Blowing Skill Checks Because You Hopped Off A Gen

Anyone who's played Survivor long enough has been there. You hop off a gen and instantly get a skill check, so you automatically "miss" it because you are not able to even attempt to hit it.

But difficult skill checks for Overcharge are able to completed even if the survivor immediately gets off a gen.

So should regular skill checks change? Should Survivors be able to complete normal skill checks that pop up the second they hop off the gen, just like they do with Overcharge?

If you're a 50/50 Killer/Survivor, your opinion carries more weight for me, as Killer and Survivor mains each have a bias.

Comments

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2484189#Comment_2484189

    There's bigger balancing issues in game then blowing a skill check

    That's irrelevant. No one made the claim, "Stop what you're doing and fix this now! There is literally nothing else bigger in importance!" If that claim had be made, I'd side with you. But that's not what's happening. This is a discussion about something that is a problem, and other things being an issue don't make this not an issue.

  • @ArchGunRunner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2484566#Comment_2484566

    I've had them pop like that too, i always just put it down to bad timing when i was releasing someone being healed or repairing seeing as it isn't consistently happening for me when i leave either of those actions.

    Someone commented:

    They actually fixed this a long time ago, then reverted it because people were "gen-tapping" to avoid (old) Ruin, even though it was demonstrably slower than just doing the gen through normal Ruin checks.

    Then they changed Ruin and never reimplemented the change.

    It's annoying, and I have personally seen it cost matches from both sides of the game. Losing because of RNG feels terrible in any PvP setting, and I wholeheartedly wish they would address it. The game already has enough RNG, and they've already shown it can be fixed.

    I haven't been here since the OG days so I don't remember this ever being the case, but if that's true, then it means this is something the devs can at least fix. I don't see how this was a counter to old ruin since I never got a skill check when tapping, but I suppose if you took too long between "taps" that could happen.

    I don't know about you, but my experience is like another commentator's where it's not a matter of bad timing as much as bad luck. Have I gotten a skill check noise notification but released a split second later while working on the gen, and then auto-blown the skill check? Yes. And that's my fault because that's bad timing on my part. But my issue is when you release working on the gen and THEN you get a skill check that instantly auto-fails. That's bad luck. You can do nothing about that as a player, and that shouldn't happen.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2484571#Comment_2484571

    Someone commented:

    They actually fixed this a long time ago, then reverted it because people were "gen-tapping" to avoid (old) Ruin, even though it was demonstrably slower than just doing the gen through normal Ruin checks.

    Then they changed Ruin and never reimplemented the change.

    It's annoying, and I have personally seen it cost matches from both sides of the game. Losing because of RNG feels terrible in any PvP setting, and I wholeheartedly wish they would address it. The game already has enough RNG, and they've already shown it can be fixed.

    I haven't been here since the OG days so I don't remember this ever being the case, but if that's true, then it means this is something the devs can at least fix. I don't see how this was a counter to old ruin since I never got a skill check when tapping, but I suppose if you took too long between "taps" that could happen.

    I don't know about you, but my experience is like another commentator's where it's not a matter of bad timing as much as bad luck. Have I gotten a skill check noise notification but released a split second later while working on the gen, and then auto-blown the skill check? Yes. And that's my fault because that's bad timing on my part. But my issue is when you release working on the gen and THEN you get a skill check that instantly auto-fails. That's bad luck. You can do nothing about that as a player, and that shouldn't happen.

    I've been around the game for 3 odd years now and remember that being a "fix" for gen tapping back when Ruin was a skill check based perk, which is why i said it seems like unlucky skill check timing. If it happens to me i've usually been on the gen for at least a few seconds and it goes when i leave.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2483182#Comment_2483182

    As far as I am aware (an OG DBD plater or mod would have to weigh in), that is not a bug. It is an intentional mechanic.

    But even if it were bugged, does that negate the opinion that most of the commenters have? No. The way overcharge works is merely an illustration of how regular skill checks should work.

    No it's bugged

    You said it yourself... Normal skillchecks disappear and you get penalized for it that's what Overcharge was meant to be but it happens as soon as you touch the gen rather then whenever the game decides you face a skillcheck

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2483984#Comment_2483984

    No it's bugged

    You said it yourself... Normal skillchecks disappear and you get penalized for it that's what Overcharge was meant to be but it happens as soon as you touch the gen rather then whenever the game decides you face a skillcheck

    It's only a bug if it wasn't intended to be that way. The only people who can answer that are OG players and Devs. But I have never heard anyone say Overcharge was ever any different. If you think it's a bug, I recommend reporting it in the forums so you can get an official response from a mod.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2483195#Comment_2483195

    That is not an apples to apples comparison.

    You are not being randomly and unexpectedly punished in any of those situations. You choose to stop an action, and the action stops. That's all that happens.

    On this issue, the survivor chooses to stop an action. The action stops. But unlike the Killer, it doesn't end there. The Survivor then gets penalized with triggering a loud noise notification and regressing the gen. And they have no way to stop, predict, or counter it.

    You just said what all of us wanted you to.....

    "you stopped the action the action stops" so apply that to a survivor wanting to get off the gen and their you go... It doesn't matter YOu stop in the middle of a skillcheck then it's going to deem it missed

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2485209#Comment_2485209

    It's only a bug if it wasn't intended to be that way. The only people who can answer that are OG players and Devs. But I have never heard anyone say Overcharge was ever any different. If you think it's a bug, I recommend reporting it in the forums so you can get an official response from a mod.

    Because no one uses it.... I'm pretty certain it has been reported Overcharge has been bugged for years now

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2484004#Comment_2484004

    You just said what all of us wanted you to.....

    "you stopped the action the action stops" so apply that to a survivor wanting to get off the gen and their you go... It doesn't matter YOu stop in the middle of a skillcheck then it's going to deem it missed

    I don't think we're discussing the same issue. I am not talking about the times when a skill check procs a half second before you get off the gen, and therefore you miss it.

    In what I am talking about, you're not getting off the gen in the middle of a skill check and therefore missing it. You get off the gen and THEN a skill check procs. But because the server recognizes you are off the gen, it does not allow you to even attempt to hit it. That is completely broken. If you do not agree with that, then agree to disagree.

  • Ok that makes sense now

    @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2485234#Comment_2485234

    I don't think we're discussing the same issue. I am not talking about the times when a skill check procs a half second before you get off the gen, and therefore you miss it.

    In what I am talking about, you're not getting off the gen in the middle of a skill check and therefore missing it. You get off the gen and THEN a skill check procs. But because the server recognizes you are off the gen, it does not allow you to even attempt to hit it. That is completely broken. If you do not agree with that, then agree to disagree.

    Yea I've had that happen to me sometimes as well.... And yes that is a BHVR issue (lag and server sided)

1 2 ›