Concern over free Hillbilly cosmetic
I understand this is a bit unusual to complain about free stuff, but please hear me out:
There's a cosmetic on the new Tome VIII belonging to the Hillbilly on the free track that (with exception to the weapon) is simply a retexturing of the "Buoy on the Beach" outfit.
Now, I haven't got "Buoy on the Beach", but if I were considering to purchase this, there is absolutely no reason to now, given I can get a free one with a cooler weapon on this free track, so it's an unusual business move to have thought of this.
However, the bigger issue has been brought up by another forum member Mushwin, who says a purchase was made of "Buoy On The Beach", but now Aurics were used to pay for it and to find a slightly retextured version now being offered for free to everyone, it makes light of those who would pay good money for unique outfit ideas. The same reason that when rift outfits eventually come to the store, I'd believe the free track outfits ought to be the only ones purchaseable with Iridescent Shards, and the paid track outfits payable by Auric Cells only.
It feels a little like buying a brand new item on the week it comes out, only to dramatically have the price reduced shortly afterwards - it feels a little inconsiderate to those who have paid to support you, when someone like myself who hasn't paid for the outfit can get a better-textured free one now.
Please may you take this matter into consideration for future rift cosmetics. If you do have retextured versions of Auric Cell outfits, put them on the paid track in future. Freebies like myself don't mind getting a very basic recolouration of a 900 shard outfit. I'm hopeful you don't wish to devalue the players who spend good money on your creations.
Thank you for reading.
Comments
It's kinda like the clowns elephant costume. Also, I unlocked the clown after I earned elephant stuff on the rift. As a result, I never got my elephant head or outfit.
Yeah, I reckon this isn't really fair. Besides, what's really odd is that actually they would be making money if they were to do things this way, so whoever is in charge of pricing these cosmetics is doing a poor job - missing out on a money-making opportunity such as this.
Oddly, it's the one time a company can squeeze extra money out of its customers, and be seen as both fair and legitimately doing so! It does feel like a unusual business-making decisions.
I'd agree with you. I'd also add that they're using a system that does work, even if it's not as lucrative as the one you've described. Marketing at BHVR has Mathieu Cote and his original team to thank for the foundation laid out; the structure put on top of that mad genius's foundation isn't nearly built to the same standards.
Imo, every survivor should have been shipped free with 3 color palates of the original skin and every killer should have had one inverted color palate of the original skin; this would have incentivized more mixing and matching the variety that iridescent and auric currencies can provide.
The stuff everyone got for free over the years is kind of a lot box of weirdly placed goods and kinda meaningless. I.e. The dog mom mask never should have been shipped out for free, because true dog moms were truly terrifying.
Same goes for Nurse's recolor outfit: Head and Weapon are taken from the Phantom of the Opera skin, and the dress is a red version of one of the wedding dresses. Although i don't remember if it was free or not.
That would be a glitch, if true. Cosmetics you unlock on the Rift or in-game for characters you don't yet have access to are supposed to be available once you obtain those characters.
Also, not sure why everyone is complaining about this now when they've been doing it since the very first Rift. Recolors of store cosmetics is one of the only good things the Free Track of the Rift still delivers imo.
Yea that was true for Kate stuff I think. I had her friendly backpack outfit before I unlocked her but I didn't get the elephant stuff
I'll be honest: This is the first time that this issue was drawn to my attention, and I've never noticed it before, nor really thought about it until now. That's why I never mentioned this before.
I think the difference is that this is a barely recoloured version of an auric cells only cosmetic. Usuallly the recolours are on cosmetics that either can be bought with Iridescent shards or don't look almost identical. Neas blonde hair in the tome for example is clearly different from the green version and so would be less frustrating for anyone who paid money for it. If they had just made it a very slightly different shade of green it would be annoying to be given away free if you had just paid for it.
this is why I never buy an older cosmetics before a new rift is released just in case a recolour appears in the rift.