I'm starting to see to see just how crazy strong boons can be
I'm of two minds on this. On one hand I do agree that boons are too powerful. I played a solo survivor match the other day, and I was put on a team that like me - I kid you not - all had circle of healing. It was quite the wake-up call of just how powerful boons could be in the hands of a 4 man SWF. We were all fairly decent at looping, and while the killer was busy chasing, we sought out every totem there was and lit them which meant that almost the entire map had 100% healing speeds. What made it worse is that every time the killer snuffed one out, someone would just automatically relight it again, thus defeating the purpose of snuffing it out to begin with. The Killer did get one kill in the end, but the fact that we were able heal each other so fast at almost anywhere in the map prolonged the match to an insane 20 minutes!
Now all that being said, I think boons are a great component to the survivor gameplay. It gives survivors an optional objective, and it can definitely be a great team mechanic. However there definitely needs to be a cool down. It's kind of nutty that boons can be automatically relit right away. Personally I think there should be (at least) a 60 second cooldown once the killer has snuffed out your boon.
All of this just made me pondered what it would be like as the killer to play against a four-man SWF that all had every strong boon perk there was. If they're good at communication and looping, then that's going to be kind of crazy.
Comments
I like boons in the game. But killers need to have the option to break the totem or snuff it out. This way killers can have options to better control the map.
To help balance the boons, each of the boon perks out now just need split into multiple boon perks. COH should be either faster healing speed or self care (without boosted healing speed). Shadow Step should only hide scratch marks or aura, not both. Exponential has self pickup or faster recovering. If these skills apply to everyone in range of the boon, they shouldn't have multiple effects per perk.
Same could have been said for some sort of Killers, and still they got nerfed one week after release. Anyways, I like the Boon Totems very much on the Survivor Side. As a Killer, they can be annoying, but I don't think they are game breaking.
Someone who's never watched high level matches confirmed ^
I think it should take longer to light them each time they're snuffed. Say 4 seconds or so longer each time. So 16 seconds to light it, if the killer snuffs it out, it should take you 20 seconds to light it again. If they snuff it again it should take you 24 seconds to light it a third time. and so on.
boons need to have a count, 2 tokens and its gone. that allows each person to relight it once. i feel thats fair.
Make the killer able to destroy the totem instead of just snuffing it, we can't re activate a hex perk anyway so destroying it wouldn't be that bad of an idea...
I think that's perfectly reasonable. There needs to be something. Either tokens, a cooldown, longer relit times, etc. Unfortunately you can't just single out one boon by itself, so if one boom were to receive a nerf, then they would all have to receive it, and I see that being a tough pill to swallow for the devs/survivor mains.
Or add a cooldown to the amount of times you can use the boon, so that one just cant keep taking hits running off and healing.
I have seen people even defend medkits saying they are not a real issue with CoH.....I just want to smack them hard with a fresh fish for those comments.
It is truly hilarious that bones are proving to be more beneficial for survivors than killers. Hexes were implemented as something to help aid killers, but it's such high risk high reward that many players like myself don't use them. The first time ruin was cleansed 15 seconds into a match for me I stopped using it, and now because of boons survivors are seeking out totems more than ever now which means hexes are getting cleansed incredibly quickly.