Maximum amount of MMR you can lose in a match as killer?

After 600 hundred hours as Killer, I've finally figured out that, for me, the best way to have fun is to stop killing survivors. Killing anyone leads to an MMR increase, which leads to bully squads and all kinds of unpleasantness. To counter that, I've started going for 8 hooks while being sure to never kill anyone. I get my BP, everyone survives, most players are happy and I get kind chats post-game.

While I've been doing this for about 16 hours of gameplay, I still feel like my MMR is too damn high. I know RNG plays a bit part of it, but even after intentionally sinking my MMR for this long by not killing anyone I'm lucky if I get 4 hooks in most matches.

Since I've begun tanking my MMR I've found far less toxic survivors (teabagging, clicky clicks, nasty chats, etc.) so it's working in that regard, I'm just surprised that at this point my matches still feel largely impossible to win if I was trying to do so.

Are kills the only way that killer MMR increases, or is going for hooks also increasing it, or at least stalling how long it takes for my MMR to drop?

Again, I'm not intentionally lowering my MMR to stomp noobs, I legitimately don't want to kill anyone again while playing pubs and in doing so my sanity as Killer is in a much better place, I'm just surprised that it still feels so high at this point.

Comments

  •  To counter that, I've started going for 12 hooks while being sure to never kill anyone.

    You mean 8 hooks? 12 hooks would give you the 4K.

  • AH! Sorry @I_am_Negan yes, I meant 8 hooks, my bad.

  • Not all SWF are toxic, high-tier groups. But all high-tier SWF groups are toxic.

    So, to avoid these awful players, who ought to be in their own bracket because they're abusing outside-of-game advantages that solo queue cannot benefit from and killers are not balanced around, you have to NOT do the one thing that the game explicitly wants you to do?

    What an awful system they've built.

  • Yeah it's weird @Adjatha that DBD is the only game I've ever played where I feel rewarded by NOT playing the objective and playing the objective is a PUNISHMENT, at least as killer. I personally don't get satisfaction by rising any ranks. So if tanking my MMR means experiencing less toxicity and hair-pulling matches then so be it. I won't waste survivor's time (unless they're full of BM then I won't do anything all match) but I also won't kill anyone.

  • @EagerOgre said:

    AH! Sorry @I_am_Negan yes, I meant 8 hooks, my bad.

    No problem.

    Yeah if you play that way you do get more chilled matches.

    You can still go for kills just don't sweat for the 4K and you'll be alright.

  • It's unclear because figures are mostly leaked and leaks can't be discussed.

    However, mmr goes up indefinitely if you keep winning. There's simply a soft cap to your rating that basically tells the system to treat you as if you were at that rating once you reach or climb above it.

    So, if your mmr is a lot above the soft cap, it will take a while to tank it. There's also the additional factor that you have to tank the mmr on every single killer you wish to play.

  • From what I understand MMR depends a lot on how many people are playing at that specific time of the day. Let's say you have 200 high MMR survivors and only 40 high MMR killers playing at a certain time, 160 survivors are going to get paired with all 40 high MMR killers. Meanwhile the 40 survivors left will probably get paired with average/low MMR killers after a certain time waiting for a lobby.

    So even if you derank your MMR on purpose there's always a chance you would get paired with these teams. That's why even today you still see players with less than 100 hours who get paired with those over 4000.

  • @Labrac said:

    From what I understand MMR depends a lot on how many people are playing at that specific time of the day. Let's say you have 200 high MMR survivors and only 40 high MMR killers playing at a certain time, 160 survivors are going to get paired with all 40 high MMR killers. Meanwhile the 40 survivors left will probably get paired with average/low MMR killers after a certain time waiting for a lobby.

    So even if you derank your MMR on purpose there's always a chance you would get paired with these teams. That's why even today you still see players with less than 100 hours who get paired with those over 4000.

    That's actually really good context, thank you. Depending on who else is playing not ALL matches will be as chill as I want them.

  • @Bwsted the good news is when I was actually trying and playing for kills I doubt my MMR was anywhere near the soft cap. Sorry to ask but how much does each individual's killer MMR get lowered if your overall MMR is lowering? I thought I read somewhere that losing a lot with one killer still slightly lowers it with the other killers? I can't find those notes/explanations anywhere though!

  • I came to the same conclusion. I just try to do enough to pip and then avoid killing survivors even if i'm outplaying them. Getting kills means more stress as killer. No one plays games to be stressed

  • @The_C12H15NO2 said:

    I came to the same conclusion. I just try to do enough to pip and then avoid killing survivors even if i'm outplaying them. Getting kills means more stress as killer. No one plays games to be stressed

    But dont you need to kill 3 for pip?

  • @EagerOgre said:

    After 600 hundred hours as Killer, I've finally figured out that, for me, the best way to have fun is to stop killing survivors. Killing anyone leads to an MMR increase, which leads to bully squads and all kinds of unpleasantness. To counter that, I've started going for 8 hooks while being sure to never kill anyone. I get my BP, everyone survives, most players are happy and I get kind chats post-game.

