Why Do People Dislike SBMM?

I know that it sometimes does weird things and pairs experts with newbies (and sometimes throws me to the multi-thousand-hour SWF monsters) - but compared to what this was like when I first started playing?

I'm having a much better time.

I started out mid last-year, when killers had zero matchmaking protections and 3 games out of 4 was either me up against a solid wall of red and purple or me vs a brown/yellow rank smurfing SWF with fancy skins.

It was miserable. I'm honestly surprised I stuck with it.

Now?

Barring the omnipresent DCs, maybe 3 out of 5 games is really good, 1 is a bit easy and 1 is really sweaty. I get to play a lot more chill, give the odd survivor (or sometimes two, if you've been fun) gate and fool around with silly perk combinations.

It's also better than it was even a month ago. Either BHVR have been tweaking things or people's MMRs are stabilizing.

Either way, while it's certainly not perfect - I'm having fun.

That said - I see a lot of negativity about SBMM. Is this just the standard 'I had a rough game and need to vent at something' videogame forum mindset? Or have people actually been having a worse time of it?

Genuinely curious.

Comments

  • Seeing the same 5/6 players over and over again gets really boring

    Anyone else have a similar experience? Where they keep seeing the same people over and over?

  • @DieGräfin said:

    I don't like SBMM because if you play in my region after 8 or 9 pm, the matchmaking throws you in every match. Most of the time with new players and new killers too. Or sometimes a killer with one perk (maybe a daily challenge)

    Sometimes with experienced survivors and the killer don't have any chance and that's not really fair.

    During this time there is no SBMM

    The old system works better after 8 or 9 pm.

    Same here. On the now-rare occasion that I suck it up and play killer during peak hours, there are so few killers that want to play against the large concentration of SWF sweat squads in the evening that I get matched with whoever. I usually end up dodging some of the lobbies because half the time I’ll load in to a full premade lobby who are already “ready” status because the previous killer also dodged their lobby.

    SBMM during off-peak hours is much better

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655991#Comment_2655991

    That's when I started.

    If I recall, it was because of long survivor queues at high ranks.

    It was a miserable experience for me, especially as a complete newbie.

    I looked at the your old posts and it seems like you missunderstood a Dev's comment about killer specific matchmaking (MMR) being disabled as the general killer matchmaking (emblem system) being disabled.

    The emblem system was supposed to search for a match within 6 ranks of your own and would expand with wait time, so I don't think that it was disabled, it just worked as badly as it always did.

    I've played since late 2017 and matchmaking for new killers (or new players in general) was always #########, so I'm not sure if MMR has really improved the situation, but since you can't see your MMR score it's hard to monitor it.

  • MMR won't bother you unless you play a lot. Killers reach high MMR too easily. Over the weekend I P3'd Nemesis from scratch. The game now considers me one of THE BEST KILLERS PLAYING. Seriously, none of you are so good you can't get matched with me, my 600 hours is equal to your thousands. Otz is my peer, according to MMR. We might collab.

    Yesterday I lost more than I've ever lost before, every match was neon survivors with brand new parts, meta perks and healing totems. I fought all-Bills with toolboxes, I fought all-Steves with high-end flashlights, I fought so many Neas and Megs, SWFs were everywhere. I fought a team that used exploits on Dead Dog, who acted like it was a great accomplishment to cheat against a player that probably couldn't catch them anyway. Actually, every survivor acted that way. Cheering after they dunk on me like the ######### survivors are.

    I got some kills, but it wasn't because of my skill, it was because of their mistakes. Apparently enough to keep me in the same weight class with the BEST PLAYERS IN THE GAME. Because that's where DBD places me, alongside and against THE BEST PLAYERS IN DBD!

    Guess I'll try to figure out how to start streaming, start some channels and #########. Be sure to like and subscribe, I'm one of the BEST KILLLERS IN THE GAME.

  • the system is much too easily exploitable. i'd much rather get 8 hooks and let everyone escape so i consistently get high amounts of bloodpoints every game than kill people and risk varying amounts of bp against better teams.

    the same goes for survivor. i can play my heart out up until endgame and just die to the collapse so my mmr goes down. that's not skill based matchmaking, that's cheesed based matchmaking.

  • When it first went live, it was great for me. Some really great and close matches.

    Now? I get curbstomped and curbstomp myself harder than ever before. There's nothing in between anymore. Like, a game I just had was a god nurse versus a claud with 13 hours.

