Here devs, a free usable calculation that is better at tracking skill than SBMM

Survivors:(Chase time+10*amount of gens being done before getting hooked)/(pallets used before getting hooked+amounts of hits taken before getting hooked)

Killers:(Chase time+10*amount of gens remaining after hooking a survivor)/(pallets used by survivors before getting hooked+amounts of hits given before hooking a survivor)


Gain an average number for each map on each killer during a testing phase, then use that average number from as a means to increase and decrease MMR. If they perform below the expected number, it decreases, if they perform above the expected number, it increases.


Is it perfect? No, far from, I literally pulled this out of my ass in 15 minutes time. But from experience I know it will have better results. Because as I've been told, SBMM is supposed to keep veteran players from facing new players, but with the old system, I was facing players who had at least 50+ hours and the average opponent I faced had around 500 hours. Now? I've played against opponents who literally are playing their first session of the game with only 4 hours, and as survivor I've been teamed up with other survivors who have 1k+ hours, against a killer who has only 12 hours.

If the old system did a better job of keeping veterans seperated from new players, the new system obviously has failed. It is an utter disappointment. It's been quite a meme that the designers are out of touch, but this is absolutely an abomination. In fact, I would even be in a position to demand the game designers who designed and praise this system to be fired and replaced with people who understand that getting killed isnt based on personal skill.

I have agreed and argued for a lot of changes, purely because I know how the maths behind some changes work and how the practical of those changes would be. But this? The devs behind this absolutely deserve all the flame they recieve for this change. Killers being locked in matchmaking for over 1 year, for what? To basically be a useless change!

Do as you want with this information, I no longer care. If SBMM doesnt get swapped out with an actual working system, or reverted to the old system, this game is gonna be on lifesupport by december and declared dead by januari.

Comments

  • "Survivors:(Chase time+10*amount of gens being done before getting hooked)/(pallets used before getting hooked+amounts of hits taken before getting hooked)"

    What about a Killer using Spirit Fury/Enduring vs. a Killer who is not using those Perks? Did the Survivor play worse, just because they did not know the Killer used Enduring/Spirit Fury?

    What about the Map? Using 2 Pallets on Hawkins or The Game means nothing, using 2 Pallets on Shelter Woods can be game-changing.

    Those are two easy examples which would make your calculation also not really represent Skill.

    I dont think that going for Escapes/Kills as a method of matchmaking is the best way to do. However, you can boil it down to: "Good Survivors escape often" and "Good Killers get many Kills". And I highly doubt that there will be an increasing number of players who just wait until their team died and the Killer closed the Hatch to hope for a Gate Escape to increase their MMR.

    And overall, it somewhat seems to work. Killers are complaining about high MMR-Survivors, yet they only seem to escape often. But apparently they are also good.

    Ranks were not really a good system to track Players Skill and current SBMM is also not perfect at all. And you cannot really get an accurate system to work, there is way too much RNG in this game (see above, Maps)... And Builds influence it as well, if a Survivor extends a Chase via Dead Hard, it does not mean that they are better than the guy who does not use any Exhaustion Perk. Same for Killers, if I go against Clown with Pinky Finger and a Clown who uses two yellow Add Ons, this is a difference like night and day.

    For my games at least, the SBMM works. My teammates are at least not worse than before and my Killer matches are neither sweaty (because I dont play sweaty) nor do I stomp Survivors (like it sometimes happened before).


    I also highly doubt that the game will be dead at the beginning of the next year.

  • It is not easy to come up with a formula, your's also has flaws.