Rifts still have too many filler charms, and there's simple, obvious alternatives.
I know I'm far, far, from the only one who's sick of rifts being packed with 5 lots of recolours of 2 generic, generally awful charms. NOBODY chooses to use them, and if they did, nobody would ever be able to tell the difference between them in rarity.
https://i.imgur.com/30TWLvS.pngThey're honestly just garbage, and by this point, the people dumping them out after 5 minutes of work know it.
Point is, what makes me most irritated is that there's very simple options for generic filler charms that would be more interesting to most players, and may actually see use.
Back in tome 1, we received charms for Empathy and Technician, and since then we've seen 0 other perk charms. (Don't quote me on that, I have skipped a couple of tomes during breaks.)
https://i.imgur.com/3cjbXFX.pngThese similarly don't require a whole lot of effort to ceat. They all fit on the same diamond shaped frame, they all use designs that already exist in the game. Instead of receiving 5 different version of "have a random tent because Jake likes camping"
https://i.imgur.com/X7n9hE0.pngWe could replace at least 3 of those recolours with Iron Will, Calm Spirit and Saboteur. It would give players the option to show off their current perks that they like and maybe even represent the build they're currently using on the character, or just show appreciation to the character by equipping their own teachables. There could even be an interesting level of mindgaming where a killer may equip perks on their hooks to make survivors think they're in play when they aren't.
I'm not saying these would be groundbreaking, but I would kill for something a little more personalised and at the very least different from each other over the same rubbish we've had littered on us rift after rift. The fact that there's been continuous feedback that nobody enjoys getting this trash since the original rift and the process hasn't been changed in the slightest just shows complete bullheadedness, and an obvious attitude that as long as people are buying the rift for one outfit, most of what's in it doesn't have any sort of quality expectation.
Comments
You are right.
Its a shame that designers are being paid to create charms that nobody will ever equip. Most of us won't even look at them. Bloodpoints, Bloody Party Streamers, Iridescent shards or even an Auric Cell would be much more appreciated.
Very often on these forums I see ideas labelled as simple, obvious, and unambiguously good, when they don't meet some of that criteria and would actually be quite hard to implement.
This is not one of those ideas. This would actually be pretty cool! I'd definitely use some of these, even- not that I personally can afford to drop cash on the Rift, but hypothetically, I'd use them.
or just replace them with iri shards or bloodpoints.
I just never really cared much about charms either way. The only charms I personally use are the ones I earned for finishing Rift chapters since at least I feel like I did something to earn them. Not that charms look bad but… 🤷♂️ I never pay attention to them personally. So I do kind of wish there were something else alongside the current crops of charms in these rifts.
Overwatch has emotes and sound effects, something like that would be kind of cool for killers and survivors maybe? Earning a special emote or sound effect you can play during the match might be fun. Hook a survivor, do a little dance and move on for instance.
That's just straight up not what designers do. That's the game artists' job, and those two roles are not interchangeable.
Wow, designers don't give out bloodpoints or streamers. Who knew that? Well you put me in my place.
Im refering to the part where you said that designers are being paid to create charms.
The fact that we don't have alternative cosmetics for powers already makes me think they can't make certain cosmetics like that work, because something like that would be printing money at this point.