Universal cross play?

Hello, I was just thinking about the bizzare and patchy situation concerning crossplay and realized something.


Every player, on every platform has a unique number BHVR assigns to that account. It's how they keep track of unlocks, cosmetics, etc. This number correlates to the pertinent data on their servers. Why precisely can it not be used as a universal login? I don't understand. The information is there, you'd think after registering it via email it could be used as a login across platforms. Somewhat bizzare.

Comments

  • Maybe they don't want people logging in with their unique identifier? It doesn't really matter why.

  • @YOURFRIEND said:

    Hello, I was just thinking about the bizzare and patchy situation concerning crossplay and realized something.

    Every player, on every platform has a unique number BHVR assigns to that account. It's how they keep track of unlocks, cosmetics, etc. This number correlates to the pertinent data on their servers. Why precisely can it not be used as a universal login? I don't understand. The information is there, you'd think after registering it via email it could be used as a login across platforms. Somewhat bizzare.

    Because the console manufacturers won't allow it other than the switch as far as I know and even that's not active yet, they don't want you to switch because it makes you leave their platform if you choose, let's say you buy all the dlcs on Sony and want to switch to Xbox, Sony doesn't want you leaving their platform and Microsoft wants the money for those dlcs you bought to have their chunk of the change because they get a cut for everything sold in their store, so if you just hop over and pick right up where you left off they're missing the sale of the game plus dlcs, but that's just my guess and it could be something unrelated but as far as I know it's due to the console manufacturers not wanting it to happen or at least that the answer we received when it was asked before , the rest about why is just my speculation that I feel makes the most sense

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/302089/universal-cross-play

    Because the console manufacturers won't allow it other than the switch as far as I know and even that's not active yet, they don't want you to switch because it makes you leave their platform if you choose, let's say you buy all the dlcs on Sony and want to switch to Xbox, Sony doesn't want you leaving their platform and Microsoft wants the money for those dlcs you bought to have their chunk of the change because they get a cut for everything sold in their store, so if you just hop over and pick right up where you left off they're missing the sale of the game plus dlcs, but that's just my guess and it could be something unrelated but as far as I know it's due to the console manufacturers not wanting it to happen or at least that the answer we received when it was asked before , the rest about why is just my speculation that I feel makes the most sense

    Ah, this makes sense. It's not that it's technically infeasible, just that each console wants their cut of the store. Thank you.