    While I've been doing this for about 16 hours of gameplay, I still feel like my MMR is too damn high. I know RNG plays a bit part of it, but even after intentionally sinking my MMR for this long by not killing anyone I'm lucky if I get 4 hooks in most matches.

    Since I've begun tanking my MMR I've found far less toxic survivors (teabagging, clicky clicks, nasty chats, etc.) so it's working in that regard, I'm just surprised that at this point my matches still feel largely impossible to win if I was trying to do so.

    Are kills the only way that killer MMR increases, or is going for hooks also increasing it, or at least stalling how long it takes for my MMR to drop?

    Again, I'm not intentionally lowering my MMR to stomp noobs, I legitimately don't want to kill anyone again while playing pubs and in doing so my sanity as Killer is in a much better place, I'm just surprised that it still feels so high at this point.

    I know where you're coming from - but the problem is that you're smurfing. When you eventually do decide to step on the gas, you're just going to roll over dozens of newbies.

    Maybe, when you hit a spot that is challenging but still fun - go for the 2k to hold your MMR in that position.

  • @EagerOgre said:

    @Bwsted the good news is when I was actually trying and playing for kills I doubt my MMR was anywhere near the soft cap. Sorry to ask but how much does each individual's killer MMR get lowered if your overall MMR is lowering? I thought I read somewhere that losing a lot with one killer still slightly lowers it with the other killers? I can't find those notes/explanations anywhere though!

    In theory, mmr on individual killers goes up or down only if you use that specific killer.

    Average mmr is used exclusively to set a starting point for those killers that you've never played before.

  • I personally don't care a whole lot for pipping, I'm more about my stacks of BBQ. But I think you need at least 1 kill to get 1 pip if you have maxed out everything else, but I could be wrong.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/305151/maximum-amount-of-mmr-you-can-lose-in-a-match-as-killer

    I know where you're coming from - but the problem is that you're smurfing. When you eventually do decide to step on the gas, you're just going to roll over dozens of newbies.

    Maybe, when you hit a spot that is challenging but still fun - go for the 2k to hold your MMR in that position.

    Honestly, I'd be so happy if this game somehow magically gave me nothing but 2K's.

    And I get your point. It is smurfing, but I don't see why I would ever step on the gas, so I don't plan on taking advantage of the situation and going for 4K's, or even 2K's. I know, it's a weird way to play this game and not what the devs have indicated is a win condition. So now I'm in the philosophical dilemma of "Do I play a game the way that it's intended to be played or play it the way that I want to play it to maximize my own fun."

  • @The_C12H15NO2 said:

    I came to the same conclusion. I just try to do enough to pip and then avoid killing survivors even if i'm outplaying them. Getting kills means more stress as killer. No one plays games to be stressed

    Have you solved any math equation to understand the MINIMUM number of survivors to kill in a trial to get one pip? Is it 1 or 2? I know it depends a lot on the other categories though.


  • at higher grades maybe. i am more casual killer so i haven't moved above silver 4 since they changed the ranks into grades. since they just reset we'll see how often i play. if i end up needing a kill to pip i'll just kill 1 when i have the chance. personally i think mmr being based on kills/escapes only is dumb so i do this partly in protest.

  • @EagerOgre said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2750393#Comment_2750393

    Have you solved any math equation to understand the MINIMUM number of survivors to kill in a trial to get one pip? Is it 1 or 2? I know it depends a lot on the other categories though.

    it depends on your grade. idk what the math is. since pip is based on overall play i've had success focusing on actual gameplay instead of focusing on kills only. we'll see if i ever move into gold or iri grades if i need to kill someone to pip.

  • @EagerOgre said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2750393#Comment_2750393

    Have you solved any math equation to understand the MINIMUM number of survivors to kill in a trial to get one pip? Is it 1 or 2? I know it depends a lot on the other categories though.

    It's different based on your grade.

    In ash you should be able to get it from 1, maybe even 0 if you would max other emblems.

    Iri grade usually need 3.

  • @Dino7281 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2750500#Comment_2750500

    It's different based on your grade.

    In ash you should be able to get it from 1, maybe even 0 if you would max other emblems.

    Iri grade usually need 3.

    Thaaaaat is really good to know! Thank you!

  • @The_C12H15NO2 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2750452#Comment_2750452

    at higher grades maybe. i am more casual killer so i haven't moved above silver 4 since they changed the ranks into grades. since they just reset we'll see how often i play. if i end up needing a kill to pip i'll just kill 1 when i have the chance. personally i think mmr being based on kills/escapes only is dumb so i do this partly in protest.

    Yeah, but selfishly if they raised killer MMR based on hooks or other actions then I couldn't farm anymore without getting a huge MMR boost. Ugh! But I'm sure some players want that, the ones that care about MMR being as high possible.

  • So you're saying that MMR doesn't only take into account kills and actually knows how good of a killer you are?