As a Survivor/Killer player, I don't really understand some of the design decisions
Hello all,
Some info before I get to the actual post: First time signing up and posting to the forums. I've been playing since the beginning of the game. I put in enough time each month that I'm able to hit red rank on survivor and killer each month (just takes time...not skill).
The game has always been survivor sided and that makes sense. BHVR wants the lobbies to fill up fast so we need more survivors and people will naturally gravitate to what is easier, but it's become too much of a problem. I enjoy killer more due to the skill level needed, but I think they've leaned too far to the survivor side. There are times when there is literally nothing I can do. On twins, it's currently impossible at my high mmr. Dead hard is a nightmare now and boon totems have made it where you can't play the Twins how they are meant to be played (with Charlotte getting first hit and then victor finishing.) By the time I get over to the down survivor the survivor has been picked up and fully healed. I've currently had to resort to just playing Plague to get past the healing (I don't enjoy playing Spirit or Nurse currently). And I can't even enjoy playing survivor right now because there is no killer that is an actual challenge due to all the safety perks you can run.
A quick aside about generator speed. I've noticed while playing survivor I can just sit on generators until the last minute, which is just a nightmare for most killers. Especially the straight m1 killers you can just run them all day. I think the generators default time to fix needs to be upped a bit by about 10 seconds. That's just my current guess. It may be a tad too much.
Honestly, at this point I'm not sure what could be done to get the game back in balance yet. Probably taking the dead hard hit validation back, and I'm not sure the Boons are the problem even though they are annoying. Maybe med kits being taken away or heavily nerfed. I'm really not sure.
Comments
I feel your pain. Even for intermediate players like me, it's tough right now.
Boons are a problem, as they hard counter attrition-based killers like Twins, Wraith, Hag and co. CoH in particular needs a tweak, and boons should go on cooldown once you've snuffed one (and once you've blessed a specific totem, you should not be able to bless the same totem again). As it stands, trying to find and snuff the thing often feels worse than letting it stand, as by the time you've located it you've basically given everyone free time.
I've started playing around it somewhat, either via massive pressure builds (Plaything+Retribution+LP+Deadlock is my favorite) or instadown builds (DH+NOED+NWO+Ruin, and yes I feel dirty running that).
Very curious to see the patch notes, but I have a feeling it's going to be a nerf to some killers/addons and that's it.
You're right about killer needing more skill. Survivor is mostly game knowledge. If I'm not losing all the time as survivor, which I am a lot right now, the game is just kind of easy and boring.
They need to revert hit validation period. Or at least add vault validation to be consistent and make it clear they don't care.
That wouldn't be a solution. They need to nerf tiles and map size. Why am I able to run the killer forever on some maps if they decide to chase me?
I don't know how is this acceptable design tbh. Only viable killers can deal with it and the rest can pray for weak links and outpositioned people while gens pop left and right.
I really feel sorry for anyone playing killer after sbmm. It is even miserable watching streamers do it.
I never thought I would change my mind and I was always a person who thought both sides are equally effed. Not anymore when I saw how decent teammates change the game completely in my favour.
When people don't mess around and all of them try to win, you don't even need comms to be a big threat to most killers.
I probably never realised how much survivors mess around in general and throw games. Which is probably one of the reasons kill rate is higher than it should be.