Even without boons pentimento is a poor perk

Even if you discount boons making pentimento completely irrelevant it would still, and does, preform poorly. what I mean is while yes it is a cool perk and conceptually I love the idea, If the survivors find out you have it (which it is very obvious the minute you rekindle the first totem) They already broke the totem so they already know where it is and will make a b line for it (rightly so as it is strong) so unless you're going against a team of goldfish who immediately forget where the totem they broke was you don't get much use out of the perk. (I got the 5 tokens once because someone had counterforce, for some reason, and I had to spend 10 minutes practically showing the last totem, which was a hex:plaything of a long dead survivor in the match, and I had to act like I had suddenly forgotten how to chase the last two survivors. It was far too much work to get it done lol.)

Comments

  • @Trex_Crazy said:

    Even if you discount boons making pentimento completely irrelevant it would still, and does, preform poorly. what I mean is while yes it is a cool perk and conceptually I love the idea, If the survivors find out you have it (which it is very obvious the minute you rekindle the first totem) They already broke the totem so they already know where it is and will make a b line for it (rightly so as it is strong) so unless you're going against a team of goldfish who immediately forget where the totem they broke was you don't get much use out of the perk. (I got the 5 tokens once because someone had counterforce, for some reason, and I had to spend 10 minutes practically showing the last totem, which was a hex:plaything of a long dead survivor in the match, and I had to act like I had suddenly forgotten how to chase the last two survivors. It was far too much work to get it done lol.)

    You just stated yourself why it isn't bad. Someone going to snuff a totem isn't doing a gen.


    Now as for the rest, get creative. I have builds on these forums that make use of it and I bet if you try you can come up with a fvew perk combos, too. Remember it isn't an individual perk that makes a build.

  • I think it’s fine minus the fact that boons screw it over - if this were changed somehow then it’d be good.

    I think it’s actually best used if you only keep up one totem at a time and not have 2 or more so the gen slowdown periods don’t overlap, unless you actually have a shot to go for 5.

    For example:

    Scenario A: I rekindle one totem, and then rekindle a second totem 15 seconds later.

    Scenario B: I rekindle one totem, and then rekindle a second totem 90 seconds later.

    In both scenarios, both totems are cleansed 60 seconds after they were lit.

    Scenario A: 75 total seconds with a 30% gen debuff, and 45 total seconds with a 30% healing debuff, which is going on at the same time as the gen slowdown period, therefore, you’re not getting full value from both at the same time.

    Scenario B: 120 total seconds with a 30% gen debuff.

    See what I mean? Yes you lose the healing debuff, but the gen debuff is usually more important.

  • @FrndlyChnswSalzmn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/299012/even-without-boons-pentimento-is-a-poor-perk

    You just stated yourself why it isn't bad. Someone going to snuff a totem isn't doing a gen.

    Now as for the rest, get creative. I have builds on these forums that make use of it and I bet if you try you can come up with a fvew perk combos, too. Remember it isn't an individual perk that makes a build.

    Doing bones doesn't take long, when you already know where it is. It does work very well with plaything and thrill, however most of the time I use it, which is a lot because even though it hasn't been very useful I so want it to be, it gets cleansed like 10 seconds after I rekindle it making it not useful. The nice thing about hexes is when they're in some bizarre corner of the map, usually the swamp, where noone can find it. But with this they already know where it is (and if its a swf then everyone knows where it is bat that's its own issue)

  • Pentimento should be able to be used on dull/boon totems (but if it gets cleansed, the totem is gone forever), or freely reused on totems that the survivors nuked. You can add a 'charging' time to it, if you want.

  • @Trex_Crazy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685566#Comment_2685566

    Doing bones doesn't take long, when you already know where it is. It does work very well with plaything and thrill, however most of the time I use it, which is a lot because even though it hasn't been very useful I so want it to be, it gets cleansed like 10 seconds after I rekindle it making it not useful. The nice thing about hexes is when they're in some bizarre corner of the map, usually the swamp, where noone can find it. But with this they already know where it is (and if its a swf then everyone knows where it is bat that's its own issue)

    So you're saying that it's a bad perk and everything I said is wrong despite the fact that I'm using it right now and it's working? Amazing, I must be hallucinating. I guess after 3,800 hours I finally went off the deep end. To the mental hospital I go!



