This game's matchmaking somehow still broken?
https://i.imgur.com/Cdwrlzj.png
This is my first match back in roughly, I'd say 8ish month. I mained survivor so I just played killer to try it out. And this is the first team i'm put up against? I was low-key hoping crazy situations like this wouldnt happen still. I got absolutely wrecked but flashlights and some kind of explosive thingy that made me go blind. I know this is just how dbd is. But if I was new to the game, I would be uninstalling and asking steam for a refund right now.
Comments
Truthfully, it doesn't look like you were matched against particularly strong survivors. Their grades indicate how much they've played this month, but those aren't ranks.
Two of the survivors you're against are using a mix of default perks and perks native to their characters or to default characters. This indicates they don't have much unlocked and so can't have been playing long - long enough to get rank 3 perks, but not long enough to unlock anything with shards. I'd consider the Iri 3 more dangerous than the bronze, because the bronze is running some really bad perks that experienced players would not use, but the fact that the Feng? is running Technician (which is very much a newbie perk) makes me headscratch. One only has two yellow perks and either just bought/prestiged a character or is new (but their score is quite low, so it doesn't look like they did much this match.)
Only the top player in this lineup, the one running two meta perks and two decent perks from different characters (one of which is paid DLC only), looks like they may be particularly experienced. He's the one who was throwing the explosive things at you - they're flashbangs, from Leon's perk. He gets them when he repairs gens and enters a locker, and he'll try to blind you either in chase or when you're picking someone up. You'll hear a sound when he drops it in front of you - what you need to do is look away and move away until you hear the explosion.
Overall this seems like a low-average team. MMR should probably start brand new killers lower and not just at 'average', but you weren't put against a god squad.
but the fact that they're running Technician (which is very much a newbie perk) makes me headscratch.
There's a challenge to complete 3 gens in a single match using technician.
It felt like a god squad when i played against them. But I understand what you're saying and it makes sense to me. It was an in the moment kind of thing where i was frustrated haha.
I do know that, but the fact that they're using all three of Feng's perks just seems kind of 'meh' to me, especially when the last perk is a global and not from another character.
It's possible they avoided unlocking Technician globally and are using Feng for this challenge because she's the only one that has it, and they have nothing else worth running on her, but the vibe I'm getting when looking at that particular lineup is that they play a lot but they haven't had the game long.
Totally understandable. Matches where you get completely stomped are soul-draining. One of the benefits of the old matchmaking system is that it had a zone for brand new players to either side that you couldn't derank into (it did put experienced players who hadn't played in months there as well, so it wasn't perfect), so inexperienced players pretty reliably got inexperienced players and it took a lot of games before you got out of it. SBMM needs something similar, because currently it sees one or two 4ks against noobs and it'll throw you in with the big boys.
TBH, Pyramid Head is one of the first killers I tried, and I don't think he's beginner-friendly at all; his power is strong, but the handling on it is really clunky and it relies on having very good prediction of survivor movements. When you're first learning killer, the best options are the ones that are mechanically simple, so you learn things like how to chase, how to effectively find survivors, and how to gauge successful hits without juggling advanced classes on top of that. Wraith, Doctor, and Huntress are all good choices - Bubba too if you have him.