Need advice for Pyramid Head..

So I'm beginning to sink BP into PH because 1. I love him and 2. I don't actually need any other reasons so I'll just cut to the chase: I need help creating a beginner build for learning him as well as maybe a build to work into once I get better as him.

The worst part currently is that I'm still leveling him up and trying to get the good perks I have on my main killers but you know how that goes, I'm just not getting the perks I actually want RIP but regardless this is what I'm working with currently:

Trail of Torment / BBQ / Corrupt Intervention / Sloppy Butcher

I've actually gotten some hilarious and clutch use out of ToT but I do intend on replacing it eventually (Probably with Tinkerer), though I wouldn't mind meming perhaps with Pop + ToT. BBQ is for BP but then I run into that awkward thing where I'm like wait, do I cage or hook? I don't get the stacks if I cage lol

Corrupt is my only slowdown which is painful but I do love Corrupt. And Sloppy is there because I genuinely have nothing better at level 31 lol

But what would more experienced killers (Preferably any PH mains) recommend? Is it a bad idea to run things like Pop that incentivize hooking survivors then going and kicking gens? Or really just any perk in general that is centered around hooks. I forgot just how complex he is and it's making theory crafting and creating a build to work towards very difficult lol

Also does anyone know any well known PH players? I like watching other people play to see how it's done.

Comments

  • Hey

    I'd say your build right now is pretty decent, If you're looking for a replacement for Trail of Torment - I would personally recommend either Whispers (To help you locate survivors early game + make better use of your corrupt), Bitter Murmur (To help you see which direction survivors go after they do a gen AND in case it gets to endgame, you can use it to get some snipes potentially).

    Also, Ruin is the better choice for gen regression as it synergizes with his kit pretty well, however on the subject of Pop/BBQ I want to point out that you won't always be able to cage survivors. Sometimes survivors will play well and avoid being tormented at all costs. Having these perks let's you make use of them when you need them the most.

    Personally my build for PH is Ruin, Pop, Corrupt and BBQ. It's basic, but it's solid and mostly consistant.

    Ruin is on the shrine if you don't have it unlocked yet, just thought I'd mention it!

  • @Brokenbones said:

    Hey

    I'd say your build right now is pretty decent, If you're looking for a replacement for Trial of Torment - I would personally recommend either Whispers (To help you locate survivors early game + make better use of your corrupt), Bitter Murmur (To help you see which direction survivors go after they do a gen AND in case it gets to endgame, you can use it to get some snipes potentially).

    Also, Ruin is the better choice for gen regression as it synergizes with his kit pretty well, however on the subject of Pop/BBQ I want to point out that you won't always be able to cage survivors. Sometimes survivors will play well and avoid being tormented at all costs. Having these perks let's you make use of them when you need them the most.

    Personally my build for PH is Ruin, Pop, Corrupt and BBQ. It's basic, but it's solid and mostly consistant.

    Ruin is on the shrine if you don't have it unlocked yet, just thought I'd mention it!

    I thought about Whispers but I don't have any trouble finding survivors with Corrupt thankfully.

    I was thinking the Ruin + Pop combo might be a good gold standard so I'll run that once the bloodweb decides to give me both of them LOL

    Do you ever use I'm All Ears for wallhacks during chase? That's another I was considering for aura reading.

  • @ukenicky said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2465656#Comment_2465656

    I thought about Whispers but I don't have any trouble finding survivors with Corrupt thankfully.

    I was thinking the Ruin + Pop combo might be a good gold standard so I'll run that once the bloodweb decides to give me both of them LOL

    Do you ever use I'm All Ears for wallhacks during chase? That's another I was considering for aura reading.

    Yeah, I'm All Ears is a pretty good PH perk - my only issue with it is a lot of the time PH gets his hits when survivors are locked in animation and this will result in the perk being wasted a lot of the time but it's good to have against good survivors since PH's attack goes through walls

    Also, a suggestion that just came to me - If you want a perk to replace BBQ you can run Thrilling Tremors instead. While it has the same issue as BBQ in that you need to pick someone up to trigger it, it gives you more reliable information on where to contest generators. I still prefer BBQ personally due to the fact it has no cooldown and doubles BP which is too much to not have

    Otzdarva is also a Pyramid Head enjoyer and I think he has many videos on him - two guides I believe. If that's something that interests you be sure to check it out!

  • Ruin and I'm All Ears.

    The rest is up to you. It could be extra slowdown in Undying or Corrupt, slug with Infectious Freight, aura for M2s such as Nurse's, ambush perks like Monitor, or super aggressive like Lethal Pursuer.

  • OKAY OKAY bonjour hi I'm here

    @GoodBoyKaru said:

    So a few attentive people may recognise this from a comment I made yesterday (technically it was 24 minutes into today but let's not talk semantics). A couple of people suggested I make it a real post because "That's an excellent guide, very well put together." So, here I am. I've added a few more things so it's still worth a read.

