Do killers have a totem preference when they pick chases?

Basically I'll be on a totem & around me there'll be a guy on a gen. Instead of chasing the guy off the gen they go after me on a totem. Mind you these are killer that aren't running Undying or NOED, or the person on the gen is hiding or something, but it's like they can clearly hear AND see the person working on the gen as well as the crinkling of a dull totem being cleansed but they pick to chase me. Moreover, I play killer so I'll try to hit both, but obviously losing a gen is worse than losing a dull totem. Play how you want but just why, why do this >:/

Comments

  • Technically it wastes more survivor time as you'd have to redo the entire totem again but practically there's no reason for it unless you're out of position for a quick down.

    Also the killer might have noticed you first before the person on the generator and got tunnel vision making them not notice the generator.

  • it just means all the time you put into the totem was completely wasted, which is a big win for the killer.

  • Survivors on totems are typically more greedy, thinking they'll go unnnoticed/ignored in favor of the survivors on gens and they also like to try to finish cleansing, giving you a possible grab. At worst you get a free hit and you rotate to the people on gens, or commit to the an already injured totem hunter if the gen jockeys ran early.

  • As a survivor main, the choice here seems obvious to me. Get the survivor off of the totem ASAP, because I don't know how long until they finish the job. I can make a judgement call on the generator by sound and/or sight, but I know that totem will disappear by the time I go for the gen.

  • I mean if its their hex it means a lot more than a gen and also totems reset entirely whn you push someone off but gens dont.

  • If the gen is not very advanced and I dont have PGTW I may chase the Totem guy away, especially if I think I can get an easy hit, after that I will probably go after the one on the gen, with this I get a free hit and I also give the cleanser the idea I want to protect Totems so he may think I have NOED (I dont) and want to preserve them for it, enticing him to cleanse and wasting time on the process for nothing.

  • Survivors often get greedy trying to finish a totem and also act like killers can't hear them being cleansed so, free hit. Also if I seem concerned about my dull totems they might think I have noed, and I'd like them to think that.