How I Would Fix Gen Speeds

(Note; this is a proof of concept. All numbers are subject to change, if they are listed at all)

My idea would be thus:

Survivors have to pick up parts nearby. The parts are always around 8-10 meters away (Maybe less; I can't really visualize a meter in game). Basically, there's a slight danger of being seen grabbing parts. But they are always close enough that it's not a mile-long hike.

This also slows down gen speeds; each part added lets the Survivor who added it work on the gen for <x> amount of time (Or until a Great skill check is hit; whichever comes first). Then, they need to go get another part.

If they try to repair without picking up parts; they do so at half speed. This can be useful if a gen is THIS CLOSE to being completed, but a Killer is coming. A risk vs reward thing.

If a Survivor is hit carrying a part, they drop it. If a Survivor tries to run while carrying a part, they drop it.

Dropped parts are claimed by the fog after <x> seconds. Meaning Survivors need to go back to the pile for another, if they wait too long to pick it back up.


In this way:

  1. Gen speeds are adjusted naturally, rather than adding seconds to gen times or slowing down repair speed numbers
  2. Survivors are doing more than just 'mindlessly holding M1', as I have heard many Survivors describe it.
  3. Survivors have to move around a bit, which may make them easier to spot at a distance. This makes it more likely Killers will see them instead of stomping around aimlessly. This could help Killers with low map pressure.


I am aware this idea is far from perfect, but I'm trying to make gen repairing more interactive, fix Killers with low map pressure, and adjust gen speeds without just altering some numbers in the code.

(Note: All mentions of '<x>' numbers are because I'm aware that number balancing is hard. This is more a proof of concept than a solid idea, so the numbers can be anything you think is balanced.)

Comments

  • I have enough games end with 2-5 gens as it is, I really don't need additional slowdowns.

    That also doesn't fix the problem of "just holding m1" at all. You're still just holding m1 as a survivor but now you're also having to go onb a scavenger hunt to hold m1 for the same amount of time.

  • @KolbyKolbyKolby said:

    I have enough games end with 2-5 gens as it is, I really don't need additional slowdowns.

    That also doesn't fix the problem of "just holding m1" at all. You're still just holding m1 as a survivor but now you're also having to go onb a scavenger hunt to hold m1 for the same amount of time.

    True, but I felt that it breaks up the 'just hold M1' parts enough.

    I kind of thought overhauling the whole thing to maybe be 'bring parts back, for <x>% progression per part installed' would be too big a change. I felt it would get too much pushback.

  • That could be a neat idea. A fix that changes how generators work in general would feel better. Instead of holding M1, you look for parts, each part fixes maybe 10% of a generator, it takes a few seconds to collect a part, and you could maybe carry a maximum of 3 parts by default. So if you spent 40 or 50 seconds running around collecting parts you could go to a gen and slam out 30% of it very quickly. Or some manner ot percentage and time that make it fair for everyone.


    Adjust some perks and change toolboxes to better fit the mechanic, give something like regression on base gen kicks to still have some kind of balance.