New player's first impression

[Edit-preface: I know, it's long and it probs doesn't matter to anyone. - But on the off-chance that anyone ever wondered and bothers to read. - Here is a newbs take on the game.]


I see there's a lot of heated debate going on around here - some might call it a toxic salt-party. And most of these threads are seem populated by people who've been playing for quite a while. My rather newbie impression so far might very well be way off the mark and look like complete nonsense to people who've reached a certain level of experience. - Hence me writing this, instead of going around spewing my potential nonsense in all corners.

Anyhow. Here goes. ~six weeks and ~250hrs in. There are four big things that come to mind, when I think about my experience so far. First: What is "winning" in this game? Second: Oh dear, oh dear - it's match making again. Three: I'm this close to rage quitting - survivor edition. Four: I'm this close to rage quitting - killer edition. - Three and four beg the question: why are people doing that? - And personally I do have a theory (haha, yes, I know; newbie theory. - But promise: it's not related to buffing or nerfing).

First: Browsing the forums it seems only 4k/4e counts as "winning". - But that, to me, seems rather stupid, frankly. 2e/2k seems like an "intended outcome" - or one that makes sense to me, anyhow. Of course, as a surv a win is only really "my win" when I am escaping. But the whole Kill-Escape-metric aside I think a "successful" game is when I got to do as much of the stuff you can do in a match as possible; get decent points in all categories, get a decent amount of BP, stall the killer/survivors, open a chest or two, find a totem or two and do some challenge-stuff. And on that note the whole k/e-ratio seems kinda out of place. Genuine question: Why are there so many people so fixated on 4k/4e (esp. the 4k tho)?

Second: Matchmaking. That one seems to be chronically drunk. It takes ages and there are a lot of times where the skill levels seemed very mis-matched. Not just between team and killer - but within the team as well. When I get a pretty obviously experienced killer (usually you notice very quickly, I'd say) then so be it; it usually just means it's a very short round for me. But I do feel like I'm a deadweight on my teamies on those occasions - and I don't get why matchmaking is designed that way. It's not like you can actually learn anything from playing with experienced survivors.

Third and fourth. - Let's do this together, cause it's almost the same thing. There are behaviours that are really annoying. As a survivor I don't understand how some killers are so hellbent on getting that sacrifice that they literally sit on your face when hooked, tunnel you for the entirety of the game, or feel it's necessary to wait on the hatch to slam it shut right in front of you. By all means, close the hatch when you see it - but that standing-and-waiting is just an unnecessary move. Same with not waiting the one second that's left for someone to finish their glyph (or with the event: envelopes). I just don't get it. - The same can happen on the survivor side as well: The whole being-annoying-with-a-flashlight-for-the-sake-of-being-annyoing, hardcore trying to bait the killer into a chase by running in front of them and teabagging and what not is just as infuriating. It's not like anyone is getting anything out of this kind of behaviour - or am I missing something here? (Personally, I'm also one of those people who think it's more fair and sporty to know when to quit/give up. There is a point where you know: even if you keep running (as a survivor) or get that one kill (as a killer) - you still lost. You know that. And everyone else knows that. And it's really just kinda sad if people don't act accordingly. And while that is my understanding of 'sportsmanslike behaviour' I know it's not a prescribed understanding everyone has to agree and adhere to.)

But yes. These kinds of behaviours - on both sides - have gotten me somewhat close to rage-quitting. Which is how I even ended up here. Because I just don't get it. Why do these things when they don't add anything positive to anyone's experience - your own included.

Cue all the "the game is so imbalanced" discussions here. I know too little about all the details of all the perks and how "top players" play. - I'm not even close to having all perks and even further from being a "top player". - But. Even with the short time I've played so far there is one thing that keeps bugging me: While, as a survivor, I feel like there is *so much* room to grow, so many player-skills to learn and master, which comes with time and practice - I feel like this kind of "experience factor" is very much lacking on the Killer side. For each killer you practice the special-ability-mechanic. Once you get a bit of a hang of that, that's it, hardly any room left to grow. In other words, my impression is this: If an unskilled killer encounters an unskilled survivor, the killer will win. If a skilled survivor encounters a skilled killer, chances are the survivor will get the better of him more often than the other way around. Which is my newbie take on why the vet discussions in this forum are the way they are.


Well. To anyone who made it to the end of this novel: thanks. Tbh. I don't think the demand for "newbs opinion" is very high but still - on the off chance that anyone is at all interested, here it is. Cheers.

Comments

  • Stand and wait is because I have no clue where they are and I respect Andrenaline. If the survivor afks, I go and hook them. If they don't, well, they can do whatever the hell they want, I do not care.

  • People care about 4k 4e because it is obvious who is the winner and loser. While the devs want 2k 2e the game for killers acts as if it's a draw and your can either depip, stay stagnant or 1 pip depending on the events of that match. A long time ago wins and losses for killer was based on kills. 0-1 was lose 2 is draw 3-4 is a win and that's mentality never really left bring in second chance perk stacking and the occasional coordinated team and things can get heated by the severe shift in who the power role is quick especially if one is playing a low ranked killer and did perfectly or get a bad map.

  • @starkiller1286 said:

    People care about 4k 4e because it is obvious who is the winner and loser. While the devs want 2k 2e the game for killers acts as if it's a draw and your can either depip, stay stagnant or 1 pip depending on the events of that match. A long time ago wins and losses for killer was based on kills. 0-1 was lose 2 is draw 3-4 is a win and that's mentality never really left bring in second chance perk stacking and the occasional coordinated team and things can get heated by the severe shift in who the power role is quick especially if one is playing a low ranked killer and did perfectly or get a bad map.

    The pip system for killer sucks