Lower 'Chore' Challenges (Especially for Survivor)
There are a lot of challenges that are just excessively tedious, particularly for survivor where the number of times you can do them per match is limited and you are competing with other survivors, some of whom you cannot communicate with.
A good example is Blood Debt. Even under the BEST circumstances of a challenge that requires pretty specific conditions to progress, you can only get 4 progress per match. This requires you to get hooked, have someone with 0 hooks come rescue you, unhook them twice, get hooked again, have another person with 0 hooks come unhook you, unhook them twice. 10 times. AT BEST, it takes 3 matches.
Escape 4 trials. Which means AT MINIMUM, 4 games. If BHVR's 2-2 statistic is expected, 8 games.
Compare this to challenges in the same tier, like Saboing 12 hooks, which you can choose to go out of your way and do, and potentially accomplish in a trial or two.
Similarly, but to a lesser degree, are killer things like hit people with your weapon 50 times or break 25 pallets.
These 'challenges' are not actually challenges, they are part of normal gameplay, you just have to do them a lot, to the point of tedium. My suggestion is that BHVR should lower the number of times you have to do these 'chore' challenges, so that you aren't stuck playing 10 games hoping someone who unhooks you goes down twice.
Live example, I am on my 4th game of the "Do 12 gens" challenge. I am at five gens. Not even like I am bad at gens, I am good at getting chased and killers commit to me for some reason, so it is not uncommon for me to get chased for 2-3 gens. Which means I am usually only getting 1-2 a game, at most, and I cannot in any way influence that, because the other survivors I am playing with are good enough to do gens, and the killers choose to chase me. (Current Count: 8 games, 12 gens. NO killer challenge took me this long.) So it took me 8 games to do one regular, part of the natural objective and flow of the game, 'chore' challenge. It was not a 'do this in one game' challenge. Not something I could go out of my way to do. Just something that happens naturally. 8 games as survivor. No challenge in this tome as killer has ever taken me 8 games. I think only 1-2 have in any tome, and those were all "Do this in a single game" challenges.
Comments
What's wrong with challenges taking multiple games? They are supposed to be well challenging to complete
I feel like the issue is with how challenge aren't exactly comparable in power.
Like they mentioned, a sabo challenge can be done in one or two trials. While doing gens or unhooking can take even more than 5 trials sometimes depending on how lucky/unlucky you get.
They aren't challenging though. They are things that happen naturally over gameplay, but only in limited amounts. I can go out of my way to do almost every killer challenge except 2-3, but only like, 1/3rd of the survivor challenges are like that. There is no challenge, no skill, just grind. And most of the time, they aren't even things you can go out of your way to do. Like I said, my current count is 7 games to do 10/12 gens. Because I get chased. I cannot influence that at all. So there is no challenge or gameplay on my part, just luck and grind.
I mean if they aren't fun you can just ignore them entirely. I'm not sure what you want, in the begging of the post you complained they were to hard and at the end that they would happen without trying. I think it's a nice blend but if you don't then what exactly do you think they should be?
I did not say hard, I said tedious. As in, too long, boring, and uninteresting. All of them can be done, and progress can be made quite easily, but it is only made SLOWLY, and against high numbers. I want the numbers reduced. All of this is covered quite overly. You can't ignore all of them because some of them block significant portions of the tome.
OK so again I ask what do you want? your not just saying do 3 gens is a great challenge becuase it can be done in one match and do 13 is awfull becuasw it takes 4 matches are you?
I literally said it. Twice. Once in the original, once in the one above. How are you not getting it? I want the numbers reduced. I am saying "Do 12 gens" is a bad challenge because it isn't a challenge. It is something you do anyway, but it wants you to do it for a long time over a lot of games. You always get some progress. You don't actually have to DO anything except play. You just have to play for a long time. It is a participation trophy challenge.
So is do 3 gens a good challenge then or do you have an example of something else that you would like to see?
The glyph challenges are good examples, because you go out of your way to search for them, even it takes 3 games to do it. Also, other survivors cannot deny your progress. Neither can the killer with just a regular chase, unless they tunnel and camp from the start.
Sabo challenges are good challenges because you can go out of your way to do it, and make a lot of progress because you CHOOSE to.
Almost all of their "Complete in one challenge" challenges are good. Even if it takes multiple attempts, it is usually actually a challenge.
Get X hooks in the basement is a good challenge, because you can go out of your way to try and get basement hooks. Get X regular hooks is not.
Keep Calm is a great one; Succeed at 5 skill checks while within the killer's terror radius. You have to go out of your way to do something a little riskier.
Hit survivors 50 times is a bad challenge, because that is just something you are doing anyway, it just takes a while to get that many.
Open X chests is a bad challenge, because only 3 chests spawn by default. If you cannot communicate with your teammates, even if you bring a coin, they might start opening them. It is just you play several games till it happens.
We're on the same page now. So what do you think about types of challenges that haven't appeared before, something like do nit heal the entire match and escapr, don't enter into a chase and escape., or perhaps challenges than negatively effect you when chosen like a speed debuff or something
Automatic drawbacks might be interesting. Move at 95% instead of 100%, Unable to heal once injured, M1s have 20% longer CD, No survivor can be killed unless each survivor has been hooked once. Just activate the challenge and it changes the nature of the game for you, and you need to succeed with these hindrances.
This also isn't helped by the fact that survivors challenges have been more numerous in every tome, and I believe each chapter of each tome, and they have so many like this. In a single chapter, I can finish my killer section in about 20 games. For survivor, that finishes 3-4 challenges at most.
And it is not a matter of skill. It is just a matter of killer tasks tending to be way less time consuming and happening more frequently for that single player.