All of these teases for an original survivor is...interesting

If this were a licensed survivor, then I would certainly understand all of the heavy marketing. But as it is I think we need more than cosmetics and sounds of pain to set the survivors apart from one another. Considering how heavy the grind is, the last thing I want to do is level up multiple survivors. I already have everything unlocked with Feng, and I really have no desire to do that over and over again.

Maybe it's time to change up the formula and make items or possibly perks tied to specific survivors. For example, this new survivor heavily implies magic, so why not give her a magical item that only she can use?

Comments

  • Well it's a new survivor with the new boon totem perk we were told were coming this year in the anniversary stream. Trickster's chapter also had the survivor in part of the teaser material we got.

  • I believe that's the point. The DLC will only include a survivor, which means just 3 more perks for most people. If BHVR wants this DLC to be profitable they need to something extra. From what it seems this trailer and the first ever boon perk coming with the survivor are that something.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    If this were a licensed survivor, then I would certainly understand all of the heavy marketing. But as it is I think we need more than cosmetics and sounds of pain to set the survivors apart from one another. Considering how heavy the grind is, the last thing I want to do is level up multiple survivors. I already have everything unlocked with Feng, and I really have no desire to do that over and over again.

    Maybe it's time to change up the formula and make items or possibly perks tied to specific survivors. For example, this new survivor heavily implies magic, so why not give her a magical item that only she can use?

    Meh, when I put BP into Survivor its only for one of three characters- Claudette (my first main), Kate (current main and only character I prestiged) and Felix (favorite male Survivor). There's no point in sinking so much BP into the others unless its for an Adept or a hard Rift challenge.

  • No.

    It's been suggested many times through out the years, but tying perks and other abilities to specific Survivors is a poor idea. You're just going to start seeing the same 6-7 'meta' Survivors (just like with perks), because people won't want to feel like they're at a disadvantage because their favourite Survivor isn't as good as another.

    Let Survivor choice remain purely preference. There's nothing wrong with that.

    I already have everything unlocked with Feng, and I really have no desire to do that over and over again.

    Then don't? Survivors are identical gameplay wise, there's absolutely nothing incentivising players from getting all perks on every Survivor.

  • Thats the only medium Bhvr is actually transparent with its audience : teasers.

    Thanks bhvr, very cool.

  • Yun-Jin was also teased like that, pretty heavy focus on her as she was the one overtaking the Twitter account etc.


    some kind of difference on survs would be cool but i guess we are too far in.

    maybe introduce more items and have every surv have one item that’s more likely for them to get in bloodwebs/chests and one item that’s less likely? But for that items (especially keys) need to be on a more even Level

  • @Crowman said:

    Well it's a new survivor with the new boon totem perk we were told were coming this year in the anniversary stream. Trickster's chapter also had the survivor in part of the teaser material we got.

    But if the boon totem is tied into a perk with the new survivor, then that survivor stops being unique once you unlock their teachable. I can understand if a perk needs to always be teachable, but there needs to be something other than cosmetics to set survivors apart.

  • @Superyoshiegg said:

    No.

    It's been suggested many times through out the years, but tying perks and other abilities to specific Survivors is a poor idea. You're just going to start seeing the same 6-7 'meta' Survivors (just like with perks), because people won't want to feel like they're at a disadvantage because their favourite Survivor isn't as good as another.

    Let Survivor choice remain purely preference. There's nothing wrong with that.

    I already have everything unlocked with Feng, and I really have no desire to do that over and over again.

    Then don't? Survivors are identical gameplay wise, there's absolutely nothing incentivising players from getting all perks on every Survivor.

    And I understand if perks need to always be teachable, but there's no reason to not make specific items tied to specific characters though. When Ash was revealed to be coming to DBD, I thought surely they would have incorporated his boomstick or chainsaw in some capacity, but they didn't, and I thought that was a huge missed opportunity.