    This will cover what is, in my opinion, his best build and why, as well as a few tips on playing him & a few videos.

    So hey, it's me- GoodBoyKaru, your friendly neighbourhood Pyramid Head main- here to give some swift Tips and Tricks(tm) to help make you a better Pyramid Head player!

    For the record, this was made during DBD Patch 4.7.2

    Build

    PERKS

    My personal favourite and imho strongest build is this:

    • Corrupt Intervention

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/5A01IV8RME2M/image.png

    Crucial early-game slowdown on a killer without mobility, allows him to stall the game massively because survivors know that if they get found they're doomed.

    • Pop Goes The Weasel

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/FHA7ZFNAKVZY/image.png

    It's the second best gen regression perk in the game, Ruin is too volatile to be anywhere near reliable on him because, again, no movement speed, he needs gen perks because he cannot move around the map quick enough, 11/10. "But you don't hook pe-" WRONG. You should be getting plenty of value out of PGTW and if you're overcaging then you're taking your map pressure and throwing it out the window.

    • Barbeque and Chili

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/SC8THLXSY3RP/image.png

    Now, you could obviously put other perks here like Infectious Fright (amazing snowball), Tinkerer (Undetectable is nice and it helps tell you where to go but again no movement speed) or Discordance (amazing info, can sometimes do nothing about it). However I say BBQ because I like the perk and also because bloodpoints.

    • I'm All Ears

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/V90CSL0I44NO/image.png

    Hands down the best perk in the game for Pyramid Head, that's six seconds of wallhacks. I cannot stress how valuable this is with his power- that is a guaranteed free hit in 9/10 situations. To show what I mean, I've linked a timestamped video below of where IAE comes in so clutch- continues to 5:16 in the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=296s

    (you can watch the whole thing if you really want I'm proud of the game).

    An honourable mention here goes to Ruin/Undying over Pop/Corrupt. As I've mentioned before, Tinkerer isn't a great perk on him due to his lack of speed, but the same goes for Ruin/Undying. You don't have the map mobility to defend your totems, especially if they spawn further away, and you'll probably end up losing two perks before 2 gens go. Corrupt/Pop is just more consistent in my experience.

    ADD-ONS

    So, his add-ons aren't great. The best ones, by far, are range add-ons which, when combined, extend his POTD by up to 2.5m (10.5m total). These are Burning Man Painting (Rare), Wax Doll (Uncommon), and Black Strap (Common), which ass +1.5m, +1m, and +0.5m respectively.

    tips

    Okay so rule number one is to not break pallets. Sounds weird but, just trust me.

    His power is incredibly strong in a chase- so much so that if a survivor commits to an animation they die. If you don't break pallets (with some exceptions like God pallets) you can do amazing things. Because who doesn't want more opportunities to win a chase, like, instantly? It turns incredibly safe pallets into death sentences

    To show what I mean, here's another timestamped clip. Ends at 10:58

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu3X5o9GpjY&t=646s

    Learn the range of the power. 8m is specific and sometimes you think you can hit things and you can't. You need to be very careful, especially when playing with range add-ons for so long, because it can and will screw with your perception.

    Adapt to the survivors you're facing. A lot of players will fake taking an animation, go to the side slightly to bait your POTD or your cancel, and then commit to the animation. If you turn to the side and release, you'll catch a lot of these survivors out and get a hit. It's really satisfying to do. Alternatively some survivors will commit to the animations regardless, in which case you'll know to aim in the centre. Other survivors will just hold W and pre-drop pallets, in which case you know to leave them because you'll really struggle catching up, or do not use your power.

    I cannot stress that enough. If a survivor is pre-dropping W key gaming, do not use your power. M1 killer them.

    Don't overcage and don't stress about torment. If a survivor loops you, they'll get tormented. That's just kinda how it works- you stick your knife in, follow them around a loop, and release your POTD after tracking their movements.

    To see what I mean we return to the first video, again timestamped. Clip ends at 1:36.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=83s

    See how I hug the car, turn the camera and use the power to hit him out of animation lock? Had he kept running, easy torment too.

    In my opinion, only cage someone in one of four scenarios:

    • You're afraid of a DS (just please don't tunnel I'm begging you)
    • You're afraid of an Unbreakable (much more likely)
    • You can immidiately get into another chase
    • It would place you into a Pressure Point Of No Return (name pending).

    What I mean by that last point is that there comes a time in a DBD game where the killer will hit a Pressure Point Of No Return, where the survivors physically cannot come back from the amount of pressure and momentum you're building. The best example of this as Pyramid Head is where you split the map through cages. You have two downed survivors. Cage one, hook the other. Nobody is on a generator, you have a BBQ proc to interrupt the person saving the cage or the hook, and now the last person must save both people. On especially large maps, like Mother's Dwelling, or multi-storied ones, like Midwich, this can force people into second stage and you've won the game at 5 gens. It's more common than you'd think.

