It's kind of interesting and sad at the same time...
It's kind of interesting and sad at the same time, that both survivors and killers post chat complain and tell the others how to play and how they played was this and that - basically what in their view, is wrong. But here is the thing, so many are so quick to judge others but they themselves play in a way that could be critiqued. It's up to each player to decide how to play, as long as they don't break any rules and abuse exploits in the game. What this comes down to, is when people feel that their opponent somehow played unfairly.
The game is what it is, and if it can be done in the game, then people will have to deal with it, at least until it's changed. The killer is supposed to kill, whatever means are necessary to achieve it, in the end, it's at the expense of something else. The survivors are supposed to escape by whatever means necessary.
Is that how it's supposed to be? As long as players can do so in game, then it must be. The way I see it, unless there is actual rules that can be adjudicated and enforced correctly by the game, then I don't see it could be any other way. Mainly because unless the rules are game mechanical rules, then the rules of the game is nothing more than a social construct. And here is the thing, when one side complains about the opposing side's play, it's to achieve a form of control that makes it more difficult and limits their opponents options during play, so that when others, including themselves, plays against this player - a form of control that makes it easier for that side to win.
Let me give you an example.
Many expect the killer to not tunnel, camp, slug, respect the 4%, etc. while they expect the killer to switch to a different target after successfully having hit a survivor, and if the player doesn't do whats expected, then he/she is definitely going to be told post game. It's possibly also a matter players have a sense of entitlement. In many cases the word "expect" can be replaced with "want". Same goes for killer players with regards to survivors not looping, body blocking and teabagging - in other words - what both sides really want is - FAIR PLAY & Good Sportsmanship. But this game doesn't reward the players for it, and even worse, it in a way actually encourages using whatever means necessary that will ensure victory. For some, it's not the victory that matters, but the stress, frustration and humiliation it causes in the oposing player - which is quite sad.
Comments
wait, people expect you to just leave once you hit them?
I've heard some complain about that before, guess it's that sense of entitlement some survivors have.
What I wrote in the original post are also just examples, I'm sure there are so many more examples of odd things players complain about the other side does. It's understandable enough that people want to complain after match, but telling how the other should play because they felt they had a bad game because of it, just isn't right.
uh, yeah. that's like complaining about doc or legion.
That's also kind of an example, "we don't like Killer#1 or Killer#2, "You shouldn't play that killer, you should play XYZ-Killer..".
I don't think it's a problem that can be solved, because it's human emotion that's at play here, but it would be nice if BHVR would actually try to address the problem by trying to enlighten people.
I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion. Do I think a killer is pretty beta for tunneling me with No Mither and face camping my Slippery Meat attempts? Yes. Am I entitled to believe that, yes. The problem is I should just keep it to myself because I chose those perks and just because they were super desperate doesn't really give me the right to abuse them in chat or whatever.
I can only speak for myself, obviously, but unless the survivors are already insulting me when I get to chat I usually say "gg" and something like "close match, I almost got you there" or "Nice, you almost got out there". Worst case if the team was just teabagging and taunting all game I just don't say anything in chat. The only people I insult in chat are ones who are calling me names or whatever first.
If you figure that if you divided people up into a scale of general rudeness, and they follow a typical bell curve, then about 10% of people are jerks on the low tail end of that curve. And as a killer you're playing against 4 other people at a time, so if you one out of ten of those people is an ######### then it should be surprising that every two or three games you get that type of person harassing you after the match, calling you "trash" or "loser" or whatever if they win (or sometimes if they don't), and "lame" or "cheap" or whatever if they lose. Given how many people you face in the course of 3 matches it's not that surprising you get jerky remarks.
Anyway, not much to really be done about it unfortunately, other than shrug and move on. At least on the flip side I do also get every few matches into a nice short conversation with one of the survivors who's on the upper end of that curve. ๐
Yeah, I do something similar, but often if they're begin telling me how to play, I usually respond with something like "Oh, so I should just have rolled over and given you the win? Because that's basically what you're saying" or "So you think you should tell me how to and not play, guess I should also tell you how not to play and to play!" Often get from some survivors in the group, that "You know, killer is actually right!".
