Why Do Survivors Always Do This?

So, as I gradually get better (now at a point where I'll happily call myself 'intermediate') I'm starting to notice some weird idiosyncrasies with how survivors play.

The one that completely baffles me though is that, when I go to hook someone, there is another survivor who immediately crouches down by the hook. All that happens is that I hit them, I hang and then I usually chase them down and hook them next.

Aside from situations where maybe a second or two of extra time will cause me to drop someone, all that's happening is that you're giving me a free hit.

Similarly, whenever I try to play survivor, there is always someone who either tries this - or simply lurks around the hook in full view of the killer, and usually gets taken down next.

Am I totally misunderstanding some weird quirk of the game here? I'm not seeing any benefits to doing this.

Comments

  • I mean yes if you see them then it seems dumb from your perspective.

    Just as it seems dumb that if the killer picks up a survivor in a pallet and you pallet save then as survivor.


    Some moments do look very goofy and silly from one's other perspective but think that way. If that works and you didnt saw the survivor and would leave the hook they could immidiatly go for the unhook once you are out of range. Idk for me this sounds very logic that would save alot of time?

  • @BenZ0 said:

    I mean yes if you see them then it seems dumb from your perspective.

    Just as it seems dumb that if the killer picks up a survivor in a pallet and you pallet save then as survivor.

    Some moments do look very goofy and silly from one's other perspective but think that way. If that works and you didnt saw the survivor and would leave the hook they could immidiatly go for the unhook once you are out of range. Idk for me this sounds very logic that would save alot of time?

    I don't follow.

    Pallet saves work, or they don't work.

    The crouch/body block...I don't see how that would ever work, unless the killer is blind.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2588090#Comment_2588090

    I don't follow.

    Pallet saves work, or they don't work.

    The crouch/body block...I don't see how that would ever work, unless the killer is blind.

    I managed to to save like that some teammates with that move by hiding right out of their FOV or bodyblocking enough to let them wiggle off. That even works on higher skilled killers sometimes, not always but sometimes.

  • @Dumpstick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/289863/why-do-survivors-always-do-this

    They might be fishing for protection hits. A hit while carrying a survivor always results in a protection hit event. There are three main reasons you want protection hits:

    1. To get WGLF tokens
    2. To finish a Tome Quest
    3. To activate Mettle of Man.

    Yes, I was wondering if it was a PH thing - in which case...okay? But you're probably going to get downed next.

    I was also wondering if the 'near a hook' penalty applies. Still don't understand how that works.

    @Dumpstick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2588090#Comment_2588090

    For the benefit of the OP, the proper way to do that trick is not to crouch, but just to walk calmly behind the killer, then walk into their blind spot after they hook (they will usually face back away from whoever they hooked, so you just need to slip into that side. This is especially easy to do in the basement, as you can easily predict what direction they will turn to go back up the stairs. It is one of the ways to get into the basement save position quickly without the killer realizing you are there. You go down the basement ahead of time, hide behind the stairwell wall, then walk into their blind spot then over to the back as they turn around. Works every time. Then you wait for the TR to disappear, or wait for someone else to get chased, then do the unhook.

    I don't camp as a rule, so I don't mind people going for a save (hell, if you've been nice and I haven't been trounced that game, I'll probably stay clear until you are both away).

    This is more the 'crouch by the hook so killer can't hook' thing, which usually just gets you smacked.

  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2588094#Comment_2588094

    I managed to to save like that some teammates with that move by hiding right out of their FOV or bodyblocking enough to let them wiggle off. That even works on higher skilled killers sometimes, not always but sometimes.

    Interesting. I think it worked on me the literal first time I saw that, and after - unless I'm stretched for time on the hook - I'll probably just swing the second I can't hook.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2588098#Comment_2588098

    Interesting. I think it worked on me the literal first time I saw that, and after - unless I'm stretched for time on the hook - I'll probably just swing the second I can't hook.

    Ye I get ya :D Same with flash light saves, if that happens to you once you get more cautious so the chances of that happening to you are drasticly decreased. Its a thing of expecting or not you know.

  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2588131#Comment_2588131

    Ye I get ya :D Same with flash light saves, if that happens to you once you get more cautious so the chances of that happening to you are drasticly decreased. Its a thing of expecting or not you know.

    Ate a flashy save today for the first time in months. Still have no idea how it happened. Looked down and away the second I saw the light at the edge of my vision, still got stunned. Either a subtle hacker, weird latency or the flashlight equivalent of a magic bullet.

  • @StarLost said:

    So, as I gradually get better (now at a point where I'll happily call myself 'intermediate') I'm starting to notice some weird idiosyncrasies with how survivors play.

    The one that completely baffles me though is that, when I go to hook someone, there is another survivor who immediately crouches down by the hook. All that happens is that I hit them, I hang and then I usually chase them down and hook them next.

    Aside from situations where maybe a second or two of extra time will cause me to drop someone, all that's happening is that you're giving me a free hit.

    Similarly, whenever I try to play survivor, there is always someone who either tries this - or simply lurks around the hook in full view of the killer, and usually gets taken down next.

    Am I totally misunderstanding some weird quirk of the game here? I'm not seeing any benefits to doing this.

    I'm always packing kindred so I get to watch these little shows and as stated above, it's a trick they are trying to perform but....it's hardly ever effective. If they do get them down, the killer is usually barely 2 feet away, half the time the hook saver is injured and without BT. Most of the time you just end up swapping yourself on hook or worst case scenario, the killer is really on the ball and now there are two people hooked, and if the killer gets two hooks close together, your team has lost all momentum because no way the killer wants to leave that area now.

    I will point out, however, that as a player who runs a safe unhook and heal build, I am a bit more vehement on this subject than most, because it's hard to watch people do the lemming dance by the hook when you could have just waited a few seconds to get a safe save, even without specific perks.