Why DBD solo survivor is...

My best horror themed experience.

Don't want to ramble on into an essay, so I'll start with my bullet points;

1. The opposition is not a limited AI designed to be beaten

2. Teammates can be a mix of strong focused allies or weak panicky dead weight

3. Even the best preparation can leave you in moments of confusion or uncertainty

4. Risk factor can force you to make tough decisions with fatal consequences for yourself and teammates

5. Killer add-ons can make the same killer feel completely different from a previous encounter.

6. Killer variety when present, can force you to alter personal approach to interactions

7. Limited resources in key areas raise the necessity to minimize early mistakes

8. There is no guarantee of redemption from a players first failure

9. Playing the martyr actually feels rewarding since you can see the results and it's not for an NPC

10. Escaping chase is a result of playing well and not a designated action to secure safety (some loops don't apply)

Comments

  • I really love playing solo as well. Dunno why people hating it so much, I don't get useless teammates nearly as often as I get decent ones. And its super fun and relaxing.

    Only thing that bothers me is low amount of BP gains

  • Yeah I play solo 95% of the time unless I have an actual friend that want's to go on which is rarely the case bc non of them play this game. I find swf groups get to sweaty an it sometimes takes ages to find a group an ready up on top of that every one mostly uses the same perks and it gets redundant pretty quick.

  • @DemonDaddy said:

    My best horror themed experience.

    Don't want to ramble on into an essay, so I'll start with my bullet points;

    1. The opposition is not a limited AI designed to be beaten

    2. Teammates can be a mix of strong focused allies or weak panicky dead weight

    3. Even the best preparation can leave you in moments of confusion or uncertainty

    4. Risk factor can force you to make tough decisions with fatal consequences for yourself and teammates

    5. Killer add-ons can make the same killer feel completely different from a previous encounter.

    6. Killer variety when present, can force you to alter personal approach to interactions

    7. Limited resources in key areas raise the necessity to minimize early mistakes

    8. There is no guarantee of redemption from a players first failure

    9. Playing the martyr actually feels rewarding since you can see the results and it's not for an NPC

    10. Escaping chase is a result of playing well and not a designated action to secure safety (some loops don't apply)

    I like it for the most part. I’ve had a lot of really toxic killer players the last two days which has made it rough, but maybe it’s due to rank reset.

  • I always play solo. It just puts a lot of responsibility on you alone and it's really easy to get hit by the bystander effect.

    I enjoy that though. If the game is going poorly I just play even more recklessly than usual to get yeeted into the sky. However sometimes that recklessness is rewarded with an escape. You never know.

    ...and I like that.

  • I've been playing more solo myself lately, owing to changed work schedules with members of the group I'd normally SWF with -- and to my pleasant surprise, the experience has been great. My escape rate (at Red Rank) has actually been better as a solo, surprisingly enough. It's a small sample size, but I've been getting out in probably 70% of my solo rounds. Some have been against overmatched killers, but a lot have been against really good Red Rank killers running meta builds.

    I've chalked it up to a combination of really solid teammates (no idea if I'm ending up as the 4th wheel with 3-person SWF groups, or if we're all running solo) and playing more cautiously on my end than when I play as part of my own SWF group (where I think I tend to be more careless and pay for it at times). In any case, it's a reminder of when I first started playing the game, and it's been a fun challenge. Every escape has felt rewarding, more so as a solo than when I'm part of a group.

  • I honestly don't have issues with solo I've been a solo only player since day 1