Why is survivor toxicity so funny to this community, but.....

Why do people think it’s funny for survivors to be toxic, but it killers? Why do people watch survivors acting toxic, or even act toxic themselves, and think it’s the funniest #########? But as soon as a killer starts being toxic, everyone gets all butthurt and hurls insults at them telling them how much of a toxic piece of ######### they are? Why is it funny one way, and not the other?

Comments

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291171#Comment_2291171

    LOL I like that you changed your avatar to Elodie after all that. Well, you did say that you wanted to be beautiful and refreshing. :)

    I agree, there's too much negativity regarding this game. Way too much. Way too many heated arguments about so many things, many of them so incredibly petty. In a world where so much is wrong, it's a shame that more people can't just enjoy a game together.

    Funnily enough, this reminds me of a match I played about 24 hours ago. It was only my 3rd or 4th 4K (again, I rarely play killers and when I do, I'm usually relatively peaceful). I've been learning the Doctor and becoming a little more comfortable with him, so I raised some of his levels and got some extra stuff to see how he'd be once he powered up a bit. It was a good close match, very back and forth, until before I realized it I'd managed to hook two people and down the third. It dawned on me that all of a sudden, just like that, the match could be close to over. There was one gen left. What do I do?

    I don't like camping so I ran around a bit but the hooks were close so I didn't stray too far as I carried the third survivor to her hook. By this time the other two players died and I began looking for the fourth. Soon enough, the third survivor died. Was the fourth survivor hiding? Eventually I heard groans and found her on the ground. At some point I'd managed to slug her and didn't realize it. I remembered the last time I'd hit her and thought that she managed to jump through a window and run off. The poor girl had apparently been crawling around for at least a minute and I honestly didn't know. I felt bad.

    I got her up and started walking to the nearest hook which, given the last deaths, was a bit distant. As I walked I thought "she's probably gonna wiggle free. What should I do if she does"? Normally I play for fun and goofing around when I'm the killer, but this time I was testing my actual skill with one and doing well. Before I could really come to an answer she got loose and started running. Instinctively I went after her. "This will be one of my only 4Ks, and I'm actually recording this one. I should take her out and have this match as a keepsake". I caught up quickly and downed her. I hooked her and felt even worse.

    My point? I got a 4K and felt guilty. And to be honest, I still do!

    Awww!

    Well thats very rare to feel guilty for getting a 4K. (Rare in a good way, I mean)

    I’m a very nurturing person in general (maybe you are too) so I tend to have a lot of pity on Survivors when I play Killer, especially because I know how it feels to have a rushed and unfun experience being a Survivor Main. I, too rarely play Killer because its so pressuring and intimidating to me so just like you, I usually play friendly trials just to have fun wholesome matches. It was sweet of you to consider the game ending too fast and stalling a bit. Congrats on the 4K by the way! 💜


    Edit: I love Elodie as a character btw xD her and Claudette are the only characters I can really identify with since they’re both of African American decent.

  • @coaltrain503 said:

    Why do people think it’s funny for survivors to be toxic, but it killers? Why do people watch survivors acting toxic, or even act toxic themselves, and think it’s the funniest #########? But as soon as a killer starts being toxic, everyone gets all butthurt and hurls insults at them telling them how much of a toxic piece of ######### they are? Why is it funny one way, and not the other?

    Define toxic.


    The only thing I view as Toxic is hate mail, snd thats hilarious no matter who its coming from. I dont see smacking tge survivor on hook as toxic, i think its hilarious both when it happens to me and when I do it. So what is it that killers are doing that you view as toxic that people should find funny?

  • @Unicorn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291193#Comment_2291193

    Awww!

    Well thats very rare to feel guilty for getting a 4K. (Rare in a good way, I mean)

    I’m a very nurturing person in general (maybe you are too) so I tend to have a lot of pity on Survivors when I play Killer, especially because I know how it feels to have a rushed and unfun experience being a Survivor Main. I, too rarely play Killer because its so pressuring and intimidating to me so just like you, I usually play friendly trials just to have fun wholesome matches. It was sweet of you to consider the game ending too fast and stalling a bit. Congrats on the 4K by the way! 💜

    Well thank you but really, I'm not sure if I deserve it. I feel bad for the poor player who had to slug (I would never allow someone to remain slugged, I honestly don't know how I missed downing her) and then, after sitting there for however long she had to, crawling around and seeing every other player die one after the next, THEN get that final chance to escape, I really do feel like a heel for hooking her. I know it's the point of the game, I just don't like that it turned out that way. I rarely play killer, when I do play killer I rarely play aggressively, and when I do I'm rarely experienced enough to get a 4K, so I guess it was just wanting to finally get one recorded that led me to go ahead and finish the match, but looking back she's exactly the kind of survivor who I think should have been given the mercy escape. I even apologized after the match but they were either on console or had already moved on, there was no response.

