A dilemma I've observed when playing killer

This observation ties into frequent complaints here on the forum, such as "killers are playing sweaty" or "killer players are always using the strongest killers/addons".

Over the past few weeks, I've made an observation while playing killer that leaves me just two choices, if I want to win my matches: either camp/tunnel more and go for fewer hook states or play stronger killers.

I like playing my Plague or Doctor, but if I constantly lose out on 2-3 kills, simply because I don't have enough time against coordinated survivors to hook everyone 3 times even with short chases, there's not much else I can do than to either play more like a sweaty killer or switch to Nurse or Blight.

Either way you look at it, it's a lose-lose here. The dilemma is that neither option is preferred by survivors, since they complain about both quite regularly on the forums, but I don't have much of a choice here. I don't intend to put their fun above mine, so if I don't enjoy the game, I don't want to play it.

Thought I'd share this.

Comments

  • @Alionis said:

    This observation ties into frequent complaints here on the forum, such as "killers are playing sweaty" or "killer players are always using the strongest killers/addons".

    Over the past few weeks, I've made an observation while playing killer that leaves me just two choices, if I want to win my matches: either camp/tunnel more and go for fewer hook states or play stronger killers.

    I like playing my Plague or Doctor, but if I constantly lose out on 2-3 kills, simply because I don't have enough time against coordinated survivors to hook everyone 3 times even with short chases, there's not much else I can do than to either play more like a sweaty killer or switch to Nurse or Blight.

    Either way you look at it, it's a lose-lose here. The dilemma is that neither option is preferred by survivors, since they complain about both quite regularly on the forums, but I don't have much of a choice here. I don't intend to put their fun above mine, so if I don't enjoy the game, I don't want to play it.

    Thought I'd share this.

    To be fair, having to play extra sweaty or being forced to always play Blight or Nurse isn't something many of us killers liked doing either. Personally I hate having to play like an overly sweaty bastard in a game, and I legit hate playing Nurse. Blight I do like playing as and think he's genuinely fun, but I don't play him much cus there are other killers I enjoy more.

  • Lose out on 2-3 kills

    Lose out on 2.5 kills

    Lose out on 62.5% kill rate.

  • Funny I feel like I have to play Nurse, Spirit, and Blight super sweaty to get decent results but Give me PIG, Clown, Huntress, Fred, or Mike and most of my games are laid back relaxing slaughter fests. It's also more satisfying to get gud with killers like that instead of being a follower/whiny baby and use the top 3 only. Just my opinion though I didn't pay for your games so do you.

  • It really comes down to how you define wins. IF it is only a 4ks and 4 man escapes then you often do resort to some unfun tactics. Which, I think most of us do at the start of our careers.

    At some point, after countless 4ks or 4 man outs, and then becoming more of 50/50 player, wins may be defined differently. I now, personally play for fun. I like to be competitive, but I also play how I would live to verse. So if it's 2k with lots of chases and fun mindgames and no tunneling, then I won.

    If we get 1 or 2 people out, and I die and I feel I contributed to my teams success, leading chases away from objectives, doors, etc, then I had fun and it's a win.

  • I mean, it depends on what you consider a 'win'. Like, if you're considering a win a 4k, then I personally think that that's a bit of a high standard in the first place.

    Personally, I see a win as a 2k or more with full BBQ stacks, or an archive challenge getting completed. But everyone has different standards for a 'win', so...

  • Why do you have to 'win'?

    This is a game where the only 'lose' condition is disconnecting

  • I see a win as getting all four BBQ stacks and then a bonus if I can rancor the obsession.

    But if your new or having a bad time a simple win for me is just to get a single hook or generator done because then even if all four survivors escape at least you got one hook and that is good enough for me!


    image.png


  • Play however you want to play.

  • I just had a game earlier that 3 gens popped just as soon as I finished hooking my fist chase (30 second chase at the most). Then I get "its okay dude you wont have to tunnel once you learn demo" its like nah dude. I tunneled because you guys obviously wanted out a game so quickly lol. I don't get why survivors think its fun to do 2-3 gens before the first chase, other than trying to get a raise out of the killer to play like crap.

  • @Iliketoplaykiller said:

    I just had a game earlier that 3 gens popped just as soon as I finished hooking my fist chase (30 second chase at the most). Then I get "its okay dude you wont have to tunnel once you learn demo" its like nah dude. I tunneled because you guys obviously wanted out a game so quickly lol. I don't get why survivors think its fun to do 2-3 gens before the first chase, other than trying to get a raise out of the killer to play like crap.

    I mean, Survivors do gens as quickly as the Killer lets them. What else do you want Survivors to do, run around like headless chickens and not do the objective? But Survivors running around and goofing off would be toxic, oops... but so is repairing generators...

    I would hope that my fellow Survivors would be doing the objective while I'm being chased by the Killer. There's nothing more frustrating than being in a chase for over a minute, not having a single gen pop and then seeing my teammates while I'm on the hook and they're crouching nearby being useless.

