The biggest issue the game will ever have

The balance of the game. The devs barely ever address the big issues of the game, and they barely do something to spice up the META. They never address camping, tunneling, slugging, gen speeds etc.

Let's analyze stuff a bit.

#1: Perks/addons/offerings/items that are never changed. Monstruous Shrine has been the same since release. Everyone literally says how bad it is, yet the devs couldn't care less about it. Sole Survivor or No Mither have been bottom tier since always and I don't think they were ever adressed. Then when you look at the META, perks like dh, adrenaline, ub etc. are barely ever touched. Toolboxes are still plain useless, same with flaslight addons and 90% of iri addons for killers. Offerings still fill bloodwebs while stuff like reagents do utterly NOTHING. They never spice things up.

#2: Not adressing fundamental issues. If I remember correctly, the gen speeds were changed ONCE and that was in 2017 spring, alongside the game menu ui change. Camping was only adressed twice and only once the change made it thorugh, via emblem loss. The rest have been only band-aid "fixed" with perks, which is obviously not the right thing to do.

Lastly, I would like to say why camping, tunneling, gen rushing etc. are issues. "They are legitimate strategies, so you gotta deal with it". In any other game with proper balance teams, whenever the game gains annoying or toxic strategies (and yes Mandy, I said toxic because they only generate salt and hatred towards the other side) (also I don't judge people that use the strategies, I judge the existence of the strategy) the devs try to make them far less rewarding. If in a shooter game, burst damage becomes far too popular and annoying to fight, the devs make sustained damage more rewarding to spice up things.

All of these issues, in the long run, only intoxicate the minds of the players.

Do not move this in feedback in suggestions, I don't give feedback or suggest anything, I only want to see if people agree with what I said. I want a discussion on this matter.

Comments

  • The main issue of the game is SWF. Basically nothing surpasses SWF in sense of being problematic for the game's balance. You can fight camping, counter slugging, play around tunneling, but you can't counter SWF sweatsquads on comms. Having one part of survivor pool playing in soloQ and another one playing with legal cheats in the same game makes it impossible to balance at all. Make survivors stronger - killers will suffer from SWF, make survivors weaker - solo survivors will suffer from killers. They just can't exist by the same rules in the same game and be balanced in any way.

  • @Junylar said:

    The main issue of the game is SWF. Basically nothing surpasses SWF in sense of being problematic for the game's balance. You can fight camping, counter slugging, play around tunneling, but you can't counter SWF sweatsquads on comms. Having one part of survivor pool playing in soloQ and another one playing with legal cheats in the same game makes it impossible to balance at all. Make survivors stronger - killers will suffer from SWF, make survivors weaker - solo survivors will suffer from killers. They just can't exist by the same rules in the same game and be balanced in any way.

    The one way to balance this is by making solo Q as close as possible to SWF's power level, and buff killers alongside.

  • Gens were changed.... a couple of times I think. I know they were definitely changed around 2018 - 2019.

    You know, the deprogression when multiple survivors are on a gen.

    I started around 2018, I only remember two

  • The biggest issue the game has is optimization, especially for console. None of the above matters if you can't even play the game to begin with.

  • Nah, the biggest problem in this game is the sense of entitlement that people have and not being able to accept the fact that they’re not always going to win.

  • @JacksonWise said:

    The biggest issue the game has is optimization, especially for console. None of the above matters if you can't even play the game to begin with.

    That's not an issue I have so I can't relate, however I 100% agree it should be fixed. That is however still linked to my post, regarding the fact that devs don't adress fundamental issues of the game.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    Nah, the biggest problem in this game is the sense of entitlement that people have and not being able to accept the fact that they’re not always going to win.

    I'm fine with losing as long as I have fun. Just had a match in which our Yui suicided after getting caught first, Leon suicided too and Bill died soon after. I was left on a Billy 1v1. He chased me for 5 minutes while I was desperate for the hatch. He eventually got me when the map was left without pallets. I died, but I still left the trial with a smile on my face because that 5 min chase sure was fun. Lose or win, I still had fun.

    Can't say the same about a game in which a Myers grabs me off the gen at 5 gens and I get facecamped while my team mates play Genphobia Locker Simulator 2021.

  • The Biggest issue this game has is other Survivors wont cleanse Dull totems.

  • @Pukenplag said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2412418#Comment_2412418

    I'm fine with losing as long as I have fun. Just had a match in which our Yui suicided after getting caught first, Leon suicided too and Bill died soon after. I was left on a Billy 1v1. He chased me for 5 minutes while I was desperate for the hatch. He eventually got me when the map was left without pallets. I died, but I still left the trial with a smile on my face because that 5 min chase sure was fun. Lose or win, I still had fun.

    Can't say the same about a game in which a Myers grabs me off the gen at 5 gens and I get facecamped while my team mates play Genphobia Locker Simulator 2021.

    But that’s the thing, the first person who DCd felt entitled to leave because the match didn’t go their way. Then everyone else felt entitled to leave because they didn’t even want to give it a try just because they thought it would be too difficult.

    Myers camping you may not be fun(I agree), especially at five gens, isn’t really the problem. Your chicken teammates who are allergic to the gens are. If they’d power through them and give the killer their 1or 2 kills tops, the killer would be less likely to camp. The reason killers camp at 5 gens is because survivors feed into it. They know that the teammates will usually feel sorry for the hooked person and try for the rescue, which can often lead to 3 or 4k.

    It sucks, but it is what it is. There will always be an unfun aspect to a game such as this because it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to balance 4 vs 1 while not making either side too strong.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2412427#Comment_2412427

    But that’s the thing, the first person who DCd felt entitled to leave because the match didn’t go their way. Then everyone else felt entitled to leave because they didn’t even want to give it a try just because they thought it would be too difficult.

    Myers camping you may not be fun(I agree), especially at five gens, isn’t really the problem. Your chicken teammates who are allergic to the gens are. If they’d power through them and give the killer their 1or 2 kills tops, the killer would be less likely to camp. The reason killers camp at 5 gens is because survivors feed into it. They know that the teammates will usually feel sorry for the hooked person and try for the rescue, which can often lead to 3 or 4k.

    It sucks, but it is what it is. There will always be an unfun aspect to a game such as this because it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to balance 4 vs 1 while not making either side too strong.

    However it is possible to make camping and tunneling far less rewarding. These are strategies that ruin the other side's fun and shouldn't exist.


    As you said, it is hard to balance an asymetrical game, but it is even more so when you don't even try.

    Try to explain Monstruous Shrine as an example.