Masks removed, Ok. Address the chat harassment next?

I think if we take steps to reduce harassment, we should go all in.

Lets start by talking about the horrid censure system that is in game right now.

There are slurs that still bypass it without even needing to type in a odd way, a good example of this is the r-word, that is often used to target people with disabilities.

I'm honestly really confused how the censure system even works, since just yesterday I was typing my nationality when someone asked me about it, and it was censured. A lot of other words are also censured that shouldn't be, including words from the game like "Myers", "Hawkins", "Facecamping", etc.

Is there any plans to improve this system at all or is this what we're stuck with? I'm sure people would rather get called a "meghead" than a slur, but the former one is the one who more often than not ends up censured.

Would an auto ban feature for people who send direct death threads and slurs be too much? I can see this being a problem if someone speaks another language and one of their words is similar to a slur, but I feel like if the words were manually added to the system instead of randomly generated, it would work better.

The reason I mention an auto ban feature for bigger offenses, is because lets be honest, reporting players in game is useless and too much work, because you also have to send them a manual report, with not only evidence but + steam ID + steam 64ID. This is a lot of work, and I honestly think a lot of these reports don't even get looked at, and if they do, they take months.

So either an auto ban featured for Manually added slurs, threats, or a better reporting system, which would be even better since it could be used to report hackers too.

Comments

  • I'm on console so have luckily been spared the wasteland of post-game chat, but I've seen so many Reddit posts about things like Myers being censored that it does warrant at least a rework. Also have seen censored words work differently for different players within the same post-game chat, so... It obviously doesn't work as intended, even without the slurs.

  • "Use the report feature" is about the only response you'll get

    The only way people get banned for chat harrassment is report tickets, I'm p sure

    Same with cheaters

  • @Brokenbones said:

    "Use the report feature" is about the only response you'll get

    The only way people get banned for chat harrassment is report tickets, I'm p sure

    Same with cheaters

    Aka an useless feature which is more of an headache than an actual solution since I'm pretty sure a lot still don't get banned.

  • @HeyItsQuiet said:

    I'm on console so have luckily been spared the wasteland of post-game chat, but I've seen so many Reddit posts about things like Myers being censored that it does warrant at least a rework. Also have seen censored words work differently for different players within the same post-game chat, so... It obviously doesn't work as intended, even without the slurs.

    Sometimes words get censured, another times they don't. Just simple words can get censured. It's automated and it's garbage.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730262#Comment_2730262

    Aka an useless feature which is more of an headache than an actual solution since I'm pretty sure a lot still don't get banned.

    In fairness, every cheater I've reported via support tickets (with video proof of course) did get banned in the end - some took longer than others but yeah

    I don't know how it works for chat harrassment though

  • Or just create option to permanently disable chat instead?

    And prevent flashlight macros

  • @Dino7281 said:

    Or just create option to permanently disable chat instead?

    And prevent flashlight macros

    I think at this point a chat with just click and point option for text would be better,

    Like things say gg wp and whatever else. That could also replace the thumbs up and down feature, which is useless.

  • But, may i ask, what happened exactly? For having the masks removed?

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730290#Comment_2730290

    I think at this point a chat with just click and point option for text would be better,

    Like things say gg wp and whatever else. That could also replace the thumbs up and down feature, which is useless.

    Hey, they have it in mtg Arena. I actually hate it.

    I always loved to talk with other side in most games.Yeah, sometimes you get toxic morons who don't understand what happened during game at all, or entitled kids, but you sometimes get wholesome survivors where it's fun or interesting to talk with them about your game.

    I wouldn't want to miss that. That's why I would rather see just an option to disable chat. If you don't want to deal with it, then just don't. I think it's weird that it wasn't implemented yet.

  • @Zolfo16 said:

    But, may i ask, what happened exactly? For having the masks removed?

    People were getting offended because Leatherface has a mask with Claudettes face and some people might have been using it to be racist and target people of color.

  • @Dino7281 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730300#Comment_2730300

    Hey, they have it in mtg Arena. I actually hate it.

    I always loved to talk with other side in most games.Yeah, sometimes you get toxic morons who don't understand what happened during game at all, or entitled kids, but you sometimes get wholesome survivors where it's fun or interesting to talk with them about your game.

    I wouldn't want to miss that. That's why I would rather see just an option to disable chat. If you don't want to deal with it, then just don't. I think it's weird that it wasn't implemented yet.

    I don't think disabling it all together should be the best option.

    Imo, actually adding words MANUALLY to the censure system, instead of it being automated, would do wonders.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730303#Comment_2730303

    People were getting offended because Leatherface has a mask with Claudettes face and some people might have been using it to be racist and target people of color.

    I don't really get that change to be honest.

    I mean, they are still going to do it, just looking different...

    Or they will get that meaning from different cosmetic.

  • Like a blackface?

    Isn't BF painting your face black? He didn't painted, he took off the skin and weared it as mask!

    So it is ok if the skin Meg but it is not ok if he skin Claudette?