    I'm the world's nicest killer, I swear. Lol.

    But yeah, Elodie's cool, and I've used Claudette hundreds and hundreds of times. It's weird, I'm a straight member of the community but I find it more fun to use female survivors for some reason. I think I have more sympathy for them? I'm not sure.

    You don't feel that you can relate to Adam and Tapp?

  • @MrsGhostface said:

    Why do a lot of killer mains on here love victimizing themselves

    Not victimizing myself, pointing out people’s double standards.

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291259#Comment_2291259

    Well thank you but really, I'm not sure if I deserve it. I feel bad for the poor player who had to slug (I would never allow someone to remain slugged, I honestly don't know how I missed downing her) and then, after sitting there for however long she had to, crawling around and seeing every other player die one after the next, THEN get that final chance to escape, I really do feel like a heel for hooking her. I know it's the point of the game, I just don't like that it turned out that way. I rarely play killer, when I do play killer I rarely play aggressively, and when I do I'm rarely experienced enough to get a 4K, so I guess it was just wanting to finally get one recorded that led me to go ahead and finish the match, but looking back she's exactly the kind of survivor who I think should have been given the mercy escape. I even apologized after the match but they were either on console or had already moved on, there was no response.

    I'm the world's nicest killer, I swear. Lol.

    But yeah, Elodie's cool, and I've used Claudette hundreds and hundreds of times. It's weird, I'm a straight member of the community but I find it more fun to use female survivors for some reason. I think I have more sympathy for them? I'm not sure.

    You don't feel that you can relate to Adam and Tapp?

    In a way I do feel I can relate to them, but I personally love female characters and since I am a female myself, its easier to identify with Elodie and Claud more.

    But if you want to talk more, I will post on your wall so we don’t continue to flood this thread xD Just let me know!!

  • @Unicorn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291363#Comment_2291363

    In a way I do feel I can relate to them, but I personally love female characters and since I am a female myself, its easier to identify with Elodie and Claud more.

    But if you want to talk more, I will post on your wall so we don’t continue to flood this thread xD Just let me know!!

    Sure, feel free to post on my page anytime. I'm always up for a good discussion!

  • I mean, I see youtubers, Monto or noob3 for example, doing "Toxic (insert killer here videos)" often. You don't think they would do those if they didn't gain any traction, do you? Even streamers will take in requests and get viewers requesting "toxic killer builds."

    Not saying the situations you discussed in your post don't happen of course, but I honestly see it from both sides. People are always that way, inside DbD and outside of it, in other parts of life. People are just sick and twisted.

  • I don't know what you mean by survivor and killer toxicity, but if we're going by what everyone else calls toxic then it would be teabagging/flashlights and tunneling/camping/slugging, right? If so, tunneling/camping can take someone's game away from them and you can't ignore it as survivor, the killer is taking away your chance to participate even though it isn't a personal thing. Clicking and teabagging is easy to ignore after a while, and can't really affect your game-play. For the record though I do find stuff like hitting on hook or nodding on the ground funny, which fits the definition of toxic better than tunneling n stuff.

  • @MrsGhostface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2290633#Comment_2290633

    BBQ is fine? I’ve never had anything bad to say about it especially back then so I don’t see myself getting into an argument against it. There are plenty of gf names on here so probably was not me

    "Too much reward with minimal requirement"

  • @MrsGhostface said:

    Why do a lot of killer mains on here love victimizing themselves

    this isn't killer mains victimizing themselves. it's someone pointing out a clear double standard. Both sides play the victim game a hell of a lot. Survivors are just more vocal about it.


    I play on both sides and yes It can feel like each side is being attacked by the other and not in the game sense.