    It just doesn't do anything anymore.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    If I have to answer your thread title, it's straight up people don't like to "sweat", we had a system for over 5 years where people could do the that good old "X winstreaks" you know. People had fun that way, a lot more than now. On this regard, I don't like this type of mindset where some people just cannot accept having similar or even stronger players in their game, but meh.

    Another thing that affects the negative feedback, some do not like how devs determine the rating based on escapes and kills, people wanted a more nuanced system.

    And even to add here, a third problem... I am not sure why it happens but sometime the matchmaking behaves extremely weird... even if you don't know your rating but good players are matched against weaker players. Now this could be a rating problem or something like this but I don't know. In general my assumption is people assume they are "great" players if they can loop well or pretty much "destroy" killers but they all die in each game, so this way the rating goes naturally down. Knowing you have to escape, you want to escape.

    I personally love the system, it's been working great for me; I still have some odd games at times but it's much better and I can feel that I'm challenged each game.

    Yes - but here's the thing.

    The winstreak was fun for the person winning.

    Not so much for the people getting stomped into the pavement.

  • Its the same thing that killed cod for me.

    I never get to see I am doing better, because I am constantly being put against better players. So it just feels like sweat mode 24/7


    Id love to see the numbers on killers dropping out. I know my survivor queues are much longer.

  • It makes killers tunnel and camp because 4 equally skilled survivors should always defeat an equally skilled killer, thus ruining the experience, bloodpoints, and overall enjoyment of everyone involved. They created this system and said "We know that basing it off of Escapes/Kills is terrible, so we have this poggers system" then proceeded to spend two years on a system that amounts to exactly what they said doesn't really work.

    It's just made the game unfun for me on both sides of the fence.

  • @Alphasoul05 said:

    It makes killers tunnel and camp because 4 equally skilled survivors should always defeat an equally skilled killer, thus ruining the experience, bloodpoints, and overall enjoyment of everyone involved. They created this system and said "We know that basing it off of Escapes/Kills is terrible, so we have this poggers system" then proceeded to spend two years on a system that amounts to exactly what they said doesn't really work.

    It's just made the game unfun for me on both sides of the fence.

    What?

    That's absurd.

    If 4 equally skilled survivors should always defeat an equally skilled killer, that would mean that this game was immensely survivor favored.

    What MMR should be doing, when it works correctly, is matching up killers with groups of survivors that they have an even chance of beating or being beaten by. Naturally, this is very difficult.

    The famous '2k per game' is often misinterpreted as 'killers should kill 2 survivors every game and 2 should escape'. I thought about it that way for a long time.

    What it actually means is that you should have as many 0-1 kill games as 3-4k games, as usually it's one of the two.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656822#Comment_2656822

    What?

    That's absurd.

    If 4 equally skilled survivors should always defeat an equally skilled killer, that would mean that this game was immensely survivor favored.

    What MMR should be doing, when it works correctly, is matching up killers with groups of survivors that they have an even chance of beating or being beaten by. Naturally, this is very difficult.

    The famous '2k per game' is often misinterpreted as 'killers should kill 2 survivors every game and 2 should escape'. I thought about it that way for a long time.

    What it actually means is that you should have as many 0-1 kill games as 3-4k games, as usually it's one of the two.

    And because of snowball effects, you're probably getting more 0-1 and 3-4 than 2k's, unless that's a super clutch play.

    Most 0-1k's don't feel very fun, as those are the matches that are most likely to be over with almost no hooks and really long chases. I'm not sure that's supposed to be fun for Survivors, given how non-interactive it is--are chases only fun if they're won?

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656853#Comment_2656853

    And because of snowball effects, you're probably getting more 0-1 and 3-4 than 2k's, unless that's a super clutch play.

    Most 0-1k's don't feel very fun, as those are the matches that are most likely to be over with almost no hooks and really long chases. I'm not sure that's supposed to be fun for Survivors, given how non-interactive it is--are chases only fun if they're won?

    Yes. I've actually been putting together a theory on this based on what Otz and a few others have said, and my own experiences.

    I call it 'the Rule of 3'.

    If you have a survivor dead before 3 gens are completed, it's almost always going to be your game to lose. Probably a 3-4k.

    If you have no survivors dead before 3 gens are completed, it's their game to lose. Probably a 0-1k.

    That's the snowball/escalating pressure of DbD.

    The thing that MMR has done is give people used to significantly more of the former than the latter on the killer end of things (and vice versa) less matches against people of a way lower skill than them, meaning a loss will probably happen half the time.

1 2 ›