Do you think VHS will top DBD?
Personally I think DBD will remain on top. Though VHS based on early looks will not die off. Unlike the billion other false prophets. And give competition.Reasons are simple DBD is established been around longer they know the formula that continuously works and the classic what other game can you be Nemesis chasing Bill, Ash, Laurie, Quentin through Midwich. And it seems the devs recognize this I mean suddenly the moment a contender who appears viable arrives two ancient community request Trapper Buffs and Spirit nerfs arrive and many more changes in only a part 1 for normally small Mod-Chapters. But, if VHS can at least stay alive it’ll be a nice alternative
Comments
I don't think it will outright beat DBD down, but I think it will address some of the issues some players have with DBD and offer an alternative that shines on its own merits.
I'm hoping it will become healthy competition to DBD.
Also, for all the people that keep saying "the Teens can hurt the Monster and will be a bully simulator", the Teens have to basically COMPLETE AN ENTIRE GEN just to essentially drop a single pallet. They can't constantly attack the monster, they have to build up the ability to attack. If they haven't, they have to run. Also, making the Monster itself the Teens objective forces interactions, instead of turning the game into a hide-and-seek simulator. On top of all of that, the Monsters come with ways to mitigate incoming damage. The game is DESIGNED around those interactions. Each Monster has multiple abilities that help them either play defensively or aggressively.
I'm not saying the game will be perfect or there won't be issues. All games have issues. However, I think what we've seen so far looks pretty good, and I will certainly be giving the game the ol' college try.
Have you seen the Dollmaker gameplay? Tell me again that tht's not a hide-and-seek simulator, except the one hiding can suddenly be like 2 kilometers away when they're found.
I meant with how Killers in DBD have to hunt down Survivors that refuse to do gens, just waiting for each other to die to get a hatch escape.
Dollmakers teleport was on a minute cooldown. He can't keep teleporting away. He HAS to play aggressively with his dolls in order to pad out him time to build up another teleport. While he's running, the Teens can also take out any dolls they come across that aren't active in order to force him out of hiding to reset his doll placements. With map knowledge, Teens will probably have a pretty good idea of his primary and secondary hiding spots as well.
In that regard, yes, it's a role reversal of how DBD normally turns out, but in the very least, it's 4 people hunting one big dude that can't blend in with a bush and wait for a hatch.
At best it could be like Saints Row compared to GTA. That it could do well and get sequels. But it's never going to surpass DBD.
I think this is a fair comparison.
Hell no.
You are serious when you think that having licences is the main features that make the game on top ?
The fun you get while playing & the way they advertise the game will be the only thing that count, nothing else.
So what do we know ?
About DbD :
About VHS :
I honestly think that VHS will be way funnier than DbD but that the lack of good marketing won´t give this game any chance, unfortunately. To my mind, the only game that has a chance to top DbD is Evil Dead The Game if the developers don´t fail the gameplay.
Top is a lot to ask but it honestly looks like a great addition to the genre.
It looks a lot better then the other assymetricals outside of dbd.
The only thing that's holding me back a bit for me is that it's free to play.
In my experience ftp games are just a beacon to toxic players. But that's a completly personal thing so i am having high hopes for it
Nobody in their right mind should think VHS will even place up the boots of dbd.
I don't think it will top dbd but be it own thing.
The game look fun for both sides and the gameplay look to be promising, having the interaction for both sides trying to kill the other which can go back and forward (to attack to flee/outmanuever away from the other side)
I will be getting a pc just to play this game and I'm hoping that it goes on for a long time
I don't think it will beat DBD, but I think it will hold its own as competition perhaps. They are similar games but different enough that it could happen.
I do wish VHS all the best and I am interested in it but I don't think it will take down DBD, nor do I want it to. I am fairly new to DBD and I am enjoying myself. I know the game has its flaws but I am pretty much addicted.
There is another important advantage that VHS has:
You always know how close you are to winning / losing. There is a specific goal to work towards, and when the match is over you again know how close to winning / losing you were.
In Dbd we have no idea what's a win and what's a lose. Everyone has to decide that for themselves which can lead to wildly different expectations and goals in the game. If you heal and unhook a lot of Survivors, but then you die, did you win? Did you lose? No one knows. Got 0 hooks the entire game but then you killed everyone with NOED - is that a win? A lose? How about the Survivors, is it a lose for them? Or a win because they denied you hooks the entire game?
