each month all those Grades reset all the way to bottom and you start again. So it’s quite possible to have excellent players have really low grades if they simply haven’t played much this month, and have kind of bad players have really high grades if they play a lot in a month but aren’t getting too much better over time. So while there’s some correlation between high Grades and being really good it’s not as strong as you might think.
I know how you feel in reverse, me and friends decided to all play together yesterday, and for some reason we were consistently getting matched with killers that were either new (to our perception) or with few and low level perks.
Really good in depth explanation.
Just don't criticize the devs. They are very sensitive to their poor designs.
Thanks for the long answer :) I understand more now :)
hopefully I'll be better at the game :) soon