Super duper Hit Validation

My friend and I tried the functionality of the super stunning Hit Validation once again and it turns out

it still does not work - what a miracle ๐Ÿ™„


Our requirements:

  • My friend connected to a vpn in Australia from EU and had an ingame ping about 600 ms
  • I created a lobby so we get to EU servers; I had a ping of 28 ms


Convince yourself ๐Ÿ˜‰


https://youtu.be/40IPmtfIuV0


Do you think that killers should keep the authority over hits? Or would it be unfair if hits, grabs, etc are server sided instead of client sided?

Comments

  • they should be servier sided since begining of servers but devs just dont want ot hear killers outcry if they dont get hits

  • While I do agree that hit validation works in a questionable way, I don't think a custom game example works for the case, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't go through the servers, but it's actually p2p

  • Hit Validation as we have it now amounts to nothing more than a PR stunt. It was pretty clear when they said 150 ping is good during a devs' stream.

    Regarding hit authority, there are things that can be done to mitigate latency issues, R6 Siege being an example. I don't know if BHVR would be able to replicate that.

    I think at the very minimum a hard limit on ping should be implemented to tackle the VPNers.

  • @nursewannabe said:

    While I do agree that hit validation works in a questionable way, I don't think a custom game example works for the case, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't go through the servers, but it's actually p2p

    Obviously not correct, the op is the survivor and started the lobby, then whatever their screen shows is what's happening. Also they should have a 0 ping, not 28ms. Obviously the server decided that the ridiculous hit goes through. This guy just proved that server side hit validation is complete bullshit. Laggy killers get an unfair advantage. It's pathetic.

  • @Bwsted said:

    Hit Validation as we have it now amounts to nothing more than a PR stunt. It was pretty clear when they said 150 ping is good during a devs' stream.

    Regarding hit authority, there are things that can be done to mitigate latency issues, R6 Siege being an example. I don't know if BHVR would be able to replicate that.

    I think at the very minimum a hard limit on ping should be implemented to tackle the VPNers.

    Do you know if there is anything the player can do to reduce latency on their end?

  • @nursewannabe said:

    While I do agree that hit validation works in a questionable way, I don't think a custom game example works for the case, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't go through the servers, but it's actually p2p


    I think it also uses the servers in custom games. At least it says "connecting to servers" when the custom game starts.

    Here is an example of ONE instance where it actually worked:

    https://youtu.be/yBLNmGLk8NQ

    If it were p2p then i would go down.


    We tested it like 15 times and it only worked ONCE.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2174989#Comment_2174989

    Do you know if there is anything the player can do to reduce latency on their end?

    Aside from having a good ISP, the rest is basically to optimize your home network settings.

    @nursewannabe said:

    While I do agree that hit validation works in a questionable way, I don't think a custom game example works for the case, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't go through the servers, but it's actually p2p

    While this is a fair argument and there were already some comments about it, let's say that I have a 'friend' who tested hit validation in the same fashion on live servers and the results were the same at about 300 ping. I.e. no hits were rejected. Survivors also had absurdely slow reaction time when you rounded a corner (peeker's advantage).