    The OP is right though. If survivors play really dirty and it's played for laughs and entertainment but if a killer does it ohhh Harumph this game is bad and killers are OP! it's been that way since day one and they only ones who can change that attitude is us as players. or the devs actually punishing survivors for poor behavior but I don't see that happening.

  • @Unicorn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2290819#Comment_2290819

    She kicked the friendly Victor and got punished for it. Make excuses all you want, but the Killer made it clear they weren’t okay with it and we supported that.

    Sue me.

    That's teamming with the killer.

  • @Unicorn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291072#Comment_2291072

    We’re looking at it from two different point of views. You’re approaching with legality and I’m approaching with morale.

    You’re backing your argument up with whether or not its legal for someone to farm and I’m speaking on whether or not its right to kick a Victor who did nothing but play friendly the entire match.

    I mean, if someone approached with a gift and you accepted, would you spit in their face after accepting? (Not to make this into a serious matter, just trying to explain the way I saw it in my eyes)

    Morale doesn't matter. Ya'll literally ganged up on someone for using a game mechanic.

  • All of you crying about anyone being "toxic" need to go outside and talk to some real human beings and stop letting your feelings be hurt by pixels.

  • @Unicorn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291017#Comment_2291017

    You are actively defending someone about “not wanting to farm” when all they did was farm happily. I was in the game with them, I witnessed everything. Don’t get what you don’t understand about that.

    It happens a lot when killer act like they want to farm but kill you when the 5th gen has popped, that could be what she was thinking.

    You should’ve saved her because she did nothing wrong

  • @van9684 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/259333/why-is-survivor-toxicity-so-funny-to-this-community-but

    Survivors being toxic isn’t game breaking where as with killer, they can take an entire game hostage if they’re in a bad mood. Survivors play to have fun. Killers play to get a 4K. It will never be fully balanced as the grind is so much different between killer and survivor. It’s refreshing to see a good survivor or survivor team.

    That is fundamentally and factually wrong though.

    A killer can never hold a game hostage at all. He has absolutely no power over the length of the match. The only party who can control the flow of time within a match are the survivors.

    If a killer camps someone you can still do gens and finish the game. Dying on hook takes 2 minutes. If survivors are efficient they could theoretically and without toolboxes and perks, fully repair 4 gens during this time. Yes, they could do that. 80 Seconds for a single survivor to repair a gen on his own. Takes this x3 and you have 3 gens repaired in 80 seconds. It takes 3 survivors 38 seconds to repair one gen. That's 4 gens in 118 seconds which is 2 seconds short of someone dying on a hook. Of course you would have to calculate in the time to run to those gens but you also have to calculate in the time it takes the killer to down a survivor and hook him.

    I know, this doesn't happen in 99,9% of the games, but it's possible.


    BTT: Even if the killer slugs everyone the game will within 4 minutes.


    Survivors are the only role that can completely hold the game hostage with 0 progression being possible by repairing 4 gens fully and the last gen to 99%. After that they can just hide or (if they're good enough) loop the killer for an eternity.

    No matter what the killer does - the game will either end by itself or can be finished by survivors.

  • I think when you guys say "victimizing yourself" you mean "playing the victim." Victimizing yourself would mean that you attacked yourself somehow.

    Anyway -- I agree that there's a subculture in this community that seems to think being toxic survivors is funny, and I think it has to do with SWF and the streaming culture. Having an audience can encourage people to show off and embolden them to do stuff they wouldn't do otherwise. Killers can have a streaming audience, but they don't have friends in the game with them the same way survivors do, so I think that's part of the difference.

  • This is a community issue, not a survivor only issue.

  • Just ask yourself: When was the last time that you would give a struggling Killer a hook (or a Kill) on purpose.

    So he doesnt leave the match with nothing...

  • I'm getting really sick of these daily killer vs survivor posts, both sides have toxicity it's just that you're more likely to see it from survivors because there are 4 of them.

  • @bobateo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291095#Comment_2291095

    Morale doesn't matter. Ya'll literally ganged up on someone for using a game mechanic.

    @aroell said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2291026#Comment_2291026

    It happens a lot when killer act like they want to farm but kill you when the 5th gen has popped, that could be what she was thinking.

    You should’ve saved her because she did nothing wrong

    Thanks you 3, but I already came to this conclusion with @miketheratguy.

    The conversation has been done for 2 days now.

1 2 ›