    If you cage at other times you're probably wasting pressure you could've gotten from a hook.

    Learn where you can and can't lay trails. In front of totems and lockers? Amazing. In front of a gen? Not at all, it becomes a Restricted Trail Element and disappears after a few seconds. The DBD Wiki has a section on this which I'll just paste below.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/2808XTGCLSHV/image.png

    I'd highly, highly suggest reading the wiki page on his power as it's really useful in understanding the fundamentals and giving actual values to words. Here it is:

    https://deadbydaylight.fandom.com/wiki/Pyramid_Head

    Finally, learn where you can and can't use POTD. It sounds like a simple thing but learning where you can and can't use it, however there's a lot to it. For example, learning how vertical changes affect it. Did you know if you release his power on a slope going up it'll fail, same with releasing it on a slope going down. However, if you're barely off of the slope it'll travel down it, but only if it isn't too steep.

    It's nuts but knowing where you can and can't actually have an ability is, funnily enough, pretty important.

    A few more quick-fire tips:

    • Don't just go for animation lock shots. People expect these and adapt. Be unpredictable to catch them off guard and get easy hits. Like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1k10I-zG4&feature=emb_logo

    Bet they didn't expect that one :p

    Needless to say that was where I hit a Pressure Point Of No Return and poor Jakey couldn't pick up the scraps.

    • Don't spam his power. You waste too much time. Be precise, predict, and adapt to your opponents.
    • Don't spam his trails. You move at 110% and you already lack a movement ability, you waste too much time.
    • Tunneling isn't the best strategy. I know it seems like it because cages but again, you do not have a movement ability. Survivors can and will facefuck generators and ruin your day substantially.
    • Dead Dawg Saloon and Hawkins are both maps you never press M2 on ever. Play like a default M1 killer because the map design prevents you from using your power. They're pretty much auto-loss maps, ngl, unless the survivors really badly mess up.
    • Play survivor. Learn where survivors move and how they path, shoot POTD to hit them. That's what I did in that last clip.

    And, yeah, that's about it. If people have any questions please let me know and I'll try to answer them as best I can, though I think this is comprehensive enough.

    I MADE A THREAD ABOUT THIS!! I made it in like 4.7.2 but everything I said still holds up and unless he gets some horrible bug will keep holding up in 5.2.0 (Hellraiser)!! I'd reccomend reading it all through because it's quite useful :D

    At least in my opinion and a couple of others

  • @ukenicky said:

    So I'm beginning to sink BP into PH because 1. I love him and 2. I don't actually need any other reasons so I'll just cut to the chase: I need help creating a beginner build for learning him as well as maybe a build to work into once I get better as him.

    The worst part currently is that I'm still leveling him up and trying to get the good perks I have on my main killers but you know how that goes, I'm just not getting the perks I actually want RIP but regardless this is what I'm working with currently:

    Trail of Torment / BBQ / Corrupt Intervention / Sloppy Butcher

    I've actually gotten some hilarious and clutch use out of ToT but I do intend on replacing it eventually (Probably with Tinkerer), though I wouldn't mind meming perhaps with Pop + ToT. BBQ is for BP but then I run into that awkward thing where I'm like wait, do I cage or hook? I don't get the stacks if I cage lol

    Corrupt is my only slowdown which is painful but I do love Corrupt. And Sloppy is there because I genuinely have nothing better at level 31 lol

    But what would more experienced killers (Preferably any PH mains) recommend? Is it a bad idea to run things like Pop that incentivize hooking survivors then going and kicking gens? Or really just any perk in general that is centered around hooks. I forgot just how complex he is and it's making theory crafting and creating a build to work towards very difficult lol

    Also does anyone know any well known PH players? I like watching other people play to see how it's done.

    I best build ive found for him is Discordance, pop, ruin, and lethal pursuer. This buils manly focuses on gen defence and early game downs since PH can struggle with both.


    Pop goes the weasel helps in case ruin gets destroyed however you could switch it out dor undying.


    With this build you want to be hooking someone then caging them quickly after to really quickly burn through their hook states.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    OKAY OKAY bonjour hi I'm here

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/251317/a-quick-lesson-on-how-to-play-pyramid-head-properly

    I MADE A THREAD ABOUT THIS!! I made it in like 4.7.2 but everything I said still holds up and unless he gets some horrible bug will keep holding up in 5.2.0 (Hellraiser)!! I'd reccomend reading it all through because it's quite useful :D

    At least in my opinion and a couple of others

    This is exactly the kind of guide I was looking for thank you so much!!

  • I mean, I use CI, BBQ so those Perks you have are already good.

    And my second are Monitor & Abuse and I'm all Ears.

    As a beginner, I'd probably use another slowdown instead of M&A. Monitor is my comfy Perk but it helps drastically against holding W, which is PH's biggest weakness.

    I'm all Ears is a good beginner Perk for PH and also a good PH Perk overall, shame that the cooldown is so long.