New Discovery: The SSD Fix

@Razorbeam said:

With the current hard drive stuttering that's happening on current gen consoles I decided to order a sata to USB 3 cable to wack my 500g SSD in the PS4 pro as an external drive to see if it would help the issue at all and the results were far above what I was expecting.

All performance issues, even the ones reported well before the stuttering issues have gone away and I have a perfectly stable, fps stable version of DBD which I've been playing all evening with all different killers and using perks that could cause issues (ie.sloppy butcher).

I'm sharing this here because I just want to make sure you aware this can be done with a SSD and I believe it demonstrates that a lot of the previous performance issues were also being bottlenecked from the HDD in hopes it might assist you in the future.

Here's a few videos I took of DBD running flawlessly:

Blight mobility test with lunges and a full plague game:

https://youtu.be/JZ2y3zCHRmE

https://youtu.be/RKMJGYjQxrs

Doggo game with player interaction highlights, demi's power previously made him entirely unplayable:

https://youtu.be/8rs7F9mLlWo

Slinger game with player interaction highlights, before just aiming down sights caused terrible stuttering:

https://youtu.be/unkvKf1Lyz4

This is the drive I'm using:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/B467PPV9ESIH/img-20210707-010820.jpg

I haven't experienced one stutter or loss in performance all night, and believe me I've been trying. I know this doesn't fix the problem, but given the fact that not only has it fixed the stutters but it's also fixed all previous performance complaints it's fair to say the issues have been with the HDD for a long time.

If you need any more specific testing done in game please let me know I'm happy to help.

Just drawing attention to a potential fix to performance on console.

Comments

  • It's hit or miss, the One X comes with a hybrid-SSD and still has enormous issues.

    I have the One X and bought an SSD and it did very little. All of the clips of mine that are posted after July 1st are on an external SDD.

  • Name another game that does this to a hard drive.