Why I left (even though I really want to come back)

Hello everyone, I hope you’re all having a nice day

i don’t think my general distaste for the current state of DBD is a secret, but in case you somehow don’t know, I am very ######### distasteful of what DBD is like currently

i know from the title you are probably expecting a generic “I had a bad match, therefore I’m quitting forever, even though I will be playing the game literally the next day” post, but I assure you, it isn’t, to give you a idea of how long I’ve been on break, I recently checked my Steam page and looked at when I last started DBD up, want to know when that was?

September 18th, nearly 2 months ago, though honestly it genuinely feels like I’ve been gone a lot longer then that, and the reasons I made the decision to leave are not very numerous, but they’re more then enough for me


1.Burnout: DBD is the first game I played that I put over 1500 hours into, and all things considered I’m impressed I kept playing that long, because the fatigue started setting in around hour 1000, I had done everything I wanted to do with the game at that point, I played Killer, I played Survivor, I saw how high I could push myself up the ranks before my distaste for sweat stopped me, I memed, I tried my hardest, I did all of that.

But you know what really burnt me out? The Tomes and BHVR’s very warped idea of what a “challenge” is

I don’t know if the more recent Trickster tome finally ######### fixed this problem, but for some goddamned reason all of the tomes have at least 4 different missions that require a act of divine intervention to complete, I was willing to forgive Tome 1 for some of the utter bullshit it expects from you since that was the first one, you know what I don’t forgive? Not learning that making challenges that are RNG messes/require the opposite side to play along and let you complete them is a stupid ######### idea! And you want to know the worst thing? I actively forced myself to do them out of some bizarre need to see all of the pages stamped with the 100% mark, for some damn reason, and I did completed every time except the Trickster one and the one before that, I actively got on just to do some of these, and it was pretty much never ######### worth it (200K BP for things like Heroic Cause already wouldn’t be worth it, but 50K? Get out of here with that), it made me miserable, I like a challenge when the challenge is fair, I don’t mind it when a challenge is difficult, but I will be very quick to call BS when a challenge is very clearly designed to just waste your time praying that God will give you the perfect storm of circumstances in order to complete it

2.For some reason all of my mains are getting shafted: Between Demo’s removal, Pinhead’s NFT controversy, Trickster’s gutting that fixed exactly zero problems instead made said problems worse and Deathslinger’s recent nerfs that were just flat out overkill, it legit feels like all of my mains are cursed to some ill-fate, not exactly a great way to keep me invested if all of the things I find fun get made much less fun for what legit feels like no reason

3.MMR: It is no secret that I ######### hate this system, I don’t even think it’s a secret that most of us here hate MMR, but I feel this question needs to be reiterated.

BHVR, why, in the name of God, would you add a system that has been proven several times to make a game worse, a system that most of your player base actively told you wouldn’t work, a system that by default requires a game to be balanced and competitively oriented, which DBD isn’t and has never been, a system that you tested on 4 separate occasions and it crashed and ######### burned every single time, to this game? Just, why? What was the point?

Not only did you add a system that only caters to the people you don’t even design the game around (competitive tryhards) even though most of us flashed a giant neon sign that read “This isn’t going to work, stop trying”, but you added a system that doesn’t even work and only takes in the bare minimum, in what universe did you think a MMR system that only takes in kills and escapes would be a good idea? Camping someone to death with NOED and then failing to kill anyone else, according to the system, is more “skilful” then getting 8 hooks and no kills with no perks because you didn’t kill anyone, conversely, the Claudette that just hid in the corner and did exactly ######### all the entire match and escaped with a key is somehow more skilled then the Jake that did a gen, saved someone 4 times and kept the killer busy for 2 minutes because the Jake ended up dying

BHVR wasted 2 years of their time developing a half-assed broken mess of a system that doesn’t even do what it’s meant to do correctly, speaking of which…

4, and likely the thing that is most likely going to land me in some hot water, BHVR itself: I am not making this section to directly attack anyone at or working for BHVR, I am sure many of them are lovely people, and I also know that many of them do not have a say in the direction the game is being taken, but I do think it needs to be said, BHVR are going down a extremely bumpy road in a car currently held together by scotch tape and glue and is likely going to catch fire at any minute, and they’re taking DBD with it.

You guys struck gold with DBD, none of the people who have bought, played, and enjoyed the game over the last 5, now nearly 6, years the game has been out are going to deny that, which is why the current state of the game really leaves a sour taste in my mouth, I am willing to forgive a lot of mistake the company makes, and BHVR is one of the few large gaming companies I know of that not only does not Crunch it’s employees, but also treats them extremely well, you guys deserve a lot of credit for that given the working conditions at some other corporations.

