Why do survivors dont get better at the game over time?

I had teammates with hundreds and thousand of hours in the game that played like absolute potatoes.

I dont play to win but I always try my best to play good while having fun.

What's the point of playing a game if you're not gonna get better over time,that basically what happens in every other game I played except dbd.

I can say more than 80% of my games in soloq I get survivors that wont do their objectives,will run around the killer and get downed,camp hook despite knowing the killer is nearby and wont leave,until they get downed.

I've ran kindred lately and even though everyone see what everyone else is doing and where the killer is,it doesn't make a difference.

Its like playing a game you dont care about which is weird to say the least.

Comments

  • I think it's because DBD is a casual game that some people like to dominate others in. If survivors did their objective optimally it's fairly easy to escape. Most people know that i think and like to rub it in the killers face by beating them in a chase constantly, stunning them and blinding them. If you get good RNG as survivor it makes it easy to do this. So many players in this game act cocky when they are actually not very good. Compared to an actual esports game like Call of Duty you need actual higher skill to beat others in that game.

  • Most people probably don't play to sweat, that's why.

    You can invest a lot of time and still suck if you're not taking the game all that seriously and want to fart around for a bit. There's also the chance that they play killer more than survivor and are just getting used to it, or someone else is playing the game, or they've taken a long break and are just coming back. All kinds of reasons.

  • Because most people quit before they can improve

    majority of the player base are new players

  • @Shroompy said:

    Because most people quit before they can improve

    majority of the player base are new players

    That kinda sucks for those who dont.

  • The skill required for survivors is honestly very intense. I know people generally hold the image in their minds of how easy survivor is to get good at but when you play survivor you have to prepare for 24 different killers who all have their powers which each have different counters or specific things that’s not written down or widely known.

    It is generally easier to get good at survivor but the differentiation of skill is only noticeable when the survivor hits the multiple thousands of hours mark.

  • I'm pretty sure I haven't improved as killer over the last 1000 hours either. I think we all have our own personal skill ceiling and unfortunately some people's skill ceilings are only slighly above beginner.

  • Playing survivor is very hand holdy I find. You can win many games because 1-2 player on your team is good and all you had to do was gens, or a few saves/heals. Unlike Killer where you only have yourself to rely on.

  • Maybe not taking the game too seriously. It's not even competitive.

  • Some people don’t wanna play games to improve.

    I know I don’t, lmao. At least not with DBD. It’s whatever at this point, considering it’s state on console.

  • I think it's cus in this game there's less of a reliance on yourself as opposed to killer where you have no one else to rely on other than yourself in a 1v4 situation. This isn't meant as a dig either towards survivors btw, so please don't take this as that. Plus there are other factors to consider too such as the player themselves and what they're own personal learning curve is, and how seriously they take the game, etc. If you dive deeper in to that question there's really no good answer for it.

  • Because a lot of them only play SWF and think they're good because of it so they dont feel the need to improve.

  • One issue is that out of say a couple thousand hours gameplay, you may only get to practice looping for a couple hundred hours, which given the number of maps and tiles, really is not much at all, and looping is the most important skill in the game.

  • I think as killer you are put under more pressure to perform well. As a result killer players tend to learn how to improve quickly. As survivor because it's 4v1 you can win a match without ever being found. If your in a swf and there's that 1 person who is a god looper then you don't need to learn how to loop, mind game, juke. You can just hold M1 and progress. As killer because you are by yourself there is no one to hold your hand. If you succeed or fail it's all on you(and the quality of the survivors your facing, and the map, and rng) :P

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    I think as killer you are put under more pressure to perform well. As a result killer players tend to learn how to improve quickly. As survivor because it's 4v1 you can win a match without ever being found. If your in a swf and there's that 1 person who is a god looper then you don't need to learn how to loop, mind game, juke. You can just hold M1 and progress. As killer because you are by yourself there is no one to hold your hand. If you succeed or fail it's all on you(and the quality of the survivors your facing, and the map, and rng) :P

    So what's the point to play if that's what you're gonna do the whole game,just hold m1 on a gen,sounds fun.

  • I think it generally depends on how seriously someone takes the game and how much they want to get into it and if they want to get better at it. You can quickly have several hundred hours in DBD without really playing much (leveling, store, q-times, ...) or the hours are spread over many years, ie the player starts DBD every eternity times for 1-2 hours. The hours say nothing about the skill of the survivor.

    In addition, the play style of the player (sneaky, swf, only m1) or an offensive play style, which influence the learning curve.

    Often skill is equated with how good someone is in the chase, I would also partially agree. But for me it is more important what decisions the player makes, for example when to take a hit, when to save, when to commite to a gen, when to let a teammate die (especially in the endgame or when facecamping)... in my opinion there are many situations where a quick "right or good" decision shows the true skill of a player. So it's not enough to be "only" good in the chase, if you make the wrong move in the game deciding situations.

  • It's weird really. Otzdarva who is an above average survivor in terms of getting chased lol and this is same guy who had 7k hours iirc.

    Amazing killer though.

  • "What's the point of playing a game if you're not gonna get better over time?" Gee I dunno, maybe FUN?!