Autodidact - a little boost?
Change my mind.
I play with autodidact last several games and realized, that this perk is mostly weak and unstable. If you have LUCK, you will stuck 5 or 6 tokens and got the bonus. But...
- you must heal almost ALL injured survs
- you musn´t use medkit
- you must GOT SKILLCHECK
And the last thing is problem. You must got skillcheck. I counted games which I didnt stuck game for all time. (only 2-3 tokens). I also counted heals, which I didnt get any skillchecks. So how should I stuck my perk?
All it needs is increase the chance of skillchecks. Few percent would be enough.
Comments
Yeah the skillchecks are inconsistent, that's my main issue while using that perk.
Either I get 4 skillchecks on the very first heal and then every heal after that is super fast because it gives me the full bonus with each skillcheck.. or I go 2-3 heals with only one or two skillchecks and the first one pops up when I'm at 90% so I go back down to 65.
But other than that it's probably my favorite healing perk if I have healing dailies or challenges to do, or feel like doing altruism.
In the vast majority of matches, Autodidact is a very fun perk, but it helps the killer more than it helps the survivors.
What I'd suggest for an Autodidact buff: When healing a survivor without a medkit for at least three seconds, press the active ability button to set skill check chance to 100% for one second. 30 second cooldown.
This guarantees at least one skill check every 30 seconds.
Only problem I have with that is.. unhook a Jill (or someone with her 50% heal), touch them for 3 seconds, action button, insta-heal
Or squads that all have autodidact.. double heal someone within seconds (assuming they're both at 5 stacks)
Maybe have autodidact do like the needle and thread medkit add-on
Or maybe slightly.. wouldnt want skillchecks to happen *too often* either, it would make the perk a bit broken
The situations you describe are unbelievably niche and hardcore built for. I think we can afford letting that slide for a perk that is incredibly helpful to the killer in almost all other situations.
Moderately increases Healing Skill Check Trigger odds.
That doesn't fix the problem of Autodidact's excessive RNG dependence in the slightest.
No, but unless you revamp the entire perk, it's still a perk that gives you an instant 50% healing, bypassing any slowdown perks the killer might have. Yes, it's 100% RNG dependant. But if you make it less dependant on that, they'd need to make it less effective as well.
No, they don't. Autodidact, as is, slows down your healing dramatically, on average. At 4 skillchecks, it has still slowed you down more than it has helped you. Improving its average output would simply make it functional.
And keep in mind that it is in direct competition with three other healing support perks, one of which grants roughly the same bonus, with -zero- RNG reliance and almost no build-up.
Because in the instance you mentioned of Jill getting plucked off the hook and healed to full in 3 seconds, guess what'd happen if the unhooker was running We'll Make It instead? And that one has -no- set-up prior to the unhook.
Then just run We'll Make It?
Yes, overall, it's been proven that running Botany Knowledge is more efficient through the course of the match VS Autodidact. But guess what? I don't use Autodidact for overall efficiency from start to finish, I run it to get super fast heals later in the game.
And making it work too well would make it super broken. Just one skillcheck during an entire heal still shaves half the time. Yes, sometimes you don't get any skillchecks at all, or super late into the heal, but most of the time you get one early enough for it to matter.
My point is: we're not even close to making it run 'too well'. At five skillchecks, its overall performance is 10%, lower than Desperate Measures' -absolute worst performance-.
At its absolute best, it might, -might-, just barely overtake We'll Make It. So if that thing is not a problem, why would Autodidact be one?
And keep in mind that Autodidact:
1) Doesn't work on yourself
2) Doesn't work with medkits
3) Has no other bonuses.
In comparison to Botany, which does work with medkits, does work on yourself, and boosts medkit efficiency.
In comparison to Desperate Measures, which does work with medkits, which does work on yourself, and which also boosts unhook speed.
If the other healing support perks are balanced, then we can safely allow Autodidact to more consistently reach at least 5 stacks without any concern.
Autodidact has a -very- long way to go before it can be a problem. Giving it at least one skillcheck every thirty seconds (provided there's a healing opportunity) would really not push it over the edge.
What it would do is remove the frustration of the game arbitrarily deciding that the perk is just not going to work. Something that will be exacerbated if the skillcheck chance is increased, since that just makes it feel even more unfair when you clear a heal without a skillcheck.
If I use we will make it, situation is worse. I tryed it, but I had LESS skillcheck so AD didnt stuck. Also I had situation that I finally got 5 stuck and then I healed 2 surv WITHOUT skillcheck or with skillcheck on 90% bar. So completely useless.
I played with autodidact last 7 games and count skillcheck. More than half games ended with AD 3 stacks. It wasnt usefull. So I repeat. AD should be buffed.
It's one of those perks you have to go out of your way to make useful.
Bring Empathy alongside it, and go out of your way to unhook/heal people..you'll make great use of it
That's not really 'making great use of it', that's more 'soft-throwing the game to try and make the perk not suck'.
All other heal boosting perks don't require this kind of approach, and those perks are way more consistent and aren't far behind Autodidact in terms of output. In fact, I'd say even Botany has a way higher average output.
Then run those perks if they're that much better,
Oh, I do. Another benefit, as mentioned earlier, is that those tend to stack together and synergise, while Autodidact gets mostly cancelled out by other healing booster perks, so they're easier to fit in builds too.
But Autodidact absolutely deserves a buff, because while it is the most fun healing perk, it is also by far one of the worst perks in the game and is far more likely to help the killer than it is to help the survivors.