How I would change Boil Over

Just a quick random thread to throw an idea I had out

The current idea of Boil Over giving you free wiggle progression from the killer dropping from a height is a little bit iffy and I'm not 100% sure if the mechanic itself is why it's being abused or if it's just the amount that you get given for it (25% is a lot) so I had this idea

The idea:

What if Boil Over gave you that extra wiggle progress when your teammates take protection hits for you? (Alternatively, if the killer whiffs an attack while carrying).

Taking protection hits for survivors being carried is usually fruitless unless there's either a saboteur around or if the whole team is coordinated. This would make taking hits for your teammates a bit more worthwhile and obviously you could add some kind of indicator that your teammate has the perk, so you know "Hey if i take a hit for them, they have an increased chance of escape."

How is this better than the current version?:

As it stands, the current version requires zero risk from the survivors - it's all down to the killer 'not falling from a great height' which as I'm sure many of us have seen, is straight up impossible in a lot of scenarios. The version I propose is better because it adds two things:

More risk on the survivor side & counterplay for the killer

Killers could see that Boil Over is in play and if they see teammates about to take hits, they can either drop the survivor or adjust their pathing to a different hook. Current boil over doesn't really allow this if the survivor puts themself in a spot where this is difficult but at least the killer will gain something from this tactic I.E Injuries which can turn into potential quick chases & snowball.

You could also tone the number down from 25% to a more palatable number like 15% and I still think this would be a fun perk to reward risky altruism instead of it just being "you either leave me on the floor or you let me wiggle free because I went down here."


The idea is by no means perfect or even 'balanced' really but I just wanted to throw it out there since why not?

Comments

  • This idea is leagues better than what the devs came up with. Too bad they're so blind

  • @CrashMADDS13 said:

    This idea is leagues better than what the devs came up with. Too bad they're so blind

    Appreciate the feedback! This was just a random thought I had since I imagine boil over will be put through the wringer in the upcoming hotfix

    I hope we don't just see a lazy number adjustment and that's it.

  • Not a bad suggestion! Would be much better than the current iteration. Here is an idea I was thinking of:

    Whenever the killer bumps into an object while carrying the survivor, it grants 1/2/3% bonus wiggle progression (not for the rest of the wiggle, just for the moments of collision).

    This way it is still stronger than the previous version, but doesn't encourage the survivor to run to the same spot over and over like the current version. This would also make the perk balanced by being more useful on some maps (like Midwich) and not so much on others (like Rotten fields). Teammates could also aid the carried survivor through bodyblocking, but the killer still has the choice to hit the bodyblockers, try to move around them, or drop the survivor.

    Let me know what you think!

  • @JacksonWise said:

    Not a bad suggestion! Would be much better than the current iteration. Here is an idea I was thinking of:

    Whenever the killer bumps into an object while carrying the survivor, it grants 1/2/3% bonus wiggle progression (not for the rest of the wiggle, just for the moments of collision).

    This way it is still stronger than the previous version, but doesn't encourage the survivor to run to the same spot over and over like the current version. This would also make the perk balanced by being more useful on some maps (like Midwich) and not so much on others (like Rotten fields). Teammates could also aid the carried survivor through bodyblocking, but the killer still has the choice to hit the bodyblockers, try to move around them, or drop the survivor.

    Let me know what you think!

    Your version is also decent as well! I quite like how it ties into the 1st affect of the increased wiggle swaying. I added a possible alternative to my suggestion about it giving wiggle progress when the killer whiffs when carrying which would also build upon the increased swaying because trying to hit people bodyblocking you when you're swaying constantly is a lot harder than usual

    I like your idea though! I'd be happy with that if that was the alternative to the current.