    That was sarcasm, by the way. Everything you said is ...not wrong, but you are undervaluing the time and risk it takes to potentially cross the map, not doing gens or other objectives, to search for a single totem and risk getting caught by the Killer while doing so. Any time Survivors aren't on gens is a net gain for the Killer.

  • @Adjatha said:

    Pentimento should be able to be used on dull/boon totems (but if it gets cleansed, the totem is gone forever), or freely reused on totems that the survivors nuked. You can add a 'charging' time to it, if you want.

    I agree with boons but I feel like if it was dull totems too I would just try to light every totem as the match starts to get permanent debuffs on survivors. (which as someone who mainly plays killer I have no issue with something broken in my favor however I don't think it would be a good Idea overall)

  • @FrndlyChnswSalzmn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685623#Comment_2685623

    So you're saying that it's a bad perk and everything I said is wrong despite the fact that I'm using it right now and it's working? Amazing, I must be hallucinating. I guess after 3,800 hours I finally went off the deep end. To the mental hospital I go!

    That was sarcasm, by the way. Everything you said is ...not wrong, but you are undervaluing the time and risk it takes to potentially cross the map, not doing gens or other objectives, to search for a single totem and risk getting caught by the Killer while doing so. Any time Survivors aren't on gens is a net gain for the Killer.

    I was actually worried you were serious with the top part lol, I was like dang what happened to this poor individual. I see your point but also raise you that 95% of survivors at high ranks aren't too concerned with the risk of being found by the killer. While I agree that I love having survivors off totems I just, personally as everyone has their own view, don't think it buys 'enough' time to be worth taking. I think a way to make it a time waster would to make it so you HAVE to cleanse the most recently rekindled totem and cleanse them in order while the other rekindled ones are blocked. While in solo q itd buy more time than swf they would have to rotate around the spots they were told by their friends to find the recent one. (Though I can foresee issues with that idea as well) I think even without boons it needs a little more ooomph in terms of being cleansed.

  • And I don't think its bad per se just nit that good.

  • @Trex_Crazy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685634#Comment_2685634

    I agree with boons but I feel like if it was dull totems too I would just try to light every totem as the match starts to get permanent debuffs on survivors. (which as someone who mainly plays killer I have no issue with something broken in my favor however I don't think it would be a good Idea overall)

    I mean, Trapper has to waste 2-3 generators worth of time picking up and setting traps. This is the same principle, except survivors can remove these forever.


  • @Trex_Crazy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685639#Comment_2685639

    I was actually worried you were serious with the top part lol, I was like dang what happened to this poor individual. I see your point but also raise you that 95% of survivors at high ranks aren't too concerned with the risk of being found by the killer. While I agree that I love having survivors off totems I just, personally as everyone has their own view, don't think it buys 'enough' time to be worth taking. I think a way to make it a time waster would to make it so you HAVE to cleanse the most recently rekindled totem and cleanse them in order while the other rekindled ones are blocked. While in solo q itd buy more time than swf they would have to rotate around the spots they were told by their friends to find the recent one. (Though I can foresee issues with that idea as well) I think even without boons it needs a little more ooomph in terms of being cleansed.

    If the survivors aren't concerned with you finding them you've identified the real problem - you're not a threat. Start being one. Don't worry, you'll get better with a few thousand hours under your belt and then you'll understand what I mean. Right now you don't want to learn because you're trying to win an argument and be right, but you'll come around when you have experience and figure out that wasting Survivor time is the second-best thing you can do aside from killing them.

  • @Adjatha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685641#Comment_2685641

    I mean, Trapper has to waste 2-3 generators worth of time picking up and setting traps. This is the same principle, except survivors can remove these forever.

    Trapper should definitely start with all his traps, or something going across the map to get them is an issue. Especially when they spawn outside of the trial lol.

  • @FrndlyChnswSalzmn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2685674#Comment_2685674

    If the survivors aren't concerned with you finding them you've identified the real problem - you're not a threat. Start being one. Don't worry, you'll get better with a few thousand hours under your belt and then you'll understand what I mean. Right now you don't want to learn because you're trying to win an argument and be right, but you'll come around when you have experience and figure out that wasting Survivor time is the second-best thing you can do aside from killing them.

    Uhhhhhhhhh ok? I've been playing this game from release lol. I have a few thousand hours under my belt. That was a little, to put it lightly, condescending. Just because I view the affects of a perk differently doesn't mean I am new to the game.