But at the same time, BHVR is not a small studio, it is not 5 guys in a shack in the middle of nowhere, it is a large corporation of 850 employees that makes 124 million dollars a year, there is zero excuse for the current state of the game

Nurse is still a broken mess after her rework

Things like Spirit and certain perks take forever to get tweaked in any meaningful way

Patches release containing at least 15 different issues, ranging from minor to rendering the game unplayable

Bug fix patches at most fix about 10 bugs and take a month and a half to be implemented

I know many of these issues come from the fact that the game’s code would make the average plate of spaghetti give up, but lack of communication with the player base (I will admit we are kind of responsible for that, but still) constantly ignoring Fog Whisperers and treating them more like glorified PR reps, and the more recent NFT controversy are not related to the code at all

please, for the love of god BHVR, communicate with us, give us at least something more then a forum post showing what’s getting added and telling us “you’ll get it and you’ll like it”, stop ignoring the people who pore thousands of hours into this game because you think you know better, who cares if some actual child yells at you? The majority of the player base will be a lot more understanding and forgiving of what you are doing with the game if you tell us what you want to add and ask us if we think it will work, there are so many talented and creative minds in the “Creations” section alone, so many discussions amongst the forums, so much passion, and it genuinely sucks to see exactly zero response 99% of the time

and please, for ######### sake, tell us if you want this game to be a casual party game that’s made intentionally unbalanced, or a competitive game that is balanced, because at the minute it looks like you’re trying to do both and that never goddamn works


so yeah, these are the reasons why I haven’t touched the game at all, between my mains getting progressively nerfed, the mess that is MMR, burnout and BHVR’s repeated ######### ups, I don’t see myself coming back any time soon, which sucks, because I genuinely like the game, it’s the Smash Bro’s Ultimate of horror icons, no other game out there let’s you play as Freddy Kruger and stab Laurie Strode in the Gideon Meat Plant from Saw

i really do want to come back, and I will continue to be active on the forums (if this post doesn’t get me banned, which it might), but until some of the issues with the game get fixed and some company priorities get changed, I’m not going to

have a good evening wherever you are everyone, later

Comments

  • I understand how you feel, though not for the same reasons.

  • You wrote all the frustration and sadness that a large percentage of the playerbase have been feeling for months and maybe years.

    I hope you stay around and play sometime.. BHVR lost so many loyal players..

    Take care.

  • I'm burnt also....really wish the devs would add more to this game. You dont have to get rid of any of the current stuff, just add more objectives or something!

  • @Slaughterhouse3 said:

    I'm burnt also....really wish the devs would add more to this game. You dont have to get rid of any of the current stuff, just add more objectives or something!

    More practice modes would be nice.

  • I haven't left yet, but after 4 years, I realized, I played once last week.

    My time is drawing near. It has been a fun ride tho.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2622705#Comment_2622705

    Yes. I would love more advanced practice modes. Personally im even not sick of the game. Im sick of the playerbase and how BHVR does basically nothing for it. It's not fun winning as killer only for people to harass you in endgame chat and it's not fun losing in general but in DBD you get made to feel like you're a horrible person just for trying to have fun. Yes you can turn off communications but it doesn't change the fact that the survivors are controlled by real people.

    That’s why I want practice modes, and I don’t care if they award points or not. I would switch to practice to like Decompress after a very rough game.

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    Hello everyone, I hope you’re all having a nice day

    i don’t think my general distaste for the current state of DBD is a secret, but in case you somehow don’t know, I am very ######### distasteful of what DBD is like currently

    i know from the title you are probably expecting a generic “I had a bad match, therefore I’m quitting forever, even though I will be playing the game literally the next day” post, but I assure you, it isn’t, to give you a idea of how long I’ve been on break, I recently checked my Steam page and looked at when I last started DBD up, want to know when that was?

    September 18th, nearly 2 months ago, though honestly it genuinely feels like I’ve been gone a lot longer then that, and the reasons I made the decision to leave are not very numerous, but they’re more then enough for me

    1.Burnout: DBD is the first game I played that I put over 1500 hours into, and all things considered I’m impressed I kept playing that long, because the fatigue started setting in around hour 1000, I had done everything I wanted to do with the game at that point, I played Killer, I played Survivor, I saw how high I could push myself up the ranks before my distaste for sweat stopped me, I memed, I tried my hardest, I did all of that.

    But you know what really burnt me out? The Tomes and BHVR’s very warped idea of what a “challenge” is

    I don’t know if the more recent Trickster tome finally ######### fixed this problem, but for some goddamned reason all of the tomes have at least 4 different missions that require a act of divine intervention to complete, I was willing to forgive Tome 1 for some of the utter bullshit it expects from you since that was the first one, you know what I don’t forgive? Not learning that making challenges that are RNG messes/require the opposite side to play along and let you complete them is a stupid ######### idea! And you want to know the worst thing? I actively forced myself to do them out of some bizarre need to see all of the pages stamped with the 100% mark, for some damn reason, and I did completed every time except the Trickster one and the one before that, I actively got on just to do some of these, and it was pretty much never ######### worth it (200K BP for things like Heroic Cause already wouldn’t be worth it, but 50K? Get out of here with that), it made me miserable, I like a challenge when the challenge is fair, I don’t mind it when a challenge is difficult, but I will be very quick to call BS when a challenge is very clearly designed to just waste your time praying that God will give you the perfect storm of circumstances in order to complete it

    2.For some reason all of my mains are getting shafted: Between Demo’s removal, Pinhead’s NFT controversy, Trickster’s gutting that fixed exactly zero problems instead made said problems worse and Deathslinger’s recent nerfs that were just flat out overkill, it legit feels like all of my mains are cursed to some ill-fate, not exactly a great way to keep me invested if all of the things I find fun get made much less fun for what legit feels like no reason

    3.MMR: It is no secret that I ######### hate this system, I don’t even think it’s a secret that most of us here hate MMR, but I feel this question needs to be reiterated.

