Adept Killer
So, I got a PS5 recently and decided to get dbd and just kinda make it a fun account. Do some achievements, have fun, yada yada yada. Obviously this also means I've been going for my adepts. I personally, after trying for so long believe that Adept Killer should be changed so that killers are only required to get a 4k. For a few reasons.
- Some killers can't take advantage of their powers doing adept (Example: Plague)
- Some perks also can't be taken advantage of when doing adepts (Example: Devour Hope, I seriously had to do Adept Hag 4 times even though I kept getting 4ks because of this perk, THIS WAS IN ASH RANKS)
- The ability to do adept changes the higher grade you are
Doing adepts shouldn't progressively be getting more difficult because you're playing the game. That makes 0 sense. You could do an adept survivor at the ash ranks or the iridescent ranks and it doesn't make doing adept survivor any harder. However, if you do Adept Killer at ash ranks you need either 1 silver and 3 iridescent emblems or 2 gold and 2 iridescent emblems, where as doing it in the iridescent ranks you need 4 iridescent emblems. Why should it matter if I'm an iri grade player or an ash grade player? I should be able to get my adepts without an increase in difficulty.
Simplifying it to a 4k would make it the same difficulty level across all grades and you can take advantage of powers/perks that you can't take advantage of or use as often as you'd like no matter when you do it.
Comments
This has always been a thorn in my side. I got Adept Spirit today, and on my first attempt, it failed because I got too much Haunted Grounds value and survivors didn't heal enough afterwards, so I didn't get enough 'chases' despite 11 hooks - but it still would have counted had I not been Iridescent rank, which currently measures nothing other than playtime. And as you say, some killers are not allowed to use their powers more than a few times and must play like a regular M1 killer to get the adept, and some perks cannot be used or they'll destroy your Chaser/Devout emblems. It's all very misbegotten and badly thought out.
However... they can't change it. One of the hosting platforms, I think one of the consoles, doesn't allow achievement requirements to be changed as long as the achievement is technically possible. This is why we're stuck with Left For Dead, Evil Incarnate, and consoles requiring 100 Skilled Huntress hits rather than 20. Killer adepts were on par with survivor adepts a long time ago because displeased/brutal/ruthless/merciless corresponded to kills, but the introduction of emblem score changed that while leaving the survivor version the same as originally intended.
I will never understand why whichever license holder is like that. (Especially when they had no problem changing the Stranger Things achievements when they were still possible to do for everyone. I know that was more of a special case though, but come on!)
I especially hate it now more than ever. With mmr it's like, one instance of getting too much value out of your perk/power or killing survivors too fast and you could be trying to correct that mistake to get to a point where you're even getting kills again all day.
The Stranger Things ones got changed because it was going to become truly impossible for new players to get them, which is the only situation they'll allow changes. Same with "Where did they go?", because a 4-man hatch escape is no longer possible. But god, I wish they'd do a pass for the edge cases. Left For Dead has become essentially impossible since endgame collapse became a thing, but you can still get it if a killer permits you to do it (granted, the stars have to align to get in that situation in the first place - 2.2k hours of gameplay, only ever repaired the last gen as the only survivor 4 times) or if you get doubly lucky with long-distance gates and having Wake Up and Spine Chill.
There is one benefit with MMR. While your average matches are going to be even worse, which makes getting 10+ hooks using only Shadowborn/Bloodhound/Predator or Gearhead/Dead Man's Switch/Retribution really damn dicey, a full red-to-ash rank reset will happen every month, so while it's still stupidly arbitrary how it works, you can designate a few days of the month to go for adepts before the rank pip requirements start biting you in the butt again. Adepts are much easier for the killers who suffer with Chaser emblems when you only need silver Chaser to make it work; the only still-troublesome killer is Hag, since you need her Third Seal and Devour Hope to get cleansed but want to keep Ruin (Third Seal causes solos to die on first hook, denying Devout and Chaser, and you know the issue with Devour Hope.)