Also, on top of the above recommendations, there are some smaller games that hit the mark too:
โข Downfall: A game that explores eating disorders and how people view themselves. Very dark.
โข Lone Survivor: Silent Hill meets Twin Peaks in a strange, empty town with even stranger humanoids.
โข Silent Hill Room 304: A point-and-click game which quite successfully brings the atmosphere.
โข Sanitarium: A great tale which delves into insanity, mental anguish and a lot of strange landscapes and warped residents.
โข Jericho: More action-packed, but Clive Barker is involved, so if that doesn't sell it then nothing will!
โข Carmageddon: More for comedy horror, but driving around taking on other "racers" whilst terrorising and killing innocents .. there is a horror in that.
I recently played Outlast 1, Whistleblower, and 2, and can confidently say that those are some of the best horror games I've ever played; they just kept getting better in my opinion. Resident Evil 7 is the first horror game I've played and I absolutely love that game as well! Much of what's next on my list is in the thread above
Almost forgot you asked about movies as well! Some of my favorites specifically on Shudder (had to keep the list condensed somehow lol) are:
They Look Like People
Summer of 84
Hell House, LLC
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
The Furies (actually has a bit of a dbd feeling to it)
Random Acts of Violence
The Call
I'm sure I'm missing a lot more... I love horror movies lol. If you're into a specific style of horror I'd be happy to give more suggestions based on that!
The Thing by John Carpenter and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
DO NOT google anything about Body Snatchers, it will pull up massive spoilers. Treat yourself and just find a site to watch it, it's a slow burn at first but the film does a fantastic job of presenting a terrifying situation that makes you feel very uneasy.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Play silent hills 1 through 4 amazing horror games that still hold up well
If you've never seen the original Halloween, I strongly recommend it, extremely good movie.
In terms of games, Alien Isolation is a remarkably tense and nervewracking game, but I think most people have probably played it by now.
There were a lot of great recommendations in this post not long ago about horror games:
Also, on top of the above recommendations, there are some smaller games that hit the mark too:
โข Downfall: A game that explores eating disorders and how people view themselves. Very dark.
โข Lone Survivor: Silent Hill meets Twin Peaks in a strange, empty town with even stranger humanoids.
โข Silent Hill Room 304: A point-and-click game which quite successfully brings the atmosphere.
โข Sanitarium: A great tale which delves into insanity, mental anguish and a lot of strange landscapes and warped residents.
โข Jericho: More action-packed, but Clive Barker is involved, so if that doesn't sell it then nothing will!
โข Carmageddon: More for comedy horror, but driving around taking on other "racers" whilst terrorising and killing innocents .. there is a horror in that.
Labyrinthine
Fatal frame. Especially number 2
I recently played Outlast 1, Whistleblower, and 2, and can confidently say that those are some of the best horror games I've ever played; they just kept getting better in my opinion. Resident Evil 7 is the first horror game I've played and I absolutely love that game as well! Much of what's next on my list is in the thread above
Almost forgot you asked about movies as well! Some of my favorites specifically on Shudder (had to keep the list condensed somehow lol) are:
They Look Like People
Summer of 84
Hell House, LLC
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
The Furies (actually has a bit of a dbd feeling to it)
Random Acts of Violence
The Call
I'm sure I'm missing a lot more... I love horror movies lol. If you're into a specific style of horror I'd be happy to give more suggestions based on that!
Not out yet but VHS
Visage, fantastic game.
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. Not completely a horror game, but still fun.
Layers of fear
The evil within
Here's a few horror films for Halloween:
Clown (Eli Roth, 2014)
The Descent (2005)
Hostel (2005)
Prince Of Darkness (John Carpenter, 1987)
The Ritual (2017)
ENJOY! ๐
I just rewatch the first 4 Halloween movies every year so I have no new recommendations besides those
The Thing by John Carpenter and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
DO NOT google anything about Body Snatchers, it will pull up massive spoilers. Treat yourself and just find a site to watch it, it's a slow burn at first but the film does a fantastic job of presenting a terrifying situation that makes you feel very uneasy.