    I dunno, i am confused.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730320#Comment_2730320

    I don't think disabling it all together should be the best option.

    Imo, actually adding words MANUALLY to the censure system, instead of it being automated, would do wonders.

    You mean that each player could create a list of things that would get censured?

    I am not saying to just disable it. I would just want to see an option in settings to either limit / disable chat.

    We could have:

    -original

    -filtered

    -disabled

  • How can you remove the masks, they are so cool, I love Maggie's mask, like I killed a lot of Meg, but that doesn't mean I'm chasing Meg and mocking them. How can removing masks solve the problem of bullying survivors that you don't like ??? Delirium is complete

  • @Dino7281 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730334#Comment_2730334

    I don't really get that change to be honest.

    I mean, they are still going to do it, just looking different...

    Or they will get that meaning from different cosmetic.

    Yes, they are still going to do it, that's why I made this thread since I think it was a really low effort way of removing certain types of harassment.

    Sure, they cant facecamp you with a smartface anymore, but they'll still call you the n word in chat. Nothing solved, at all.

  • @Dino7281 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730345#Comment_2730345

    You mean that each player could create a list of things that would get censured?

    I am not saying to just disable it. I would just want to see an option in settings to either limit / disable chat.

    We could have:

    -original

    -filtered

    -disabled

    Either players adding them, or BHVR adding obvious ones.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730303#Comment_2730303

    People were equipping the Smartface and Survivorface masks and using them to target and bully POC streamers. Content creators were being repeatedly stream sniped, facecamped, having slurs thrown at them etc by people using those masks because of their resemblance to blackface and asian-fishing respectively.

    Ok. Then removing the masks will solve nothing.

    The next time those people will use the Wraith and the Trickster instead.

    You can't cure stupidity this way.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730303#Comment_2730303

    People were equipping the Smartface and Survivorface masks and using them to target and bully POC streamers. Content creators were being repeatedly stream sniped, facecamped, having slurs thrown at them etc by people using those masks because of their resemblance to blackface and asian-fishing respectively.

    Stream sniping, facecamping isn't against any rules and doing those things doesn't make someone racist. Throwing insults at them, yea, pretty racist, but you know that's an end game chat issue, not a mask issue.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730388#Comment_2730388

    Stream sniping, facecamping isn't against any rules and doing those things doesn't make someone racist. Throwing insults at them, yea, pretty racist, but you know that's an end game chat issue, not a mask issue.

    I think the mask removal is much more in order to show "we are taking very seriously this situation!".

    It is something done in order to be safe with any reaction from the people or the media

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730395#Comment_2730395

    The Wraith and the Trickster don't resemble blackface nor asian-fishing so this comment is pretty moot.

    Man, those poeple do not really go into details when they try to be racist. They pick a south korean singer and that's it.

    If they want to be stupid they will find a way.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730402#Comment_2730402

    Why are you so insistent on taking snippets of what I'm saying and missing the overall point. Look at the wider context of the sentence. Please tell me where I said stream sniping and facecamping make someone racist? Where did I say they were agaisnt the rules? Nowhere.

    The sentence AS A WHOLE was: "Content creators were being repeatedly stream sniped, facecamped, having slurs thrown at them etc by people using those masks because of their resemblance to blackface and asian-fishing respectively." I was explaining the overall experience faced by POC streamers. Stop picking and choosing which parts you think are easiest to dismantle.

    You gave those 2 examples mixed with calling people slurs, when replying to someone how the masks were adding to harassment.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730428#Comment_2730428

    Yes I did, mixed into the sentece. Because they're related to the wider sentence and my point was about the bigger picture, not specifically one or the other aspect.

    Yet you chose to focus in on those ones and raise a point about them which wasn't related to what I was actually saying.

    Yes, you're correct that facecamping doesn't make someone racist. But I wasn't saying that so it's irrelevant.

    Facecamping and stream sniping don't add anything else that slurs already don't,

    You like to use the word irrelevant a lot when someone makes a point that you don't want to discuss. WHy not go argue with someone with more ReLeVaNt comments?

    Because I feel like you comment just to try to push your opinion on others, not really to contribute anything to the topic at hand, which is an actual way to end a lot of the harassment, by improving the chat feature....

  • I just hope if they are removing all of the masks even the innocent Meg and Dwight masks they give us more than a messily 6000 shards. I put in alot of work to get those and it feels like a slap in the face imo.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730456#Comment_2730456

    If you remember I did actully ask to avoid having this discussion with you because, as I said, we'd had it before and got nowhere. Yet you persisted in replying so that's what it came to 🤷

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/WFWHCBZZOROF/image.png

    The reason I've used the world irrelevant a lot is because you keep bringing up topics that are besides the point:

    • The Pride Charm
    • Coulrophobia
    • Freddy's appearance
    • Freddy's lore

    We weren't discussing those things and they aren't an accurate comparison so yeah, I think irrelevant is a fitting word.

    Just because we aren't discussing those things doesn't mean they cant be comparable to the situation. You are bringing a complete different topic to my thread than it was intended.