    BHVR, why, in the name of God, would you add a system that has been proven several times to make a game worse, a system that most of your player base actively told you wouldn’t work, a system that by default requires a game to be balanced and competitively oriented, which DBD isn’t and has never been, a system that you tested on 4 separate occasions and it crashed and ######### burned every single time, to this game? Just, why? What was the point?

    Not only did you add a system that only caters to the people you don’t even design the game around (competitive tryhards) even though most of us flashed a giant neon sign that read “This isn’t going to work, stop trying”, but you added a system that doesn’t even work and only takes in the bare minimum, in what universe did you think a MMR system that only takes in kills and escapes would be a good idea? Camping someone to death with NOED and then failing to kill anyone else, according to the system, is more “skilful” then getting 8 hooks and no kills with no perks because you didn’t kill anyone, conversely, the Claudette that just hid in the corner and did exactly ######### all the entire match and escaped with a key is somehow more skilled then the Jake that did a gen, saved someone 4 times and kept the killer busy for 2 minutes because the Jake ended up dying

    BHVR wasted 2 years of their time developing a half-assed broken mess of a system that doesn’t even do what it’s meant to do correctly, speaking of which…

    4, and likely the thing that is most likely going to land me in some hot water, BHVR itself: I am not making this section to directly attack anyone at or working for BHVR, I am sure many of them are lovely people, and I also know that many of them do not have a say in the direction the game is being taken, but I do think it needs to be said, BHVR are going down a extremely bumpy road in a car currently held together by scotch tape and glue and is likely going to catch fire at any minute, and they’re taking DBD with it.

    You guys struck gold with DBD, none of the people who have bought, played, and enjoyed the game over the last 5, now nearly 6, years the game has been out are going to deny that, which is why the current state of the game really leaves a sour taste in my mouth, I am willing to forgive a lot of mistake the company makes, and BHVR is one of the few large gaming companies I know of that not only does not Crunch it’s employees, but also treats them extremely well, you guys deserve a lot of credit for that given the working conditions at some other corporations.

    But at the same time, BHVR is not a small studio, it is not 5 guys in a shack in the middle of nowhere, it is a large corporation of 850 employees that makes 124 million dollars a year, there is zero excuse for the current state of the game

    Nurse is still a broken mess after her rework

    Things like Spirit and certain perks take forever to get tweaked in any meaningful way

    Patches release containing at least 15 different issues, ranging from minor to rendering the game unplayable

    Bug fix patches at most fix about 10 bugs and take a month and a half to be implemented

    I know many of these issues come from the fact that the game’s code would make the average plate of spaghetti give up, but lack of communication with the player base (I will admit we are kind of responsible for that, but still) constantly ignoring Fog Whisperers and treating them more like glorified PR reps, and the more recent NFT controversy are not related to the code at all

    please, for the love of god BHVR, communicate with us, give us at least something more then a forum post showing what’s getting added and telling us “you’ll get it and you’ll like it”, stop ignoring the people who pore thousands of hours into this game because you think you know better, who cares if some actual child yells at you? The majority of the player base will be a lot more understanding and forgiving of what you are doing with the game if you tell us what you want to add and ask us if we think it will work, there are so many talented and creative minds in the “Creations” section alone, so many discussions amongst the forums, so much passion, and it genuinely sucks to see exactly zero response 99% of the time

    and please, for ######### sake, tell us if you want this game to be a casual party game that’s made intentionally unbalanced, or a competitive game that is balanced, because at the minute it looks like you’re trying to do both and that never goddamn works

    so yeah, these are the reasons why I haven’t touched the game at all, between my mains getting progressively nerfed, the mess that is MMR, burnout and BHVR’s repeated ######### ups, I don’t see myself coming back any time soon, which sucks, because I genuinely like the game, it’s the Smash Bro’s Ultimate of horror icons, no other game out there let’s you play as Freddy Kruger and stab Laurie Strode in the Gideon Meat Plant from Saw

    i really do want to come back, and I will continue to be active on the forums (if this post doesn’t get me banned, which it might), but until some of the issues with the game get fixed and some company priorities get changed, I’m not going to

    have a good evening wherever you are everyone, later

    Quite understandable, and I have been there myself a good amount of times, stopped playing then returned some months later only to realize after a while why I stopped playing then stop playing the game again for a while, and it's for many of the reasons you just stated. BHVR really doesn't deserve the playerbase they have, because they obviously don't care enough about the game and the players to actually listen and fix issues, not even do they take mod abuse seriously or will apologize to the ones who've been subjected to mod abuse. There are just so many things wrong.

    Take care.

  • Been playing since 1.0.0 with over 3.3K hours, never been this done with the game, barely playing anymore....I feel the exact same way you do