  • @Hippie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2457841#Comment_2457841

    I mean, Survivors do gens as quickly as the Killer lets them. What else do you want Survivors to do, run around like headless chickens and not do the objective? But Survivors running around and goofing off would be toxic, oops... but so is repairing generators...

    I would hope that my fellow Survivors would be doing the objective while I'm being chased by the Killer. There's nothing more frustrating than being in a chase for over a minute, not having a single gen pop and then seeing my teammates while I'm on the hook and they're crouching nearby being useless.

    I don't know, maybe realize I'm tunneling when gens are slamming left and right and realize hey maybe I should go help my teammates body block so my friend doesn't get tunneled? Idk honestly, I hit 1 dude and downed his friend and 3 gens were already popped by the time I hooked. I don't know what else to do in this situation when I'm getting pressure on 2 dudes and gens are still flying. What else are you supposed to do other than tunnel to try to manage the rest of the gens with 4 survivors up?

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Why do you have to 'win'?

    This is a game where the only 'lose' condition is disconnecting

    LMAO!! I'm going to adopt that mentality and see how it goes.

  • I imagine the game speed is supposed to be balanced around survivors not making every skill check on generators every time. Doctor's power to make skill checks more erratic is certainly SUPPOSED to be his built-in slowdown. The problem is that skill checks are only a slowdown against newer players. Experienced survivors make every skill check every time, no matter how crazy they are.

    Really, things would sort themselves out if skill checks got HARDER the higher rank the survivor is, so by the time you hit rank 1 (or platinum 3 or whatever the new system is going to be), you had to really sweat to get those checks perfect. You know, add DIFFICULTY to the survivor gameplay experience?

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Why do you have to 'win'?

    This is a game where the only 'lose' condition is disconnecting

    OBJECTIVELY false. A lose for survivors is dying, a lose for Killers is Entity Displeased

  • @Iliketoplaykiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2457850#Comment_2457850

    I don't know, maybe realize I'm tunneling when gens are slamming left and right and realize hey maybe I should go help my teammates body block so my friend doesn't get tunneled? Idk honestly, I hit 1 dude and downed his friend and 3 gens were already popped by the time I hooked. I don't know what else to do in this situation when I'm getting pressure on 2 dudes and gens are still flying. What else are you supposed to do other than tunnel to try to manage the rest of the gens with 4 survivors up?

    I mean, trying to help my tunnelled teammate doesn't usually work because the Killer is intent on getting the tunnelled Survivor. I've had more games go south by trying to bodyblock and help, so it's not usually worth it unless I'm playing with friends. I know it's easy to suggest something like that from a Killer point of view, but maybe play Survivor for a while and get a different viewpoint on it (unless you already play Survivor, but then you would have a better understanding about what I'm saying). Obviously, not every game is going to go your way when playing either side, so it's unrealistic to expect to win every time and the map + RNG be on your side every game, so you just go on to the next game and hope it works out better. And I will say as well that I've seen tunnelling end up in a 1k + Entity Displeased rather than a 4k + win far more often for the Killer. Good Survivors will crank out gens fast when they see their teammate getting tunnelled and nothing can be done for them.

    And I honestly agree with the person who said that about Demogorgon, he is a hard Killer to learn and master but when you get good with him you don't have to resort to tunnelling, slugging or camping. Not saying you can't do those things in general, but I prefer to win the game without playing the way I hate to be played against.

  • @Hippie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2457860#Comment_2457860

    I mean, trying to help my tunnelled teammate doesn't usually work because the Killer is intent on getting the tunnelled Survivor. I've had more games go south by trying to bodyblock and help, so it's not usually worth it unless I'm playing with friends. I know it's easy to suggest something like that from a Killer point of view, but maybe play Survivor for a while and get a different viewpoint on it (unless you already play Survivor, but then you would have a better understanding about what I'm saying). Obviously, not every game is going to go your way when playing either side, so it's unrealistic to expect to win every time and the map + RNG be on your side every game, so you just go on to the next game and hope it works out better. And I will say as well that I've seen tunnelling end up in a 1k + Entity Displeased rather than a 4k + win far more often for the Killer. Good Survivors will crank out gens fast when they see their teammate getting tunnelled and nothing can be done for them.

    And I honestly agree with the person who said that about Demogorgon, he is a hard Killer to learn and master but when you get good with him you don't have to resort to tunnelling, slugging or camping. Not saying you can't do those things in general, but I prefer to win the game without playing the way I hate to be played against.

    Yea your right about the losing most tunneling games, I won that game because they kept going for solo saves. I got 2 guys death hook and then went after their boys until the EGC when I started sac'ing them. In my experience the games that the good coordinated solo q's and swfs that win will usually are the ones that are dropping gens especially at 1-2 gens and going to body block. I'll usually go after the unhooker but if they dipset from their teammate they just unhooked I'm going to tunnel. Especially when they are running into my face. I'm not saying I'm the best demo but I have a really good understanding on game mechanics and his shreds.