Really the sad thing about this is that the MMR could help clarify the win conditions, but we are not allowed to know our MMR and how much we gain / lose after a game because.... uhhh...... reasons? It still wouldn't be as clear as VHS but it would still be a huge improvement!
Nah: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/kb/articles/137-forum-rules (at least I don't see any rule that says so or could be interpreted like that)
Another advantage that VHS has that I forgot to mention:
For example the Survivor fursuits (Penguin and Reindeer / Elk) look out of place in Dbd. They wouldn't in VHS. That gives more "artistic freedom" when designing new cosmetics, there is less of a risk of them looking super out of place.
I highly doubt VHS will surpass DBD as it has such an established player-base and offers licensed killers + horror(ish) vibe, however it definitely looks like some good competition.
That being said I’m very interested in VHS. For such an early stage game it’s looking highly polished and the devs seem to have really thought about the mechanics/systems. Definitely one to watch out for.
Question is: Do the licenses really make DbD better (personally I think they are actually hindering DbD due to how the costs/obligations influence how new content is handled)?
VHS might be good, but it also (mainly due to some 'fight' mechanics from what I've seen) seems to have a lot of potential to attract toxicity. This however might draw toxic players away from dbd, which would be good (though I don't wish it on VHS)
VHS might be good, but it also (mainly due to some 'fight' mechanics from what I've seen) seems to have a lot of potential to attract toxicity. This however might draw toxic players away from dbd, which would be good (though I don't wish it on VHS)
The Killer / Monster has fight mechanics in both, so I think you are not talking about that (<-- just explaining how I read your post, if I am wrong please correct me!)
The Survivors / Teens (I think that's what the human team is called in VHS) also kind of have fight mechanics in both games already. In Dbd you have flashlights and stuns, which I think are not actually that different from the weapons in VHS. Of course in VHS if you get hit often enough the game ends which is a major difference but I think it's actually really important that the fight mechanic is how you win in VHS.
What is often considered toxic in Dbd is not exactly flashlights themselves, but spamming the clicking sound. There is no in-game reason to do so, it's done just to annoy the Killer. While in VHS you have a reason to use your fight mechanics, because that is literally how you win (as human) or lose (as monster / killer).
Instead I think the biggest problem will be that VHS is F2P. That (probably) makes it easy to just create a new account when you get banned for being an awful human being (insults / death threats / using hacks). Having to buy the game doesn't stop people from doing this in Dbd for example:
That's from yesterday. I fear that VHS being F2P is going to attract a lot of those nasty people. Hopefully the report system is actually good so that these kinds of people can be dealt with quickly.
yeah, pretty much what I meant. Like in dbd you already have people who only play to get people to DC, and people who try to purposefully get matched with new players to feel grandios about steamrolling them.
You already (on dbd's killer side) have a lot of gamestart slugging that get's justified as 'legit tactic'... now imagine those mindsets in a game where ganging up on the 'other' side can be justified as 'just playing the game', even though you purposefully seek out less experienced players.
I wish VHS the best of luck.
Toxicity is possible only (mostly) because a game is unbalanced. DbD is full of situations where the balance is off.
Also many perks induce frustration for the other team : DH, DS, Unbreakable, Noed, Devour Hope, hex perks when they are cleansed in 10 seconds etc... All those garbage perks that are just patches to compensate a terrible game design.
In terms of playerbase and commercial success? No.
In terms of fun? Possible. That's depends on opinion. We'll see.
I hope it's fun.
Problem is you can't really balance DbD without essentially rebuilding it from the ground up:
Be it rewarding different playstyles against the differetn killers, having dynamic maps, having some perks become basekit, etc.
Instead dbd is looking like a frigging JENGA tower
Definitely not, but all it needs to do is create competition. Even if DbD loses only 5% of it's player base to them after a bad patch, that will make BHVR stop and think, which is good.
VHS will definetely compete vs Dead by daylight.Friday 13th and all those games failed in being focused on one character and this one doesnt its gonna be like Dead by daylight just give them time.
I saw the gameplay for VHS and it looks clunky. No game is perfect, yes, but I won't touch it till it looks a bit smoother.
Plus that camera angle after you get a hit frustrates the hell out of me.
Just snaps straight up... why? I feel like I'm getting whiplash playing a video game. If they're so insistent on having that angle for some unknown holy reason at least make it pan up a tab bit slower to show a proper cooldown, or something.
The scream is not a good reason for that camera.
Actually FF14 beat them out this year.