Lag switching... what?

So, a legitimate question here.

For two games (out of 30+) as a killer, I have been accused of lag switching. I know and understand what lag switching is, but it is something that I do not do. I am sure people will be like "yeah whatever," but this is something I am shooting towards vets of the game (I only have 100 hours on this, so I am fairly "new").

Is my internet connection seriously that bad? I am hard lined into my modem and the only thing that's off is my wife is watching Netflix during this time. Does the computer have something to do with this? Or is it Internet only? This ironically only happens with my Hag games (as I am a Hag main) where I am able to teleport and swat people fairly quickly. Are survivors just being whiners or is something actually off about my connection? Two games out of thirty plus seems fairly strange to me (especially when I get stomped by a SWF group), but I am hoping you guys will have a few answers for me.

Comments

  • Oof, this is a a hard problem to solve.
    It's worth noting that since it's a peer-to-peer platform and the Survivors are connecting to you, all the stress and tension of the bandwith being used is put on you as you have to support four other people on your own. Other than that, I don't have too many answers, though it does sound like something certain Survivors would do, lie about lag.

  • I used to have this issue too until I improved my internet. I actually started as a killer main but switched to a survivor main until I improved my internet speed. Dedicated servers is what we need, and though it’s been said it won’t likely happen I think they only way to get them is to constantly persist.

    It happens a lot of the ps4, and if the killer isn’t lag switching then I find it inappropriate for them to host a game that severely cripples survivors by causing them to teleport because of poor internet.

    I don’t think it should be the responsibility of the killer to be concerned with this though, and it’s something the developers need to fix.

  • My friend is a survivor who likes to accuse killers of lag switching, but half the time I'm pretty sure it's his internet that's bad, not the killer's. Unless multiple people accuse you in the same game, it might not even be your fault.

    Also, this is just an educated guess but it's likely that things that are high-intensity for the CPU, like teleporting as hag or entering a chase, will also put extra strain on the connection because of the extra information it's trying to upload and cause lag spikes. A lot of survivors, especially paranoid ones like my friend, will perceive those spikes as you enter a chase as you lag switching.

    Long story short, getting a better internet connection will probably help, but no your connection is probably not that bad, and honestly the likelihood is that it isn't really even your fault.

  • @Divinitye9 said:
    So, a legitimate question here.

    For two games (out of 30+) as a killer, I have been accused of lag switching. I know and understand what lag switching is, but it is something that I do not do. I am sure people will be like "yeah whatever," but this is something I am shooting towards vets of the game (I only have 100 hours on this, so I am fairly "new").

    Is my internet connection seriously that bad? I am hard lined into my modem and the only thing that's off is my wife is watching Netflix during this time. Does the computer have something to do with this? Or is it Internet only? This ironically only happens with my Hag games (as I am a Hag main) where I am able to teleport and swat people fairly quickly. Are survivors just being whiners or is something actually off about my connection? Two games out of thirty plus seems fairly strange to me (especially when I get stomped by a SWF group), but I am hoping you guys will have a few answers for me.

    Salty survivors will always accuse you of laggswitching when there wasnt a perfect 20ms connection.
    Depends on your download volume, but in fact netflix can indeed affect your multiplayer experience.

    Lets put it this way, are you able to play any other multiplayer game while your wife watchs netflix? If the answer is yes and you dont teleport around during the stream, then it should be fine.

  • I appreciate the feedback. Was honestly more than I was expecting on forums.

    to answer the question, I 99% of the time have no issues while she is watching netflix. On very rare occasions I will, and that just requires me to restart the modem, but those are not common instances. I actually felt one lag spike in one of those games, but it hurt me as well. 

    Who knows, could just be freak occurrences since charter (spectrum, whatever) is known to have very finicky internet.  
  • @Divinitye9 it very definitely is your Internet connection; however, that doesn't mean that it is bad. As others have stated, when you are killer, you are the host. Every survivor is sending you telemetry, and you are sending telemetry to every survivor. That is a lot of data for a connection that may already be overtaxed due to video streaming. In fact, many "so-called" streamers cause this lagg themselves, due to their upload stream.

    FYI, 99.999% of the people on the Internet have an asymmetrical connection, meaning that their upload BW is a fraction of their download BW. If either BW limitation is exceeded, packet loss occurs, which has the EXACT same effect that lagg switching does. You seem to be one of the rare players who gives a rats ass, and would like to fix it, if you can. Here are some options:

    1. For now, don't stream any videos, download files, etc., while you are playing killer. And be aware that if you do this as survivor, you will not have a good experience either.
    2. Contact your ISP to see if you can increase both the upload and download BW of your connection. Be aware that a single HD stream requires ~9.6Mb/sec download, and as much as 10% of that for upload.
    3. Switch to a different ISP, which is not always an option.

    Best of luck!

  • I've wondered if people were. Like a terriable game where me and my team were bouncing around back and forth. We called the killer laggy haggy at the end of the game. She got a 4k but ever since it has never been that bad. she must have had 1000 ping. Wow she hit me from probably half the killers shack away and even licked her nails from there. But I was where she hit me. It didn't jump back... for once. 
  • Kaelum said:

    @Divinitye9 it very definitely is your Internet connection; however, that doesn't mean that it is bad. As others have stated, when you are killer, you are the host. Every survivor is sending you telemetry, and you are sending telemetry to every survivor. That is a lot of data for a connection that may already be overtaxed due to video streaming. In fact, many "so-called" streamers cause this lagg themselves, due to their upload stream.

    FYI, 99.999% of the people on the Internet have an asymmetrical connection, meaning that their upload BW is a fraction of their download BW. If either BW limitation is exceeded, packet loss occurs, which has the EXACT same effect that lagg switching does. You seem to be one of the rare players who gives a rats ass, and would like to fix it, if you can. Here are some options:

    1. For now, don't stream any videos, download files, etc., while you are playing killer. And be aware that if you do this as survivor, you will not have a good experience either.
    2. Contact your ISP to see if you can increase both the upload and download BW of your connection. Be aware that a single HD stream requires ~9.6Mb/sec download, and as much as 10% of that for upload.
    3. Switch to a different ISP, which is not always an option.

    Best of luck!

    Well when I play and if I “win” I want it to be on as fair footing as possible. I know P2P will never truly be 100% fair, but I want each game to be as enjoyable as possible.

    Thanks to your advice I have contacted my ISP and have boosted my net speed. Aside from DBD purposes it still fuels all entertainment in the house, so it’s a net gain all around.