I literally had one not too long ago who told me how to play against survivors when being a streamer, because as a streamer it's apparently expected when you play as a killer you have to go easy on the survivors, you may not camp, nor tunnel, have to respect the 4%, always give hatch, if any one dc'ed let survivors win. All of these expectations has been there literally since almost like the release of the game, and back then the chat was a lot more toxic than it is now. A now ex-girlfriend of mine who used to play the the game a lot started receiving a lot of death threats in game chat, which is just insane that there are those people who're that bad at being a sore loser. Guess there are some people who really that twisted in the head and shouldn't be playing.
There definitely is some kind of expectation as to how a killer should be playing, and that expectation is further cultivated when there are actually killers who try to conform to those expectations, doesn't matter whether or not they're a streamer, but definitely doesn't make it any better.
It used to be that all 5 players could 'win' under the Emblem system or scoring matches.
Its clear that the killer was supposed to kill and the survivors were supposed to die, and all 5 players could rank up even if everyone died, as long as they played according to the Emblem system.
Over time the win condition has changed for the worse (imo) to be this kills vs escapes which encourages the tactics players hate.
Valuing kills over hooks means camping and tunneling are simply more effective ways to raise MMR; its backwards logic that a killer who hooks everyone twice (8 hooks) loses MMR while a killer who camps someone on first hook will raise MMR (1 kill).
Same for survivors, valuing escape and nothing else encourages solo players to play selfishly and I often see (with Kindred etc) players crouched the opposite corner of the map (nowhere near the terror radius), and no one going anywhere near a gen; because it doesn't matter how many gens you do or how many get done while you loop the killer for 10m minutes - if you don't escape you 'lose' and go down in MMR where someone who hides and does nothing all game will raise MMR if they manage to open and exit when the hatch is closed, its awful on both sides.
Why take any risk if its not rewarded? Why touch a gen when you can escape without doing one and thats what the game cares about? Why chase and hook multiple survivors when camping 1 or 2 will be rewarded more in the MMR system? Why risk going on a gen if theres no reward? Why leave the hook if theres no reward?
Current system just makes no sense and encourages more bad behavior than the challenges that cause people to throw games in pursuit of them.
I've never gotten anything as serious as death threats, I've been insulted though. I've also had survivors say pretty ridiculous things, like:
Fortunately this isn't every match, but there's definitely some moronic sore losers out there.
P.S. It might sound like I'm trying to imply I get 3-4k all the time. I do get them but I also get 0-1 kills too, mostly when I'm swinging like a blind person. My old person reflexes just aint what they used to be against these whippersnappers and their jukes!
I've had some bad messages and some good ones
I'm an average Killer, and below average Survivor
I've slowly gotten over those players who are toxic for no reason... And I'm not toxic to others (anymore... I've deleted those messages cause the whole conversation was toxic and I don't want to see those... plus I like to keep my messages "up to date" so if it's been awhile since the last message was wrote then it's probably gone by now... P.S. I play on console...Xbox to be specific)
I literally had a match here the other day where there was one dead, they had finished all gens, I had one on hook just close to the exit and one downed right before it. So obviously the most efficient and tactically beneficial for me, was to guard the hook and the downed the survivor aKA I made camp. The one who were the most sore wasn't even among the two who were disabled, but it was the last standing survivor, who literally could've walked away and escaped. I hadn't tunneled or camped anyone before that point in the match, plus I think it's relevant to mention, that all of them were playing "unfair" abusing every mechanic they could get a way, so I did expect that they were going to be toxic in chat, but it was only that one sore loser who caused a fuss, spouting a lot of crap about me being a terrible trash killer, I could only win by camping and tunneling, I should just uninstall the game, that I'm a loser, and bunch other [BAD WORDS]. Yes, he got reported.
Specifically with this situation, it's not like they actually couldn't have recovered from it, the downed survivor could've crawled away, forcing me to actually either camp or leave. Sure I could've just gone after the last standing survivor, but he had BT and DH, so really no point in risking they actually recover from it.
I also think that it to some degree it depends why you play and if you're casual player or a competitive player, because everyone's idea of fun is different, but especially casual vs competitive player is a sure clash.